Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on L1 visa attorney fees from London

Advice on L1 visa attorney fees from London

Old Sep 11th 2018, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

tubeoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on L1 visa attorney fees from London

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
You have been gainfully employed by the company in the UK for more than 1 continuous year, right? Does the company also intend to continue operating in the UK, despite you being oversees?

Just checking this isn't a case of someone employing a buddy of theirs to allow them to qualify for an L1, you will be expected to show tangible evidence of both of the above, amongst other things.
Yes one year. Yes company will still have operation in London and no it's not regular Joe situation
Could you pls define tangible evidence?
Old Sep 11th 2018, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tubeoflondon
Yes one year. Yes company will still have operation in London and no it's not regular Joe situation
The lawyer will prepare these things for you; but usually for someone opening a new business in the US on an L1 they need to be able to show they have leased premises in the US, have a business plan, a US bank account, this kinda thing.

The same may be asked for the UK business, what's the business plan to keep it going, payslips for your employment there.

There are a number of examples in this forum of people moving to the US on L1's to start new businesses (which must be owned by the UK business) etc, they usually cite needing these kinda examples.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 8:38 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tubeoflondon
If i recall correctly and this was 8 years ago now, it is slightly more complicated than that, that year is, 365 days outside the US so if you have had frequent trips here you need to exclude those days from the 1 year clock. I assume you have read the details on USCIS?

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...ive-or-manager
Old Sep 12th 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

My husband paid $9k in legal fees for his O-1 but but that was in 2010. There are no legal costs associated with the derivative visa. After he got his visa, I filled in my own DS-160 and went to the embassy to get my visa issued. Cant remember how much it was but maybe approx $200. $19k is excessive and the derivative cost is a rip off.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
The lawyer will prepare these things for you; but usually for someone opening a new business in the US on an L1 they need to be able to show they have leased premises in the US, have a business plan, a US bank account, this kinda thing.

The same may be asked for the UK business, what's the business plan to keep it going, payslips for your employment there.

There are a number of examples in this forum of people moving to the US on L1's to start new businesses (which must be owned by the UK business) etc, they usually cite needing these kinda examples.
Many thanks and all good regards to paperwork. solid
Old Sep 13th 2018, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht

If i recall correctly and this was 8 years ago now, it is slightly more complicated than that, that year is, 365 days outside the US so if you have had frequent trips here you need to exclude those days from the 1 year clock. I assume you have read the details on USCIS?

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...ive-or-manager
Many thanks and yes I have read all small prints.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Orangepants
My husband paid $9k in legal fees for his O-1 but but that was in 2010. There are no legal costs associated with the derivative visa. After he got his visa, I filled in my own DS-160 and went to the embassy to get my visa issued. Cant remember how much it was but maybe approx $200. $19k is excessive and the derivative cost is a rip off.
Many thanks for your response and I have taken action with one of the contributors from here, contacted Fargo man. let's see what they will say. will update you guys.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mall18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not the same visa for us, we are E2 but the amount of paperwork is probably similar and for ours including all Attorney fees, business plan, spouse and 2 child derivative filings it was $9,000. Our application was 205 pages in total just to give you an idea of the work involved. We have not been asked to pay re interview and to be honest that really stood out on your post. Your Attorney doesn't attend the interview so why a fee? Ours provides interview guidance as part of the overall fee.
We got them to do the DS-160's at the same time because it was simpler for us to do it that way and there was a $500 fee included in the total above.

I would carefully scrutinise any fees individually as our Attorney offered to apply for a EAD (permission to work) for me and wanted $750 to do that.
I downloaded the form from the USCIS website and it's 2 pages of simple questions and I can send it off myself as soon as we have a US address.
Some things they may be including may well be things you can do yourself and save money if you so wish.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mall18
Not the same visa for us, we are E2 but the amount of paperwork is probably similar and for ours including all Attorney fees, business plan, spouse and 2 child derivative filings it was $9,000. Our application was 205 pages in total just to give you an idea of the work involved. We have not been asked to pay re interview and to be honest that really stood out on your post. Your Attorney doesn't attend the interview so why a fee? Ours provides interview guidance as part of the overall fee.
We got them to do the DS-160's at the same time because it was simpler for us to do it that way and there was a $500 fee included in the total above.

I would carefully scrutinise any fees individually as our Attorney offered to apply for a EAD (permission to work) for me and wanted $750 to do that.
I downloaded the form from the USCIS website and it's 2 pages of simple questions and I can send it off myself as soon as we have a US address.
Some things they may be including may well be things you can do yourself and save money if you so wish.
Many thanks very useful info, appreciated.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 3:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Attorney fees can vary a lot. There used to be schedules in some states, but those were abolished as illegal many years ago.

About the only legal restrictiothesrn days is against exorbinat fees. And the standard hast to be shock the conscience. This is way in excess of high fees.

BTW, Fragomen is enjoys an excellent reputation and I personally know several of the partners who are people I would sometimes trade information - they were were both knowledgeable and knew when they wernowe knowledgeable.

(I once had a client who I believed to be ineligible for stateside adjustment due to a period of unauthorized employment in a prior time in the US. He married a client of Fragomen and they advised just the opposite iinconnection with possible following to join adjustment. Of course, client is confused. So, I call a Fragomen partner, [in a different office] to discuss the matter. She said she agreed with me but the senior partners disagreed so firm policy was to apply. She told me the reasoning the firm was using. I advised client, it was a matter of dispute. He went forward with the following to join and it was approved.)
​​​​​

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 14th 2018 at 3:57 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Attorney fees can vary a lot. There used to be schedules in some states, but those were abolished as illegal many years ago.

About the only legal restrictiothesrn days is against exorbinat fees. And the standard hast to be shock the conscience. This is way in excess of high fees.

BTW, Fragomen is enjoys an excellent reputation and I personally know several of the partners who are people I would sometimes trade information - they were were both knowledgeable and knew when they wernowe knowledgeable.

(I once had a client who I believed to be ineligible for stateside adjustment due to a period of unauthorized employment in a prior time in the US. He married a client of Fragomen and they advised just the opposite iinconnection with possible following to join adjustment. Of course, client is confused. So, I call a Fragomen partner, [in a different office] to discuss the matter. She said she agreed with me but the senior partners disagreed so firm policy was to apply. She told me the reasoning the firm was using. I advised client, it was a matter of dispute. He went forward with the following to join and it was approved.)
Many thanks for your contribution and appreciated very much.

​​​​​​​