advanced parole - jamaica

Old Aug 17th 2002, 12:04 am
K

Default advanced parole - jamaica

i am probably being paranoid about the upcoming trip my husband (he is a former
K1/fiance visa holder now pending AOS) and i (US citizen) are taking to jamaica
soon BUT...

has anyone had any experience using advanced parole in jamaica. my concern is not
about my husband being allowed back into the US with his advanced parole papers - but
about him being allowed to actually leave the island. jamaica is one of those
countries that does an immigration check before you leave to head to the US. is
advanced parole something that the immigration officers there are likely to be
familiar with? if my husband has problems what's the best thing for us to do -
contact the US embassy? any advice is appreciated.

thanks.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 1:27 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: advanced parole - jamaica

I would hope they would be familiar with the document. If there are problems, the
airline or passport control people should contact the consular people to verify that
it is valid for entry. They may be located at the embassy, but they work for the
Consul General, not the Ambassador.

k wrote:
    > i am probably being paranoid about the upcoming trip my husband (he is a former
    > K1/fiance visa holder now pending AOS) and i (US citizen) are taking to jamaica
    > soon BUT...
    > has anyone had any experience using advanced parole in jamaica. my concern is not
    > about my husband being allowed back into the US with his advanced parole papers -
    > but about him being allowed to actually leave the island. jamaica is one of those
    > countries that does an immigration check before you leave to head to the US. is
    > advanced parole something that the immigration officers there are likely to be
    > familiar with? if my husband has problems what's the best thing for us to do -
    > contact the US embassy? any advice is appreciated.
    > thanks.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: advanced parole - jamaica

I was in Jamaica recently, and they didn't do anything special about immigration checks on leaving. The airline's check-in agent checked our passports, but I wasn't asked for my Green Card, by him, or the official at security. There were no INS officials in Montego Bay airport.

The only issue about leaving the island is that there is an exit tax of US27, payable in cash, if you are going by air. If you are on a cruise, you won't do any immigration stuff, either entering or leaving, unless things have changed recently.

Enjoy yourselves - it's a fantastic place.

Originally posted by K:

has anyone had any experience using advanced parole in jamaica. my concern is not
about my husband being allowed back into the US with his advanced parole papers - but
about him being allowed to actually leave the island. jamaica is one of those
countries that does an immigration check before you leave to head to the US. is
advanced parole something that the immigration officers there are likely to be
familiar with? if my husband has problems what's the best thing for us to do -
contact the US embassy? any advice is appreciated.