Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

After 15 years, I'm finally a US citizen.

After 15 years, I'm finally a US citizen.

Old Dec 14th 2020, 10:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 15 years, I'm finally a US citizen.

Originally Posted by Rose tea
I do feel lucky, yes! When I submitted stuff online, it said that everything was backed up and was going to take a long time - but it also said that my estimated completion time was 4 months, which I assumed was an error. I guess it wasn't. We recently got a brand new USCIS facility, so I think they can just handle a lot more stuff. That's my guess, anyway.

And weirdly enough, the USCIS officer switched my path from the 5 year GC path to the 3 year USC marriage path, while I was there. I'm not sure why or what difference that made, but I just said sure, that's fine.

Now that is very strange. Why would he do that unless you were not qualified under the 5 year rule. Perhaps you were a few months short of the 5 years?

Regardless I don't see how he would note this change as the naturalization is the very same and makes no difference to the naturalizer.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 10:38 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Now that is very strange. Why would he do that unless you were not qualified under the 5 year rule. Perhaps you were a few months short of the 5 years?

Regardless I don't see how he would note this change as the naturalization is the very same and makes no difference to the naturalizer.
He would change it on the form.. my interviewer had to make changes to mine for for information a bug in the online system did not save... he also changed my “current”citizenship to a different one... despite me having followed the guidance on the form... that actually changed what was printed on my form... but I agreed that it does not change the end result... maybe it makes a difference on some stats they collate and there is an agenda to show more family based vs. from employment...
Old Dec 15th 2020, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Congratulations on your Citizenship. Are you able to tell me if the 4 months timeframe from filing N400 is because of the family route for you or is it for the general public too? We file for Naturalization in January so just wanting to gain a perspective on the timeframe
It has nothing to do with your eligibility factors but everything to do with your local office. I filed in September 2019 (yes, 2019) and have not heard a peep since October 2019 when they did my biometrics. It’s because my “local” office is so slow. They are currently allocating interview dates to people who applied in June and July of last year so I have a few months to go. I say “local” office in quotations because I’m geographically much closer to another office that is faster. But my zip code is not assigned to that office.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

I'd had a GC for 8 years, so no idea. I filed electronically, so it's easier for them to change all kinds of stuff now. He also updated my place of employment, which was just about to change. A couple of the questions about terrorism and war crimes didn't show up as answered in the online application apparently, despite the fact I remember answering them, so he had to ask me those again and check the NO boxes.

Like you said, it shouldn't make any difference, but there you are.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Cloughie78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations.