Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on marrying my American boyfriend

Advice on marrying my American boyfriend

Old May 14th 2008, 1:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on marrying my American boyfriend

Originally Posted by Tracym
Thanks Rene - I should have clarified. I was NOT considering a K-3 an option (imo no reason for it) I was referring to the immigrant spousal visa for sure!
I know you were, I was just making that note to Blushbaby. In all her research, she might mistakenly get married in Cancun, go for the K-3, and then suddenly realize she has to have the interview THERE.

Rene
Old May 14th 2008, 1:44 pm
On Cloud 10....

Blushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to all

Ahhhhhhhh I'm with you now!!! Thanks for breaking it down Tracy and Norah! Getting married in Mexico is the last thing on my mind - I'll prob be too hungover anyway! LOL We're just going to Cancun for a holiday, that's all

My family's Nigerian and my Mum wants me to have the huge traditional ceremony and accompanying party. But yeah you're right that can be done after we've gotten married in the states, she'll just have to deal with it!

Each visa has its pros and cons doesn't it? If we were to apply for a Spousal Visa, at least I could still continue working here in the UK and be able to continue saving money as apposed to waiting on my ass to getting married on a Fiance Visa and then being forced to sit and wait being unable to work! But then I'd hate to be away from Mr Blush for an additional 8 months or more.

OMG Lisa, how did you cope being apart for 3 yrs ..I take my hat off to you. If that doesn't make you stronger as a couple, then nothing will!

You've all been SO helpful!! When I first posted this morning I was really confused but you've made things so much clearer for me.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blushbaby
I'd rather get married first and have the wedding the way we wanna have it, rather than do a rushed ceremony within those 90 days and then be apart for a few mths.
Just to clarify, if you go for a K-1 (fiance) visa, you have 6 months to use it, and then 90 days in which to get married... a total of 9 months to plan a wedding! Still, most folks are pretty eager to move immediately.

My Mum is hellbent on her only daughter having a huge white wedding with the whole family in attendence.
This might be problematic with a K-1 visa since you can't really plan anything until the visa is granted... or, at least, be absolutely certain that any deposit you make is fully refundable if plans change. We see many folks who are heartbroken because they planned the perfect wedding, all the invitations sent, places reserved, cakes made... everything... but then the non-USC person did not get the visa on time!

Do we HAVE to get married in either the U.S or UK - or can we get hitched elsewhere?
If you get a K-1 visa, you *must* marry in the US. Also, with the K-1, you do *not* want to honeymoon outside the US. If you go for a spouse visa, I think you can get married anywhere... but you must have a marriage certificate in hand (the official court-issued certificate) before you start the spouse visa paperwork.

Ian
Old May 14th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Also, with the K-1, you do *not* want to honeymoon outside the US.
Also known as the very expensive steak.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Also known as the very expensive steak.
Oh my... yes! I'd forgotten about that... maybe someone can drag up the link to the article!

Ian
Old May 14th 2008, 2:34 pm
On Cloud 10....

Blushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to all

"Expensive steak"? Huh?

I think he wants to go to Hawaii or some other random secluded island you can only get to via boat!
Old May 14th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/13099
Old May 14th 2008, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhhhh I'm with you now!!! Thanks for breaking it down Tracy and Norah! Getting married in Mexico is the last thing on my mind - I'll prob be too hungover anyway! LOL We're just going to Cancun for a holiday, that's all

My family's Nigerian and my Mum wants me to have the huge traditional ceremony and accompanying party. But yeah you're right that can be done after we've gotten married in the states, she'll just have to deal with it!

Each visa has its pros and cons doesn't it? If we were to apply for a Spousal Visa, at least I could still continue working here in the UK and be able to continue saving money as apposed to waiting on my ass to getting married on a Fiance Visa and then being forced to sit and wait being unable to work! But then I'd hate to be away from Mr Blush for an additional 8 months or more.

OMG Lisa, how did you cope being apart for 3 yrs ..I take my hat off to you. If that doesn't make you stronger as a couple, then nothing will!

You've all been SO helpful!! When I first posted this morning I was really confused but you've made things so much clearer for me.
You're welcome.

My fiance and I were apart four years before being married.

Just a clarification - there's no ADDITIONAL time apart. The time spent apart is very similar (maybe a month or two shorter for the fiance rout). The difference is are you apart before you're married, or after you're married.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

"Expensive steak"? Huh?
In a nutshell, a newly married couple were in Niagara Falls and crossed over to the Canadian side for a celebratory steak dinner. On their return, the non-USC spouse was stopped at the border and was refused entry to the US since she didn't have a proper visa.

I think he wants to go to Hawaii or some other random secluded island you can only get to via boat!
While Hawaii is certainly considered domestic travel, if you're on a K-1 visa there is a potential issue if the plane has problems and lands outside of US territory. Of course, if the plane doesn't actually "land"... well, you have a much bigger problem in that case!

Ian
Old May 14th 2008, 2:59 pm
On Cloud 10....

Originally Posted by Tracym
You're welcome.

My fiance and I were apart four years before being married.

Just a clarification - there's no ADDITIONAL time apart. The time spent apart is very similar (maybe a month or two shorter for the fiance rout). The difference is are you apart before you're married, or after you're married.

Ok, I gotcha! I've emailed him the link to this thread so it should all be crystal clear to him too!

ChicagoJlo - thanks for the link! Bloody hell, what a palava!!!