Advice for a newbie

Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

M101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for a newbie

Hi Everybody,

I'm a UK Citizen and my partner and I are at the very beginning stages of thinking of a move to the US.

My OH is in the entertainment industry and plans to go over on a O1 visa (pls excuse me if I get any of the numbers/letters mixed still getting my head around it all) in 2011 because of an increasing amount of work.

I've started to look at what visa I could apply for and thought I would seek some advice from "you guys in the know" as its rather confusing.

Rather depressingly, I think I am gonna find it very tough, as ideally I would like to work whilst I am out there so am not dependant on my OH, so appreciate any advice, tips you can offer.

- I unfortunately don't work for a big employer, who I can apply for a transfer with but I do work in an industry, which I believe in the states is known as Homeowner Associations and thereby employ Community Managers (in the UK Estate Managers) to look after developments and would like to continue my career in this field if possible.

- I have emailed a number of companies and society's in the US to find out the likelihood on whether companies would sponsor me and also what qualifications I would need to attain to become more employable and whether I should do this in the UK before applying for the visa etc.

- I am presuming that its unlikely this particular industry would be classed as a "skilled worker"?

- Am always open to learning, what opportunities are there for student visa'a?

- Does the US treat civil partnerships the same when applying for a spouse visa?

Thanks

M
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a newbie

Originally Posted by M101
Rather depressingly, I think I am gonna find it very tough, as ideally I would like to work whilst I am out there so am not dependant on my OH, so appreciate any advice, tips you can offer.
Is the spouse of an O-1 visa holder not allowed work authorization?

- Does the US treat civil partnerships the same when applying for a spouse visa?
You must be legally married in order to obtain a spouse visa. It must be a heterosexual marriage.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asks about civil partnerships, so it must be a same-sex couple. B2 as cohabiting partner is a possibility, but it doesn't allow one to work.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
The OP asks about civil partnerships, so it must be a same-sex couple. B2 as cohabiting partner is a possibility, but it doesn't allow one to work.
Thanks. I don't know anything about UK civil partnerships, I assumed it could be either same-sex or opposite-sex.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Spouses, Children & Partners
Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his/her stay require derivative O-3 or P-4 visas. Spouses and/or children who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas, or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program .

More information for partners and common-law spouses .
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks. I don't know anything about UK civil partnerships, I assumed it could be either same-sex or opposite-sex.
A "civil partnership" is the equivalent of marriage for a same-sex couple in the UK (except for the name).
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M101
Does the US treat civil partnerships the same when applying for a spouse visa?
Sadly, the US does not recognize a same-sex relationship for immigration purposes - even if that relationship is considered legally equivalent to "married" in another country. If you want to work in the US, you're going to have to find an appropriate visa on your own. There is a B-2 cohabiting partner visa, but you wouldn't be able to work... although you would be able to remain together - well, more or less.

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

M101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,

A big thanks for your responses, thats really helped a lot.

Unfortunately gone are the days where I can claim I am under 21 so its leaving me with a B-2 option but that is a real shame as I wouldn't want to be dependant on any one person.

Would it be possible to change from say a B-2 visa to a work sponsored visa once (fingers crossed) I am out there? or can you only ever be designated one type of visa?

I'm still researching into the work visa option, as I would have to take various exams to be compliant in the US and specifically California. But am still unsure whether the role is one that is in high demand or viewed as a skilled job.

Thanks again

M
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The job would require a degree and you would need to have one in that area.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Is the spouse of an O-1 visa holder not allowed work authorization?
No.

O-3 is every bit as much the "Visa from Hell" as the H-4 is.