Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on marrying my American boyfriend

Advice on marrying my American boyfriend

Old May 7th 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

haircolourist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on marrying my American boyfriend

Hi All, im a 25 yr old female from the uk and i have been dating my american boyfriend for some time now, after many treks across the atlantic (one i may add ended this afternoon!) we have decided tht we cant be apart no more
this is something we have thought about for a while but we are now ready to go for it. Thing is we have heard so many different things, so i was looking for some help. Heres our situation...
we want to live and marry in the US but as i know this will be very difficult for me, we have looked into a K1 Visa but our only doubts are.. my bf is still studying, although works part time, we have heard tht even though I CAN support myself and have been working for the same company for 9 yrs tht if he CANNOT support me we will get rejected? we are willing to do what it takes to be together, is this the best way forward? we know this will take time, and we want to do this right, so please, any advice or firsthand experiences would be most greatly recieved thank you
Old May 7th 2008, 5:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on marrying my American boyfriend

Originally Posted by haircolourist
Hi All, im a 25 yr old female from the uk and i have been dating my american boyfriend for some time now, after many treks across the atlantic (one i may add ended this afternoon!) we have decided tht we cant be apart no more
this is something we have thought about for a while but we are now ready to go for it. Thing is we have heard so many different things, so i was looking for some help. Heres our situation...
we want to live and marry in the US but as i know this will be very difficult for me, we have looked into a K1 Visa but our only doubts are.. my bf is still studying, although works part time, we have heard tht even though I CAN support myself and have been working for the same company for 9 yrs tht if he CANNOT support me we will get rejected? we are willing to do what it takes to be together, is this the best way forward? we know this will take time, and we want to do this right, so please, any advice or firsthand experiences would be most greatly recieved thank you
First ..keep away from his hair ...

He can get a joint sponsor ..thats an easy problem
friends relatives etc
Old May 7th 2008, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

hehe i tried hard to get near his hair this visit.. he was having none!!! lol
yeah we heard tht someone else can sponsor, so how would we go about tht? say for example he asked his parents... they would just have to sign the form and send documents? thanks for ur response
Old May 7th 2008, 5:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

yeah we heard tht someone else can sponsor, so how would we go about tht? say for example he asked his parents... they would just have to sign the form and send documents? thanks for ur response
Have a read here ....

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
Old May 7th 2008, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Check the wiki section of this site for the K-1 process.

Very basically, for the K-1 part of the journey, you can self-sponsor if you show enough savings/assets. Or, your bf can use a joint sponsor for the I-134 form.

The tricky part will come after you get here, he will need to do another affidavit of support, the I-864. This one you can't self-sponsor, but if you are working by that time, then your income can be included along with his to try and meet the requirements. You can also use joint assets if you have enough. Or again, he can use a joint sponsor for the I-864.

I think there are plenty of ways to meet the affidavit of support issues, so I say get started on the I-129F towards the K-1 visa and go from there.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 5:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your USC bf would need to complete an I-134, even if it shows zero income. He also needs to provide tax returns, unless he was not required to file, in which case, he needs to just write a statement to that effect.

If using his parents as joint sponsors, his parent (either mom or dad, whoever qualifies), will fill out their own I-134, provide their own tax returns, and provide proof of their income (letter from employer and pay stubs).

Same goes for the I-864 when the time comes.

Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

thank you both so much, it seems such a complex process its good to have some advice.. but hey it'll all be worth it in the end thank you
Old May 7th 2008, 6:02 pm

thank you both so much, it seems such a complex process its good to have some advice.. but hey it'll all be worth it in the end thank you
It might seem overwhelming at first, but just take it one step at a time and it goes a lot faster than you think.

Break it down into sections:
File I-129F in USA
Fill out visa application forms and return checklist in UK
Go to interview in UK, arrive in USA
File adjustment of status in USA
Go to interview in USA
Receive 2-year conditional green card
2 years later, file to remove conditions, receive 10-year green card.
File for citizenship when eligible, if you want to.

Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Rene, you really have given me good hope, i spent 15 hrs on a plane home today from the USA crying my heart out cos i hate being apart from him and this all seemed so daunting, not knowinf where to start and the whole finance issues but you have really helped i just checked your website out, very happy for you you really have put a smile back on my face
Old May 7th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It might seem overwhelming at first, but just take it one step at a time and it goes a lot faster than you think.

Break it down into sections:
File I-129F in USA
Fill out visa application forms and return checklist in UK
Go to interview in UK, arrive in USA
File adjustment of status in USA
Go to interview in USA
Receive 2-year conditional green card
2 years later, file to remove conditions, receive 10-year green card.
File for citizenship when eligible, if you want to.

Rene
You forgot the most important bit - get married!
Old May 7th 2008, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

hehe tht goes without saying i guess!! i know we will be sorting it as soon as we get the green light will be happiest day of my life
Old May 7th 2008, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
You forgot the most important bit - get married!
Oh yeahhhhh...duhhhh....LOL

Insert *get married* in between "arrive in USA" and "file adjustment of status".

Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 7:26 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

hehe tht goes without saying i guess!! i know we will be sorting it as soon as we get the green light will be happiest day of my life
Yeah definitely get the visa in hand before you plan any of the wedding or travel though. I hope all goes as well as it did for me.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

yes i intend too thank you, so how did you find the whole process?
Old May 7th 2008, 7:31 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

yes i intend too thank you, so how did you find the whole process?
As long as you do it one stage at a time and read everything 10 times to make sure you don't miss gathering all the relevent info and paperwork, it's not quite as daunting as you may first think. You just have to be organised and have patience which it seems you do. If you follow Rene's advice and read the wiki on here and just ask questions on here you should do fine.

Believe me I wish I had found BE when I was doing all my visa stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.