Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice needed to help me move to the USA

Advice needed to help me move to the USA

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed to help me move to the USA

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A recent bbc.co.uk/news article noted that there are more British citizens living outside the UK than there are expat citizens from any other industrialized country, so you may have a point.
That didn't sound right so I looked it up - the Philippines has around 12m citizens abroad compared to the UK's 5m. Then I noticed the "industrialised" bit, but apparently the Philippines is a "newly industrialised country". So I guess it's a case of lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics. Slam in a few adjectives to create the answer you're looking for! (you as in one, rather than Mr P)
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
.... Slam in a few adjectives to create the answer you're looking for! ......
Yeah, it's a bit of a cop-out, because what it really means, based on population, that there are more British living outside the UK than there are expat French, Germans, Italians, or Americans, .... and perhaps Russians, all other countries are either smaller, and therefore unlikely to reach the same number, or deemed to be non-industrialized ..... but with a population of 1.3bn, you'd think that 1/2% of Chinese might have emigrated, and you'd think it would count as "industrialized" by now?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's a bit of a cop-out, because what it really means, based on population, that there are more British living outside the UK than there are expat French, Germans, Italians, or Americans, .... and perhaps Russians, all other countries are either smaller, and therefore unlikely to reach the same number, or deemed to be non-industrialized ..... but with a population of 1.3bn, you'd think that 1/2% of Chinese might have emigrated, and you'd think it would count as "industrialized" by now?
China is "newly industrialized" too , whatever your take on that is. Seems that is a bit of a woolly definition so profs can pigeonhole the country into a nice compartment depending on the phase of the moon.

But it's interesting that only an estimated 3-6m Americans live abroad which I guess is about 1-1.5%, compared to the 10-12% for Brits and Filipinos.

Maybe the American Dream really is alive and well - for Americans as well as foreigners? With emphasis on the "dream" bit.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Greece, Spain, and now Italy I hear (there's a thread started a couple of days ago in the Italy forum on the subject). Then there's Russia, and for that matter several other east European countries (notably Poland, with so many having arrived in the UK that Polish is now the most widely spoken foreign language in the UK!). And what about Ireland, which had had "people" as its primary export for most of the past couple of centuries? I visited there about 25 years ago, and sitting in a bar with about 15 people aged up to their mid 20's, all but two were working or had worked outside Ireland, of the two that hadn't, one was still at school, and the other was planning to; this may be an extreme example, but I believe it to be fairly typical of Ireland for all but a few years in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

A recent bbc.co.uk/news article noted that there are more British citizens living outside the UK than there are expat citizens from any other industrialized country, so you may have a point.
I meant a burning desire for people to move there.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Most of the emigration is economic, they would go elsewhere when the wind changes, Even all the interest in Australia seems based on knowing other who have been, it is assumed to be an easy option, memories of the five pound pom, or whatever the phrase was.

Only America seems to instil the passion, and from people who have never been, so many are not even interested in a vacation, it is all in on moving. (This is a general point, the OP in this thread has visited) I am sure there is a PhD to be done for some psychology student.

I feel almost embarrassed that I ended up here, US was way down my list of countries to visit.
There was another recent thread from someone who had never visited but had a desperate need to move here.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:32 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

I feel almost embarrassed that I ended up here, US was way down my list of countries to visit.
Ha, same here. If somebody had told me 25 years ago that I was going to up and move to the States (and, of course, it wasn't that simple), I would have thought they were barking. After nearly 22 years here, I think I'm the one that's barking.

I had the fantasy about moving to Australia. I do have family there and I did visit when I was 5.

Now I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I do know that wherever you go, there you are.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

bombadil is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting responses, I have met a lot of people who have expressed interest in at least visiting the US, probably everyone I have ever brought it up with. I haven't met many if any people who have overtly shown the same passion as I do.

I think there is something there for everyone. It's so big, it has some of the worlds largest and culturally interesting cities and yet some of the most beautiful wildernesses and rural areas. It has a very interesting inspiring and sometime dark history, but no matter where you find yourself on the political spectrum you will most likely find something in America that appeals to you. From the counter culture to the fiscal conservatism (allegedly) of the republicans. It's really a world in it's own. But you can be reasonably sure it won't shake your western value-set to much. I think the sense in which America is known to itself as the land of opportunity is probably quite false (especially as I have no opportunity to go there), but really, no matter who you are, once your in America you will have the opportunity to at least pursue the life you want. Now I know if i got there I would be working my ass off, but personally once I had got everything in a good place and had some time and money I would have to do an east > west road-trip

I think the increased exposure to American media also makes it feel like a second home almost. Many of the older generation will have been exposed to primarily British media, but now it's all American sitcoms, films and websites - at least growing up as British comedy can be much more challenging or offensive (of course not always).
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Substitute Europe for America in your description and you'll be closer to the truth
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

I guess America so attractive to so many people is because it is so difficult to get in through the legal immigration system.

When I first visited the USA, I was surprised to see so many fit people and so many runners instead of the reported 70% overweight (including 35% obese).

Regarding saving, have you tried spending £10 a week for food? You could actually eat very healthy meals rather than junk food. That was what I did when I wanted to save money for my study. Having said that, now one lunch often costs me about that.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
I When I first visited the USA, I was surprised to see so many fit people and so many runners instead of the reported 70% overweight (including 35% obese).
That's because the overweight ones were not out there running and exercising, so you just couldn't see them. LOL

Rene