Advice - Stupid Mistake

Old Jan 6th 2020, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Lesley Chow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice - Stupid Mistake

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Nope. As you have already been told, the ESTA is a less serious issue than the fact you have a drugs violation in your past.
Thanks. Hopefully the wording is accurate and it’s not even a charge. I’ll update the group once the police certificate arrives.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The question is not what appears on your Acrow.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 3:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No point in panicking until you get the ACRO report back and see what is actually on your record. Likely to need an SAR to the local nick that dealt with you too.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
No point in panicking until you get the ACRO report back and see what is actually on your record. Likely to need an SAR to the local nick that dealt with you too.
If it is no live trace do you need to accompany that with an SAR? I read on other questions they just ask you what it is etc.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 3:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley Chow

If it is no live trace do you need to accompany that with an SAR? I read on other questions they just ask you what it is etc.

Only 'No trace' means you are in the clear.

'No live trace' means there is valid information that has not been shown because of it's age. The US, however, has no such law that removes past transgressions from view. They will want to know what happened.

They or may not accept your word and I would be prepared to answer any and all questions/requests for documents.

Last edited by civilservant; Jan 6th 2020 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Only 'No trace' means you are in the clear.

'No live trace' means there is valid information that has not been show because of it's age. The US, however, has no such law that removes past transgressions from view. They will want to know what happened.

They or may not accept your word and I would be prepared to answer any and all questions/requests for documents.
Makes sense, cheers.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Just off the phone to the lawyer and she recommended we don’t even apply due to the ESTA issue.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:07 pm
Often not so civil...

I understand the concern due to the potential misrep issue, but I don't think it's as bad as the attorney appears to think it is.

Is this the companys lawyer or did you consult one independently?
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

I understand the concern due to the potential misrep issue, but I don't think it's as bad as the attorney appears to think it is.

Is this the companys lawyer or did you consult one independently?
Company appointed immigration lawyer.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:10 pm
Often not so civil...

Ah. That's why. They're being a good steward of the companies money - if there's a chance of you getting denied, the company is possibly pouring money down the drain.

That said, I think it's worth a one time consultation with a second, independent, immigration lawyer. I have a feeling they will have a very different opinion.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. That's why. They're being a good steward of the companies money - if there's a chance of you getting denied, the company is possibly pouring money down the drain.

That said, I think it's worth a one time consultation with a second, independent, immigration lawyer. I have a feeling they will have a very different opinion.
But is it worth spending the OP’s own cash if the company is being advised by its attorney not to proceed? It seems unlikely they would take the advice of someone other than their own counsel.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:37 pm
Often not so civil...

I agree, I would be looking to take advantage of a free consultation as there isn't any point putting money into it.

The OP hasn't stated what the company are saying after this little chat with the attorney, so I don't think we can say what the company will do right now.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Will they tell the company?
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is possible to overcome. Depends how you described the situation to your current immigration attorney - if you went in saying you screwed up your ESTA then that's the position they'll take. I'm not sure that you actually have, as others have said.

I have a similar story in that I did actually screw up my ESTA on a spent caution. I sitll live in the US now. You can overcome it with the right approach.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I think this is possible to overcome. Depends how you described the situation to your current immigration attorney - if you went in saying you screwed up your ESTA then that's the position they'll take. I'm not sure that you actually have, as others have said.

I have a similar story in that I did actually screw up my ESTA on a spent caution. I sitll live in the US now. You can overcome it with the right approach.
How did you do it if you do not mind me asking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.