Advice Needed Desperately

Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:23 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Brithwmoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed Desperately

I'm a British Citizen
Been in the US since 1994
Came here legally and married my childhood sweet heart - we have a son together who is now 14
Received conditional GC in 1997
Removal of condition interview was in 1999
My husband and I were having problems at the time and he never showed up for the interview.
We are still married and plan on getting divorced (once I can afford it) - he offered no help to pay and I'm not financially set to be able to pay for by myself - been saving, almost there.
So, technically I am here, living and working in the US (on the books, paying taxes) but have lost or "abandoned my status.
My father lives in the caribbean
He is gravely ill
I can not travel
I won't be able to live with myself if my father doesn't make it and I can't attend the funeral
Why have I left it so long to do anything about it?
Out of fear - I did everything right to give myself and my son a better life
Not living in the best of neighborhoods in NYC but, we're getting by
I went to college, have a decent enough job and have always paid my taxes. Things are good enough but I'm living a lie and it's weighing down on me
I want to be able to live freely, like a legal alien
I feel so alone
Haven't told amyone out of fear that I will be deported
My son's 14 years old and I'm raising him by myself - I don't want to lose everything that I have worked for since I've been in the US.

Please, if there's anyone out there who could offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Brithwmoon is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:00 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bluegrass Lass's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: My Old KY Home!
Posts: 6,498
Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Check out your local Catholic Charities branch. They offer immigration advice/help at low or no cost. I wish I could help your further, but my layman's knowledge doesn't cover your situation.
Bluegrass Lass is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:58 am
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,617
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Ditto what Sunflower girl said. There are no- or low-cost charities that can help you. You really need the advice of an immigration lawyer on this one....and I'm afraid you still won't be able to travel anytime soon

When you say your husband didn't show up for the I-751 interview...did YOU show up for the interview? What did the officer tell you at that time?

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:36 pm
  #4  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 45,786
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Look up last week's column by Allan Wernick in the New York Daily News. He lists the numbers for you to call in New York City for pro bono / free immigration advice and legal assistance. NYC has a wealth of resources at free and/or scaled affordable cost to their immigrants.

Also look in the NYC phone book under NYC Government for their helpline. They will give you numbers to call.
Rete is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:46 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
lostlove's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 601
lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Look up last week's column by Allan Wernick in the New York Daily News. He lists the numbers for you to call in New York City for pro bono / free immigration advice and legal assistance. NYC has a wealth of resources at free and/or scaled affordable cost to their immigrants.

Also look in the NYC phone book under NYC Government for their helpline. They will give you numbers to call.
Rete:

I love to read Allan Wernick columns.

Bri:

Thats alot of burden to carry all over these years. Few things that come to my mind when I think of gratis.

One, contact the New York AILIA chapter for a list of pro-bono lawyers.

Two, Law schools are a good place for some aggressive young lawyers will to do free work, a place to get some leads.

Three, the catholic charities.

Four, the New York county bar association. ( dont know what county NY falls into LOL)

Five, the State Bar association.

Good Luck.
lostlove is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:52 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Brithwmoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Ditto what Sunflower girl said. There are no- or low-cost charities that can help you. You really need the advice of an immigration lawyer on this one....and I'm afraid you still won't be able to travel anytime soon

When you say your husband didn't show up for the I-751 interview...did YOU show up for the interview? What did the officer tell you at that time?

Rene
Thanks so much for you thgouhts/advice on this matter. I did attend the interview but my husband never showed up. The immigration officer asked me why he never came and I didn't have an answer for him. He told me that there is nothing he cam do without my husband being there with me.

I rescheduled another appoint ment to go in just to speak with an immigration officer about a year later... He too told me the same thing in addition to my case will be cancelled.
Brithwmoon is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:57 am
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,617
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Originally Posted by Brithwmoon View Post
Thanks so much for you thgouhts/advice on this matter. I did attend the interview but my husband never showed up. The immigration officer asked me why he never came and I didn't have an answer for him. He told me that there is nothing he cam do without my husband being there with me.

I rescheduled another appoint ment to go in just to speak with an immigration officer about a year later... He too told me the same thing in addition to my case will be cancelled.
I'm surprised you never received a notice that you are in removal proceedings.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:02 am
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,266
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
I'm surprised you never received a notice that you are in removal proceedings.

Rene
Why?
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:40 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
lostlove's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 601
lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
I'm surprised you never received a notice that you are in removal proceedings.

Rene
I would be surprised too, but after talking to many about removals, there is no perfect formula.

Removal proceedings are not default or automatic. They are given on a case by case basis mostly IMO depends on the local practice.

You could have no removal notice for a person who never attended the 751 interview, but at the same time there could be a nasty boilerplate for someone who got divorced within the 2 year period.
lostlove is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:16 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Brithwmoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Thanks for your help an advice. Nice to know that there are people out there who genuine and willing to give advice.

I've reached out to a few organizations. Have to do something sooner or later. The longer I leave it the worse it's going to get.

Another thing is that I am working on the books, does anyone know if the proceeding will cost me employment?


Originally Posted by lostlove View Post
I would be surprised too, but after talking to many about removals, there is no perfect formula.

Removal proceedings are not default or automatic. They are given on a case by case basis mostly IMO depends on the local practice.

You could have no removal notice for a person who never attended the 751 interview, but at the same time there could be a nasty boilerplate for someone who got divorced within the 2 year period.
Brithwmoon is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:15 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
lostlove's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 601
lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Desperately

Originally Posted by Brithwmoon View Post
Thanks for your help an advice. Nice to know that there are people out there who genuine and willing to give advice.

I've reached out to a few organizations. Have to do something sooner or later. The longer I leave it the worse it's going to get.

Another thing is that I am working on the books, does anyone know if the proceeding will cost me employment?
B:

You will have to make sure there is no removal on you. Call the master hearing hotline 1-800-898-7180 to find out.

You may have changed your address over the years, and I hope you have not missed correspondence regarding your immigration status. I suggest you update the immigration with your latest address if you havent, you need to know what has happened in your case, and dont want to miss future letters.

In cases like this it depends on local practice, the government may or may not have you in removal.

About proceedings and employment; I think one can work in removal proceedings. But in your case you need to exactly know what current rights you have.

Its in your best interest to get legal immigration assistance as soon as possible.

Last edited by lostlove; Nov 22nd 2009 at 7:17 am. Reason: typos...god I am so drunk.
lostlove is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.