Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice needed -USCIS Biometric Appointment

Advice needed -USCIS Biometric Appointment

Old Feb 27th 2021, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Anthony_M_Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed -USCIS Biometric Appointment

Hi All -

I’m hoping someone may be able to offer advice on my situation. I’m in the process of applying for my permanent residency (green card) and submitted an I-485 last February. I subsequently relocated in August and submitted an AR11 to change address with the case being moved to a new field office this past December.

To my surprise earlier this week I received a letter forwarded from my old address for a Biometrics appointment in the original USCIS field office!! I’m able/willing to travel as it’s now been over a year since my application but concerned it’s an error and they will not be able to process my case even if I attend as the case has been moved!

Has anyone had experience with transferring between USCIS locations during an application??? Any advice welcome! I’ve tried calling USCIS but no luck getting past the robo machine to speak to an agent!
Old Feb 27th 2021, 3:56 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed -USCIS Biometric Appointment

Originally Posted by Anthony_M_Smith
Hi All -

I’m hoping someone may be able to offer advice on my situation. I’m in the process of applying for my permanent residency (green card) and submitted an I-485 last February. I subsequently relocated in August and submitted an AR11 to change address with the case being moved to a new field office this past December.

To my surprise earlier this week I received a letter forwarded from my old address for a Biometrics appointment in the original USCIS field office!! I’m able/willing to travel as it’s now been over a year since my application but concerned it’s an error and they will not be able to process my case even if I attend as the case has been moved!

Has anyone had experience with transferring between USCIS locations during an application??? Any advice welcome! I’ve tried calling USCIS but no luck getting past the robo machine to speak to an agent!
Do not rationalise. Do what it says.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 4:25 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anthony_M_Smith
Hi All -

General comment - it has long been possible to have biometrics taken at ANY ASC location. They can also be taken in advance of the listed date.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
General comment - it has long been possible to have biometrics taken at ANY ASC location. They can also be taken in advance of the listed date.
The second part of this statement is currently not correct - biometrics can only be done on the day listed on the letter due to Covid restrictions.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 4:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docnetau
The second part of this statement is currently not correct - biometrics can only be done on the day listed on the letter due to Covid restrictions.

To my knowledge walking in and getting your biometrics even though you have an appointment letter for a different date and/or place was never 'advertised' by USCIS. Do you have something from the USCIS in published form that states that something not hyped before is now truly unavailable?
Old Feb 28th 2021, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
To my knowledge walking in and getting your biometrics even though you have an appointment letter for a different date and/or place was never 'advertised' by USCIS. Do you have something from the USCIS in published form that states that something not hyped before is now truly unavailable?
They sent a letter to several parties, but interestingly it doesn't appear that the details are posted on their website. There's a copy of the letter here

The relevant text is :
Walk-ins
Because of our COVID facility constraints, we cannot process walk-ins for biometrics collection except for military applicants and their family members when the principal applicant is scheduled for an appointment.

There have been multiple reports across various internet forums of people being turned away when they have attempted to appear on a different date, and the occasional (but rare) report of people being allowed.

Personally, my experience a few weeks ago was a little odd, but seems to back up others experienced. I received a letter that didn't actually include a specific appointment time, but told me to go to the ASC on "Monday-Friday, 8am to 3pm". Even with that, they initially rejected me and told me that I was only allowed to attend on the exact date stated on my letter - despite the fact my letter didn't actually list a specific date! It took much convincing, and getting several other staff at the ASC involved, before they finally allowed me to proceed. So it seems that the still can technically process walk-ins, but their current process states that they will not (except Military).
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Same happened to me. We were in California but to had to fly out to Pennsylvania even though we let them know about the change of address three months prior.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 4:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Having biometrics at a different time and place has always been somewhat of a crapshoot. Even before COVID, it was inadvisable to go first thing in the morning when there was a line. But honey (rather than vinegar) and working with the COVID restrictions will often work.

Do note that degree of lockdown can vary by location.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Meant to take a photo on the way out and completely forgot, but...

I was at the USCIS Field Office/ASC in San Jose California today. One of the signs beside the entrance specifically states that due to Covid they are not able to do "walk-in" appointments and that an interview was required. This was what appeared to be a commercially produced sign (ie, not just a printout) and was probably 2 feet wide and 1 foot high so I'm guessing it's something done for all offices and not done locally.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Anthony_M_Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the advice! The appointment was today and had absolutely no issues. I also managed to get through to USCIS and they have confirmed my address has been updated - I guess it was a mistake!

Fingers crossed i don’t need to go for another biometrics at the new location the case has been transferred to - I guess I’ll soon see!!

Thanks again.