Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice needed..ESTA waiver and visa plans

Advice needed..ESTA waiver and visa plans

Old Nov 29th 2018, 1:11 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed..ESTA waiver and visa plans

Originally Posted by Boiler
How long did you spend in the clink?
Sentenced to 12 weeks, served 6 weeks. A very small price to pay now that I look back, could have been a hell of a lot longer.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm not sure he'll end up with a misrep, we have seen people on BE before who claimed ignorance and at least one of them got cleared the hurdle. Something tells me that that was for an IR Green Card though, not a non-immigrant visa.
The question as it stands (which would have been the same when he was asked) is reasonably clear though - it doesn't fall into the ignorance category for me:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
Given the level of scrutiny that applications have been given over the last year, I can't see a ConOff determining that being oblivious of the Criminal Rehabilitation Act not being applicable in the US means he doesn't require a misrep waiver.

I dodged a misrep waiver because the questions were worded differently when I filled out mine, and you could reasonably respond no due to the ambiguity. That is generally where most avoidances seem to come from, rather than being ignorant of the CRA not being applicable. The questions were altered precisely because of situations like mine.

You could well be right and OP might get away with it, but I'd gamble in the other direction.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by shiversaint
The question as it stands (which would have been the same when he was asked) is reasonably clear though - it doesn't fall into the ignorance category for me:

Given the level of scrutiny that applications have been given over the last year, I can't see a ConOff determining that being oblivious of the Criminal Rehabilitation Act not being applicable in the US means he doesn't require a misrep waiver.

I dodged a misrep waiver because the questions were worded differently when I filled out mine, and you could reasonably respond no due to the ambiguity. That is generally where most avoidances seem to come from, rather than being ignorant of the CRA not being applicable. The questions were altered precisely because of situations like mine.

You could well be right and OP might get away with it, but I'd gamble in the other direction.
im thinking of cashing out, taking my chips and calling it a day..
Old Nov 30th 2018, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're best off applying for a B2 tourist visa and seeing what happens. Best case scenario, you get a waiver only for you CIMT and your potential employer is compassionate enough to not let it bother them and your original plan can go ahead.

Mid case is you get a waiver for misrep and the CIMT which would make a greencard quite difficult, but you can still do your holidays and live in the US short term on a non-immigrant working visa like an H1-B or E-2.

Worst case is you get banned for the misrep.

At the minute, you don't have much to lose by trying for the B-2, apart from money.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

My Thoughts exactly
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a whirl, what have you got to lose!!, at least you'll get a yes/no, keep the Cali dream alive!! I enjoyed my time there.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 1:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The issue is what are the prospective Employers going to do.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dj6372
Give it a whirl, what have you got to lose!!, at least you'll get a yes/no, keep the Cali dream alive!! I enjoyed my time there.
I will, main focus now for the time being is getting a b2 visa for travelling purposes...
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 7:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
I will, main focus now for the time being is getting a b2 visa for travelling purposes...
Why?

Rene
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

OP has family in CA he wishes to visit.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why?

Rene
im coming clean to my mishap on my esta, hopefully iron out that issue then move onto the next...
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 10:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
im coming clean to my mishap on my esta, hopefully iron out that issue then move onto the next...
Boiler answered. To visit family, it seems. I forgot you had family in the USA. I thought you'd want to first wait to see what happens with a work visa, and then if that fails, try for a B-2 to continue visiting in the future.

Rene