Wikiposts

Advice on Boston

Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:32 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Boston

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He can only use the L1 visa if he transfers with his existing company. He won't be able to change jobs and transfer on a L1 for several years.
Depends... I applied for my Green Card after being here about 9 months (could have done it sooner) and it came through about 8 months after that. I was an L1-A though (think L1-Bs take longer...?)
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teaforme

I presume that rentals works pretty much the same as here , 6/12 mths contracts, just a question though if rental does not include untilities will it prove difficult for us to obtain with no existing credit in the US?
when you buy, the thing to look out for is property tax, which is huge in some areas.

As for rental, check to see what's included, it should include rubbish collection, but some places might not.

Utilities won't usually be included, and in winter you can easily be spending $350 a month on oil for a house/large apartment....as for other utilities, won't be hard getting them, but you'll probably have to put down a fair sized deposit on most things.

Oh, and one thing, rentals can be monthly or quarterly depending on where you move to, student towns etc, but most will require that you rent throughout the winter months....but one thing about mass, landlords can't evict anyone during the winters months
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest the ploughing never entered my thoughts lol , maybe because we havn't seen serious snow here in years! Someone has warned me that almost each family owns a 4x4 , or at least they do after their first winter!

One last question, we are not particularly religous , we just follow the breeze and although we will through ourselves in the deep end and be extra friendly ( not something us brits tend to do ) will being non religous be a problem?

Thanks
You don't need a 4x4, just don't drive like a tard, and if you want, get winter studs, there allowed in most New England states and well worth it.

Being non religious won't be a problem for the most part in this state, but it is a surprisingly conservative and religious state.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:27 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

One last question, we are not particularly religous , we just follow the breeze and although we will through ourselves in the deep end and be extra friendly ( not something us brits tend to do ) will being non religous be a problem?
The East Coast is one if not the least religous place in the US, IMO (certainly compared to Chicago, where I live now). I grew up in Massachusetts and I'd say the majority of people there are not actively religous. I never went to church growing up and never really thought anything of it. This, of course, varies by community (if you plant yourself in the middle of an Irish Catholic neighborhood in Quincy, it shouldn't be a shock that most people go to Mass). Even there, being non-religous shouldn't be a "problem".
Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:43 am
Just Joined

teaforme will become famous soon enough

Just a quick message to say thanks for everyone's replies!

Been most helpful and even did some reading up last night

cheers