Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on what visa and if possible

Advice on what visa and if possible

Old Sep 5th 2018, 8:49 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 17
jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on what visa and if possible

Hello everyone and firstly let me say, thank you if you respond(you've probably had this question a thousand times)
I work as a project manager in the storage industry, this is basically shelving and flooring for warehouses, ive been involved in this business for 25 years.
I've been a project manager for 15 of my 25 years, I only have a secondry school education as i know this matters for visas to the usa.

Earlier in the year I was contacted on Linkedin by a guy who owned a business in Tampa, he'd had a project manager role advertised on his website for 12 months, not being able to fill the job, he asked me to go over, i did, i got the job, we started what we thought was the right process and after a month he said the state dept had rejected my green card application, so that was the end of that from his point of view as he didnt want the state dept inspecting him, strange i thought, but that was that.

I've since been contacted again, this time by a guy in california, I recently met the guy whilst on holiday in san diego and he really wants me to work for him, he's setting up with a immigration lawyer to see if its possible for me to get a green card, i dont want to go on a visa, i would if it lead to a green card but id prefer to go green card straight away.
I'm fully aware how tricky it is for english people and especially not highly educated ones but i have experience in this field thats in demand in the usa.

I really just want some honest answers and find out if i have a hope in hell or im wasting my time and move on, I have a wife and two children 10,17.
the job will pay well so the wife wouldnt have to work if that helps.

I appreciate any advice
thank you

james harvey
jamesharvey3 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2018, 9:46 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,288
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

If the employer is going straight for the green card, your wife and children (under 18) will also get green cards.

I don't know the specific requirements, although I believe it's not a quick process. The employer will find all this out at the consultation with the immigration attorney and will let you know if it works for him or not.

There's not much you can do.
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2018, 9:50 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
BenK91's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 1,480
BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

As Noorah101 said, there really isn't much you can do.

Once your company has a discussion with an experienced immigration attorney there isn't much you can do until then. Once that discussion has taken place there will be some somewhat of a roadmap which we can then help you navigate somewhat.
BenK91 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2018, 9:52 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 17
jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Thanks for your initial response, we both realise it’s a slow process, I was just wondering if any of you guys had an idea if it’s possible and or any advice
tganks again
jamesharvey3 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2018, 10:44 pm
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,288
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

In general, ot is possible, yes.

For your specific case, I don't know. The immigrating attorney will know.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2018, 10:47 pm
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 364
az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by jamesharvey3 View Post
Thanks for your initial response, we both realise it’s a slow process, I was just wondering if any of you guys had an idea if it’s possible and or any advice
tganks again
Did you completely miss the first two replies or were they just not what you wanted to hear?

Read them again; that is your advice.
az2014 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2018, 11:06 pm
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,288
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

James,

What you will ultimately get is an Immigrant Visa, so don't be surprised if you hear that term. When you enter the USA using your immigrant visa, you immediately become a US Permanent Resident (i.e., you get a green card).

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 2:06 am
  #8  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Location: Cascade Mountains, WA
Posts: 1,089
Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

I would double check all the fine print of the "job offer". You didn't say which part of CA (I know you were on holiday in San Diego but I'm not sure if that's where the job is or if the boss travelled to San Diego to meet you) but a job in the most expensive state in the country that pays enough to keep a family of 4 comfortable enough to make the upheaval worthwhile...I'm not buying it. Healthcare? Moving costs? Help with finding a place to live? Are they providing all that? Don't be tempted by the common misconception that because the weather is warmer that life is easier here. California is a lot more expensive than the U.K. Don't translate the salary into pounds sterling. Find out what properties go for in that area. Can you afford to buy? You will need a hefty deposit as you will have no credit history here and will be starting from scratch. Likewise for a car. Check out what the property taxes are. Utilities and insurance are a lot higher than the U.K. Groceries too.

