Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

the Affadavit of Support after the I-129F is accepted

the Affadavit of Support after the I-129F is accepted

Old Apr 21st 2001, 1:10 pm
Jonathan Arendt

I was wondering about the affidavit of support. After the I-129F is accepted and my
fiance goes to the interview, she will have to have the Affadavit of Support from me
in her hands, correct? This has me concerned regarding some of the posts I have read.
I graduated with my Masters in August and began working that same month. I make well
above the poverty level, but have only been making that the last eight months. I
thought I read that I had to have been making this money for the past 3 years. Is
that true? Will I need a co-sponsor? If so, should I go ahead and find one now? Can
that be done ahead of time? It is just that after all of this waiting on the TSC, I
do not want to prolong this agony by having her visa rejected b/c I have only been
making real money for the past 8 mos. since before that I was in school. Any help is
MUCH appreciated - as always.

Much obliged - Jonathan

Old Apr 21st 2001, 2:36 pm
rbacher

Which consulate? I think it is very important. I think they do it different ways at
different consulates. In my case the consulate is Moscow and, after posting a
question myself on this subject, I learned that Moscow doesn't require an Affidavit
of Support at all, only some evidence in some form that you can support your fiancee
(and her children, if any). Also, you raise the issue of tax returns for 3 years.
That's what I thought at first, but I think I was mistaken. The I-864 requires tax
returns for 3 years, but the K-1 visa calls for the I-324 affidavit, not the I-864,
and the I-324 requires only the most recent year (I think -- get the instructions
that come with it and follow them, not me). Finally, let me suggest that you send
email directly to the consulate and ask them what they want. I did, and I got a
prompt response which put me greatly at ease in this process which I, like you, am
going through for the first, and only, time in my life. Good luck

P.S. If it is Moscow, let me know. I have met a couple of people so far with Russian
fiancees, and we have been able to help each other.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
one
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 22nd 2001, 12:08 am
mhaley12345

As was mentioned, consulate could make a difference. But we were in a similiar
situation with London. I graduated in May 2000 and started teaching in August. I-129F
was sent in Oct., approved in Jan. 2001. My letters of employment and pay stubs with
my Affidavit of Support were fine, no co-sponsor needed. I did not send tax
transcripts or returns to London. We just took in the last 3 years tax transcripts a
few days ago with the AOS paperwork and I did no make the 125% for any of those years
as I was a full time student. Again, my current income is what mattered most. Good
luck to you!