Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on what visa and if possible

Advice on what visa and if possible

Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by jamesharvey3
yes I’m fully aware, after 3 weeks in California from San Fran to LA how expensive it can be, for the record the starting salary will be $130,000
In all honesty, that doesn't sound like the kind of salary that would enable your wife to not work, for a family of 4 in OC, but a forum search will bring up info, I'm sure there are lots of threads about the cost of living there. Do also look in to what medical you're being offered, as you could end up having to pay a four figure sum each month just for that, depending on the package offered by the employer.

Best of luck to you, hope the immi lawyer can come up with a good strategy.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 9:53 am
Just Joined

jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In all honesty, that doesn't sound like the kind of salary that would enable your wife to not work, for a family of 4 in OC, but a forum search will bring up info, I'm sure there are lots of threads about the cost of living there. Do also look in to what medical you're being offered, as you could end up having to pay a four figure sum each month just for that, depending on the package offered by the employer.

Best of luck to you, hope the immi lawyer can come up with a good strategy.
firstly, I have no idea why some of my responses look like gibberish, I have switched from a laptop to iPhone.

chrismasoompa- thank you for that info, that’s really interesting to know, I did think it would be enough to live on, I’m not coming to get rich just a better way of life, my wife would be happy to work if needed(she obviously will have to) we just preferred for her to be at home bringing the children up, they are almost grown up now anyway.
as for medical, it’s not been discussed yet, any suggestions on what I should ask for?

again thanks for the responses they’ve been really helpful in gaining more knowledge

jim
Old Sep 6th 2018, 10:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

firstly, I have no idea why some of my responses look like gibberish, I have switched from a laptop to iPhone.

chrismasoompa- thank you for that info, that’s really interesting to know, I did think it would be enough to live on, I’m not coming to get rich just a better way of life, my wife would be happy to work if needed(she obviously will have to) we just preferred for her to be at home bringing the children up, they are almost grown up now anyway.
as for medical, it’s not been discussed yet, any suggestions on what I should ask for?

again thanks for the responses they’ve been really helpful in gaining more knowledge

jim
They look fine to me, but I'm on a laptop too!

Your salary may be enough alone, I'm only going on what I've read on the forum about the cost of living in OC, but it would be worth doing a forum searchand I'd also suggest you start new threads in the main forum about cost of living and medical. I just did a quick search and found lots of threads about Irvine and salary/COL. For example this thread, where the it's in the same area and the salary is $120k - given it was a few years ago, it's probably a useful comparable as COL will have risen since then..........Moving to Orange County CA... we think. Your company will probably have a standard medical package, so personally I'd find out what that is asap, as in the US that's a pretty crucial part of any job negotiations.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 11:56 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for all that info, really helpful, the job is based in Irvine, Orange county, yes the guy is prepared to pay he’s the one that offered to pay for the attorney, as for living expenses, yes I’m fully aware, after 3 weeks in California from San Fran to LA how expensive it can be, for the record the starting salary will be $130,000, I’m also fully aware I’m not coming for a holiday and life’s different, thanks again for your explanation
$130,00 for 4 of you in Irvine? He’s laughing at you. I wouldn’t leave the U.K. for that. It’s doable but not the lifestyle you are probably dreaming of - house with a pool, nice cars, etc. Between a, my husband and I Mary close to $130,000 a year but we have no children. We are not in California but we are in western Washington which doesn’t sit far behind California in the ranks of most expensive places in the USA to live. And Washington doesn’t have state income tax so we take home a higher disposable income than folks in California.

I know you think you know what it’s like here after your three-week holiday but with respect you don’t have a clue. You didn’t pay a utility bill, make a car insurance payment, pay a healthcare premium, visit a doctor or a dentist, need to get glasses, pay a mobile phone bill during that time. Bearing in mind you will be doing all of that with no credit history here so you’re going to be on the highest rate of interest until you can establish yourself. Looking at the calculator that will give you around $7500 net take-home pay each month. A three-bed house is about $3500 rent a month.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They look fine to me, but I'm on a laptop too!

Your salary may be enough alone, I'm only going on what I've read on the forum about the cost of living in OC, but it would be worth doing a forum searchand I'd also suggest you start new threads in the main forum about cost of living and medical. I just did a quick search and found lots of threads about Irvine and salary/COL. For example this thread, where the it's in the same area and the salary is $120k - given it was a few years ago, it's probably a useful comparable as COL will have risen since then..........Moving to Orange County CA... we think. Your company will probably have a standard medical package, so personally I'd find out what that is asap, as in the US that's a pretty crucial part of any job negotiations.