We see many, many people here who have been offered a job in the USA. But without the job being eligible for a visa or the employer prepared to pay the five-figure sum required to get the visa (assuming it is an eligible profession), the job offer isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Last edited by Twinkle0927; Sep 6th 2018 at 3:43 am.
Twinkle0927 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 3:35 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,714
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

EB3 would be the category.
Boiler is online now  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 5:36 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 334
TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
EB3 would be the category.
Boiler is correct, EB3 seems to be the most logical category.

You may face some challenges given your lack of an "advanced degree" but your 25 years experience would certainly help mitigate some of those challenges.

You can find more information on EB-3 here (scroll down) - as always though the advice here is good. Be VERY sure that what you're being offered is truly a good wage, too. What you have to understand, especially for CA is that the cost of living is absolutely astronomical. For example: A 100k USD salary, which would be good for a family of 4 in the majority of the UK (except maybe London) is basically the equivalent of trying to live on 30k GBP in the UK, it's not exactly poverty line but not far off, I'm not trying to deter you, but definitely keep these things in mind.
TheKingOfHearts is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 6:31 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 17
jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by az2014 View Post
Did you completely miss the first two replies or were they just not what you wanted to hear?

Read them again; that is your advice.
i read them ok, there’s absolutely no need to be rude, if you can’t respond in a polite way why respond?
maybe a forum isn’t for you
jamesharvey3 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 6:35 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 17
jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
James,

What you will ultimately get is an Immigrant Visa, so don't be surprised if you hear that term. When you enter the USA using your immigrant visa, you immediately become a US Permanent Resident (i.e., you get a green card).

Rene
thank you


jamesharvey3 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 6:44 am
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 17
jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 View Post
I would double check all the fine print of the "job offer". You didn't say which part of CA (I know you were on holiday in San Diego but I'm not sure if that's where the job is or if the boss travelled to San Diego to meet you) but a job in the most expensive state in the country that pays enough to keep a family of 4 comfortable enough to make the upheaval worthwhile...I'm not buying it. Healthcare? Moving costs? Help with finding a place to live? Are they providing all that? Don't be tempted by the common misconception that because the weather is warmer that life is easier here. California is a lot more expensive than the U.K. Don't translate the salary into pounds sterling. Find out what properties go for in that area. Can you afford to buy? You will need a hefty deposit as you will have no credit history here and will be starting from scratch. Likewise for a car. Check out what the property taxes are. Utilities and insurance are a lot higher than the U.K. Groceries too.

We see many, many people here who have been offered a job in the USA. But without the job being eligible for a visa or the employer prepared to pay the five-figure sum required to get the visa (assuming it is an eligible profession), the job offer isn't worth the paper it's written on.
thank you for all that info, really helpful, the job is based in Irvine, Orange county, yes the guy is prepared to pay he’s the one that offered to pay for the attorney, as for living expenses, yes I’m fully aware, after 3 weeks in California from San Fran to LA how expensive it can be, for the record the starting salary will be $130,000, I’m also fully aware I’m not coming for a holiday and life’s different, thanks again for your explanation
jamesharvey3 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 6:56 am
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 17
jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
EB3 would be the category.

thanks, helpful to know
jamesharvey3 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 6:58 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 17
jamesharvey3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on what visa and if possible

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts View Post
Boiler is correct, EB3 seems to be the most logical category.

You may face some challenges given your lack of an "advanced degree" but your 25 years experience would certainly help mitigate some of those challenges.

You can find more information on EB-3 here (scroll down) - as always though the advice here is good. Be VERY sure that what you're being offered is truly a good wage, too. What you have to understand, especially for CA is that the cost of living is absolutely astronomical. For example: A 100k USD salary, which would be good for a family of 4 in the majority of the UK (except maybe London) is basically the equivalent of trying to live on 30k GBP in the UK, it's not exactly poverty line but not far off, I'm not trying to deter you, but definitely keep these things in mind.
thanks, appreciate the link, I couldn’t figure out for the life of me which visa it was,
really helpful
jamesharvey3 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.