Advice needed please

Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

UKtoAUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed please

Thanks in advance for any advise
after getting back to the UK following another holiday in California, we are seriously considering a move over there. As I think our situation is a bit complicated I am looking for any advice I can take. I am a 35 Year old with a British and Italian pasport, my girlfriend is 38 and British, we have a 2 year old daughter,we have been together 9 years and are not married. My father has a US passport. We have a UJ property portfolio which is our source of income. Can anyone help out with the best procedure to get us over there. Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2018, 10:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Advice needed please

Welcome to BE. Here is the information you are looking for, but perhaps you can advise how your father comes to have a US passport, in case that may be of assistance. The other routes are via employment.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA
Old Nov 13th 2018, 10:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish to move together as a family (assuming you find a visa path), you will need to be legally married.

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I'm British and my dad was American. I was able to assume my father's nationality and become US citizen. I don't know if you can do that but might make things easier for you.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 3:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is a UJ Property Portfolio?
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the very limited information you have posted you are looking at a $500k investment (which you may or may not get back) in order to 'buy' Green Cards for your family. EB-5.

You'll need to be married in order to move as a family.

EDIT: Your father has a US passport which I missed. When did he obtain Citizenship? That opens up the possibility of an IR visa, but likely in the F3 category which means a wait of many years (currently at least 12 years)

Last edited by civilservant; Nov 14th 2018 at 12:31 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While I caught the father's US passport comment at first read, I didn't have an opportunity to question you.

How did your father obtain his US Citizenship (a US passport is his proof of US citizenship)? Your answer opens up an entire new realm of possibilities for you in a quest to live in the US. Please be as precise and factual in your reply as much hinges on knowing the correct details of your father's US citizenship. BTW is he still living and do you have a relationship?
Old Nov 14th 2018, 1:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

And is he still living in the USA?

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

UKtoAUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies, the UJ was a typo meant to say UK property portfolio. We were hoping to be able to live there from the income it makes. As for my father, he lived in the US with his family when he was younger and became a naturalised citizen,we also have a close relationship.I wondered if the way to go would be for me to apply for citizenship, then a passport and then get married or get married first and then apply as a family. Thanks again.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKtoAUSA
Thanks for all your replies, the UJ was a typo meant to say UK property portfolio. We were hoping to be able to live there from the income it makes. As for my father, he lived in the US with his family when he was younger and became a naturalised citizen,we also have a close relationship.I wondered if the way to go would be for me to apply for citizenship, then a passport and then get married or get married first and then apply as a family. Thanks again.
No, there is no way for you to obtain US citizenship through your father. He is a naturalized US citizen and as such unless you lived with him as a child and entered the US with a green card before your 18th birthday and he was already a US citizen, or you, yourself, were born in the US, you have no claim to US citizenship.

He can petition for you and your wife (not a SO/partner) and daughter for an immediate relative visa but it will take many years before the it becomes current and you can apply in the UK at the US Embassy for the visa.

Since you don't want to work, and perhaps do not have the qualifications for a work visa, your only hope is the above or just come to the US once or twice a year under the VWP.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 14th 2018 at 5:42 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot just 'apply for citizenship' without first qualifying. Which is why we were asking the follow up questions. Based on what you have said, your father could not pass US Citizenship to you after your 18th birthday.

He can petition for you and your family for relative visas, but as I said that will take at least 12 years.

Your best and quickest route would likely be to liquidate your assets (if they come to $500k) and buy yourself a Green Card.

Last edited by civilservant; Nov 14th 2018 at 5:42 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:41 pm
Concierge

P.S. why does your nick say UK to Australia?
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:45 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by civilservant
You cannot just 'apply for citizenship' without first qualifying. Which is why we were asking the follow up questions. Based on what you have said, your father could not pass US Citizenship to you after your 18th birthday.
And even then, only if he had entered the US with an immediate relative visa/green card before he turned 18. At that point, he would have automatically become a US Citizen. We don't know the circumstances of his birth, where is father was living at the time of the son's birth, was the father already a US Citizen, or did he get his US Citizenship based on his marriage to a USC spouse (second wife) or what the OP's mom his dad's second wife.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 14th 2018 at 6:12 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:49 pm
Often not so civil...

Like we always say, to get good information you have to give information... and here we have almost no information at all!
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the OP is a USC likely to have some seriously complicated tax issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.