Best of luck.
thanks again
Old Sep 6th 2018, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

$130,00 for 4 of you in Irvine? He’s laughing at you. I wouldn’t leave the U.K. for that. It’s doable but not the lifestyle you are probably dreaming of - house with a pool, nice cars, etc. Between a, my husband and I Mary close to $130,000 a year but we have no children. We are not in California but we are in western Washington which doesn’t sit far behind California in the ranks of most expensive places in the USA to live. And Washington doesn’t have state income tax so we take home a higher disposable income than folks in California.

I know you think you know what it’s like here after your three-week holiday but with respect you don’t have a clue. You didn’t pay a utility bill, make a car insurance payment, pay a healthcare premium, visit a doctor or a dentist, need to get glasses, pay a mobile phone bill during that time. Bearing in mind you will be doing all of that with no credit history here so you’re going to be on the highest rate of interest until you can establish yourself. Looking at the calculator that will give you around $7500 net take-home pay each month. A three-bed house is about $3500 rent a month.
firstly thanks for the response, I don’t know what it is with negativity on this forum but “you don’t have a clue” is a bit harsh, I’ve come here for advice as I don’t know it all!!!

But what I do know is, I’ve not been planning this since I got back from my Californian holiday and fell in love with the place, yes I like it but I’ve been looking for 2 years or more, my initial post said I’d already been to Tampa for an interview and spent a week there, this isn’t a holiday hangover or first USA visit, I actually got married in nyc in 2014 so I know what the country is all about, I don’t know everything I agree, but hence the reason I came here to get a bit of help/info and experience from others, not to be insulted for asking a question.
thanks for your reply though as I did gain some info from it
jim
Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:05 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

firstly thanks for the response, I don’t know what it is with negativity on this forum but “you don’t have a clue” is a bit harsh, I’ve come here for advice as I don’t know it all!!!

But what I do know is, I’ve not been planning this since I got back from my Californian holiday and fell in love with the place, yes I like it but I’ve been looking for 2 years or more, my initial post said I’d already been to Tampa for an interview and spent a week there, this isn’t a holiday hangover or first USA visit, I actually got married in nyc in 2014 so I know what the country is all about, I don’t know everything I agree, but hence the reason I came here to get a bit of help/info and experience from others, not to be insulted for asking a question.
thanks for your reply though as I did gain some info from it
jim
Don’t confuse harsh reality with rudeness or insults. You have to remember we see posts like this every week almost. More than 90% of the posters have no chance of coming here but don’t seem to accept it. Your chance is slightly higher than most but the reality is that immigrating here through the work visa route is not easy. The system has been designed to exclude as many people as possible and let only a handful of certain occupations through at a time. And if Trump follows through on anything that he kept saying during his campaign it will only get even more exclusive. Many people think getting a job offer us the hard part and the visa is easy. Not so.

You our have been given some very good insider knowledge from those of us who have moved from the U.K. to the USA. This is the reality. Do you want us to lie and tell you that on $130,000 your family of 4 will be living in a house with a pool, have 2 nice sports cars, jetting off to Hawaii on holiday each year? It’s not going to happen. You said you want to do this for a “better life” but what’s better about life if you’ll barely be getting by? What will you do if one if you needs extensive dental work or new glasses? More than 60% of Americans have less than $1500 in savings and the biggest cause of personal bankruptcy here is medical bills. Think on that for a moment.

As as I said, it’s doable. I never said it wasn’t so I don’t know why you think I’m being negative. It’s just not doable as you are probably thinking. It’s good that you are already coming round to the idea that your wife would have to work. The problem is, on some visa types she wouldn’t be able to so your options are limited even further.

I stand by my comment that your visits have not prepared you for living here in any way. I visited over 40 times before I moved here. And I wasn’t in a hotel - I was with my husband going through mundane day-to-day life at his place and it still wasn’t the same as living here.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I agree with some people who are saying you won't be able to survive on $130,000 per year. True, you may not be able to afford a big house with a pool and two nice cars. But you certainly won't starve. My suggestion would be to start out small. Rent a modest apartment, buy a modest car, etc. See how it goes. If, after a while, you find that your salary alone isn't enough, then your wife can look into getting a job.

I do agree with everyone about health insurance. Normally, your employer would pay most of the cost of coverage. But you should verify that. If you had to pay all of your own health insurance, that could be a significant amount.

- Eric S.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eric S
I'm not sure I agree with some people who are saying you won't be able to survive on $130,000 per year. True, you may not be able to afford a big house with a pool and two nice cars. But you certainly won't starve. My suggestion would be to start out small. Rent a modest apartment, buy a modest car, etc. See how it goes. If, after a while, you find that your salary alone isn't enough, then your wife can look into getting a job.

