Wikiposts

Advice on Boston

Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:09 am
Just Joined

teaforme will become famous soon enough
Default Advice on Boston

Hello there

Was just after a little advice , if anyone can offer any i would be most grateful!

My partner, myself and our 2 children are seriously considering relocating to Boston ( or surrounding area) within the next year to eighteen months. We are going to visit Boston in the british october school holidays and need advice on areas of Boston to get a feel from in terms of living there.

My partner has been to Boston before so as tourist we're ok but we'd really like to see the other side of it in with regards to the good and bad areas and the dont go there areas! Any advice would be appreciated as we are starting from scratch, also just a quick one, have noticed from threads from other sites and just wondered, are us brits accepted in smaller communities easily and what about the little ones too?

Anyway sos for the ramble , from Yorkshire so enjoy a good natter even if it is to myself

Cheers

Rachel
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Boston

Welcome

How are you going to move to Boston ? .... Do you havd US conections ? Does either of you have a job offer and work permits etc ? Or are either of you US citizens ?

That would be the first thing to look at
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Patrick for replying!

Well at the moment we are starting from scratch and looking at all options , we have are selling our house in the Uk at the moment and will rent here till then on. At the moment my partner is working in I.T and is to hand in his notice after christmas so until then on the job front he wont be looking although his company does have offices in Boston so there is always a transfer opportunity , as for the other we dont have any contacts in the US!

We are coming out in october to get a feel for Boston as a family and thats why i was asking for advice on good and bad areas to live so we could have a look at the communities out there.

Thanks for the advice on the visa front , we are starting now to go through all our options and researching everything

sos babbled on again lol

Cheers
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teaforme
Thanks Patrick for replying!

Well at the moment we are starting from scratch and looking at all options , we have are selling our house in the Uk at the moment and will rent here till then on. At the moment my partner is working in I.T and is to hand in his notice after christmas so until then on the job front he wont be looking although his company does have offices in Boston so there is always a transfer opportunity , as for the other we dont have any contacts in the US!

We are coming out in october to get a feel for Boston as a family and thats why i was asking for advice on good and bad areas to live so we could have a look at the communities out there.

Thanks for the advice on the visa front , we are starting now to go through all our options and researching everything

sos babbled on again lol

Cheers
Welcome to BE.

Unfortunately unless your husband can get a transfer through his company you have little chance of coming to the US to live and work. So tell him not to hand in his notice and pursue the transfer route.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 12th 2007 at 12:06 am.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jersey girl

Well we'll look at all alternatives , at the moment he is a Director in I.T and has been with the company for over 10 years so looking at the visa stuff he may be able to go accross based on the I.T side of things , we're pretty chilled about the whole thing to be honest , what will be will be!

Still going to Boston in october though so if anyone does have suggestions of areas to look at regarding living there it would be very helpful

Ta

Rachel
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jersey girl

Well we'll look at all alternatives , at the moment he is a Director in I.T and has been with the company for over 10 years so looking at the visa stuff he may be able to go accross based on the I.T side of things , we're pretty chilled about the whole thing to be honest , what will be will be!

Still going to Boston in october though so if anyone does have suggestions of areas to look at regarding living there it would be very helpful

Ta

Rachel
Your husband may be able to transfer on a L1 visa...we came over that way. If that was the case you would be able to get it through within a few months, you would be able to work in the US and you're fast tracked for the Green Card. It's one of the better visas.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:25 am
Just Joined

thanks again , all info very helpful

Yes that was the one i read about , new to all of this so bear with me lol
How long do you have to be in US before you can apply for a green card or do you apply striaght away?

also just a quick question , how did you settle over there , were there any major problems that you didnt foresee?

Cheers again

Rachel
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

For the original poster:

Question 1. Are you and your "partner" married?

Question 2. Has he asked his employer about a transfer to the USA?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks again , all info very helpful

Yes that was the one i read about , new to all of this so bear with me lol
How long do you have to be in US before you can apply for a green card or do you apply striaght away?

also just a quick question , how did you settle over there , were there any major problems that you didnt foresee?

Cheers again

Rachel
If using a L1 I think you can apply after 12 mths...not sure though.

For me and many on BE yes major homesickness problems. There is a huge culture shock...which many doen't envisage because we are all so familiar with American TV, holidays etc.

Apart from missing friends and family I missed my life...the life that I took for granted for so many years.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:42 am
Just Joined

No were not married , would that be a problem?

Jerseygirl never thought of it like that , i take it from that then its quite hard to make friends / integrate into commmunities then? We have 2 young children so i suppose my main concern is whether they would be accepted and make friends.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:47 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Jerseygirl never thought of it like that , i take it from that then its quite hard to make friends / integrate into commmunities then? We have 2 young children so i suppose my main concern is whether they would be accepted and make friends.
Cart before horse comes to mind...

(1) get married
(2) sort out visa
(3) think about 'integrating' and all the rest of it
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Huge problem...he can go if he gets a visa...you can't.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Okie dokie , not a huge problem then really lol

You dont have to be married for a set period of time then , just married?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:54 am
Just Joined

well after 9 years and 2 children i think i'm due it anyway
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

If your husband is high up in a company and get transferred, that would be best, but if not, perhaps try getting sponsored on an H1, you wouldn't be allowed to work on the H4 spouse visa though.

For IT, just west of Boston, there's Siemens, Sap, Oracle, Monster and a whole bunch of other places within minutes of I-95 around the Dedham area, wouldnt' want to live there, but it's a good commute from the metro west area, which is generally a lot more affordable and about 10-15 miles from Boston....just a bonus to find a place on the T for easy public transport, and the last stop out west is Riverside in Newton.

Edit- oh, and check the wiki, there's a fair bit of info for the state of mass-ass-a-two-shits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.