Wikiposts

Advise+ out of status.

Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:08 pm
-Victoria

Default Advise+ out of status.

Hey guys,
Maybe you know this. I came to the states in Feb., married and did not apply for the adjustment of status. My husband and I thought we will be able to apply for this any time but somebody told us that my adjustment status is expired now and I do not know what to do... :? .

Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:15 pm
-Victoria

Default Re: Advise+ out of status.

I had a Fiancee Visa, but now I was told I am out of status and I do not know to apply for the AOS or not?.

Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:14 am
Nilda

Did u get married within the 90 day period? I dont think you will have a problem... who told you you cant apply anymore?.

Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:01 pm
-Victoria

Some lawyer told me that I am out of status now and I can apply for the green card any time? can u clarify this a little?.

Old Jan 6th 2007, 4:08 pm
Nilda

I always thought that once you married a US Citizen as long as you entered legally and didnt violated any law like felony your are forgivable.

I came here on B1/B2 and married a US citizen... we we'rent able to file our AOS right away so I was out of status for few months. I called the Immigration and asked if I will have a problem... they said No and said just make sure to file the AOS as soon as possible and dont leave the country without getting the GC first.

I didnt have a problem actually when I had my interview she didnt even care about my status all she asked if how I entered the US and when she saw B1/B2... she said legally ... you have no problem.

Try to call the immigration, if you're afraid dont give your name or might as well consult another lawyer.

This is just my opinion.

Goodluck. .

Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all

You are out of status and so can't work legally. As other posters have stated, as long as you got married in the correct window, and try to file for AOS as soon as you can, they tend to ignore the out of status situation in the case where the AOS is based on marriage to a US citizen
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlightRisk
You are out of status and so can't work legally. As other posters have stated, as long as you got married in the correct window, and try to file for AOS as soon as you can, they tend to ignore the out of status situation in the case where the AOS is based on marriage to a US citizen
Even if she didn't marry in the correct window of time she can still file for AOS as long as she married the person who filed for her. She will need the I-130 in addition to the other AOS documents. But will have to understand that she has been out of status from the moment her I-94 expired and/or the visa she used to get into the US.

Shaking head at the stupidity of some people who have not researched the adjustment process for migrating to a foreign country thoroughly and have placed their lives in jeopardy for failure to think ahead.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 14th 2007 at 4:31 am.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Shaking head at the stupidity of some people who have not researched the adjustment process for migrating to a foreign country thoroughly and have placed their lives in jeopardy for failure to think ahead.

You must do a LOT of headshaking. That could cause brain damage. I suggest using a simple explitive as an alternative. But you're right..amazing how many ignore the rules or fail to research them and then go "Oooops Now What?"
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
You must do a LOT of headshaking. That could cause brain damage. I suggest using a simple explitive as an alternative. But you're right..amazing how many ignore the rules or fail to research them and then go "Oooops Now What?"

LOL Have shaken my head so much in the last 9 years that some of the loose grey matter has slipped out through my ears ;-)
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
LOL Have shaken my head so much in the last 9 years that some of the loose grey matter has slipped out through my ears ;-)
That's just not healthy..not to mention the mental image of grey matter oozing from your ears is quite disturbing. There goes my lunch .
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -Victoria
I had a Fiancee Visa, but now I was told I am out of status and I do not know to apply for the AOS or not?.
I would apply as soon as possible. If you are more than six months expired you may have to file for a waiver. If you are more than one year you
"could" be subject to a ten year ban. For six months it would "only" be three years.

t
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lpdiver
I would apply as soon as possible. If you are more than six months expired you may have to file for a waiver. If you are more than one year you
"could" be subject to a ten year ban. For six months it would "only" be three years.

t
The ban only applies if she leaves the USA, of course.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:16 am
Concierge

t
A waiver for what? In a case like this, marriage to a USC the only time you need a waiver for overstay is if you are applying for an immediate relative visa outside of the US. The USCIS doesn't care if you have overstayed 10 years as long as you entered legally/documented.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

OOPs...missed the fact that they hadn't left.

"placed their lives at jeopardy?" I wasn't aware that immigrations violations were capital.

T
Old Jan 15th 2007, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

OOPs...missed the fact that they hadn't left.

"placed their lives at jeopardy?" I wasn't aware that immigrations violations were capital.

T
I believe its something they are considering adding to the Senate Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill.

After Saddam's Video was such a big hit, it seems the way to go.