I do agree with everyone about health insurance. Normally, your employer would pay most of the cost of coverage. But you should verify that. If you had to pay all of your own health insurance, that could be a significant amount.

- Eric S.
BE World is not the real world, I wonder what percentage of the population earn anything like that.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
BE World is not the real world, I wonder what percentage of the population earn anything like that.
My last job offer in CA (Santa Clara) was in the $180k range and I declined it as I'd have been taking an effective pay cut, despite that being WAY more than I make now - cost of living in CA (& NYC, for that matter) is another thing entirely by comparison to the rest of the US.

That would have given a "good" quality of living for myself and wife, but not "excellent". My wife also works, but makes mostly minimal wage, so a nominal increase.

Now, if the offer was 130k in Florida, I'd suggest he jump at it!
Old Sep 6th 2018, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather proves the point.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the housing costs, the health insurance and car insurance - those were the ones most likely to impact what a comfortable take home equates to.

I moved to Atlanta, on $120k, employer HC but I pay $200 a month. Car Insurance on two cars started off at $380 a month, eye watering! We chose a location in a lower cost of living side of Atlanta (which is expensive, but not CA levels) which offset some of those costs. Ended up in a 5 bed house 3 times the size of what I had in Swindon, with amazing weather :-)

Moral of the story - do some research, options exist, and plenty of people live on less. It will depend largely on what you are trying to achieve, what you have today and what you expect from the move.

Oh, and get two TV's, pop CNN on one and FoxNews on the other and watch in amazement.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

Don’t confuse harsh reality with rudeness or insults. You have to remember we see posts like this every week almost. More than 90% of the posters have no chance of coming here but don’t seem to accept it. Your chance is slightly higher than most but the reality is that immigrating here through the work visa route is not easy. The system has been designed to exclude as many people as possible and let only a handful of certain occupations through at a time. And if Trump follows through on anything that he kept saying during his campaign it will only get even more exclusive. Many people think getting a job offer us the hard part and the visa is easy. Not so.

You our have been given some very good insider knowledge from those of us who have moved from the U.K. to the USA. This is the reality. Do you want us to lie and tell you that on $130,000 your family of 4 will be living in a house with a pool, have 2 nice sports cars, jetting off to Hawaii on holiday each year? It’s not going to happen. You said you want to do this for a “better life” but what’s better about life if you’ll barely be getting by? What will you do if one if you needs extensive dental work or new glasses? More than 60% of Americans have less than $1500 in savings and the biggest cause of personal bankruptcy here is medical bills. Think on that for a moment.

As as I said, it’s doable. I never said it wasn’t so I don’t know why you think I’m being negative. It’s just not doable as you are probably thinking. It’s good that you are already coming round to the idea that your wife would have to work. The problem is, on some visa types she wouldn’t be able to so your options are limited even further.

I stand by my comment that your visits have not prepared you for living here in any way. I visited over 40 times before I moved here. And I wasn’t in a hotel - I was with my husband going through mundane day-to-day life at his place and it still wasn’t the same as living here.

Let us know how it goes.
Im a destination expert on tripadvisor for a certain place's forum, I'm used to getting asked the same question a thousand times a year, rudeness or bluntness is something i dont see as appropriate when someone is looking for some advice, I dont get why youd come to a forum to be harsh, just dont help out, I came to her the truth but theres a way to say it.

Next, I didnt say I'm coming for a "better life", I have a good life, I said "a better way of life", thats not a finacial thing, its just general living thing, weather, location, as long as we get by in life thats all that matters, we are not material people, big houses and sports cars dont appeal to us, if we had them great, but its not what we strive for.

I appreciate the time you have taken in responding, a couple of questions, average salary in irvine is $69,000, how is 130,000 not going to be enough its almost twice as much, to be honest though this is a base salary with no add ons that will go up, ive just looked at a lovely 3 bed townhouse 2 bathrooms 1800 dollars a month, great for us, the local school is rated at 9-12 i actually dont understand that yet, maybe you misunderstood my original post, id love to live in the us, but im not coming to live the dream

jim
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eric S

- Eric S.
Thanks, thats exactly what we'd do
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
My last job offer in CA (Santa Clara) was in the $180k range and I declined it as I'd have been taking an effective pay cut, despite that being WAY more than I make now - cost of living in CA (& NYC, for that matter) is another thing entirely by comparison to the rest of the US.

That would have given a "good" quality of living for myself and wife, but not "excellent". My wife also works, but makes mostly minimal wage, so a nominal increase.

Now, if the offer was 130k in Florida, I'd suggest he jump at it!
thanks thats interesting to know, it was just that in tampa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.