Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advance Parole in Tampa - and a question

Advance Parole in Tampa - and a question

Old Mar 31st 2001, 1:25 am
\John\

We returned to the Tampa INS office yesterday and received the Advance Parole
documents for "Rose" and "Angel" (our K-2 daughter). We filed for AP together with
our AOS application on March 16th. The documents were stamped "multiple entries" and
dated March 21st with an expiration date of March 20, 2002. The cover letter said
"Enclosed you will find the original and two copies of Form I-512...", but the
contents of the package contained the following: one Form I-512 labled "to alien"
(with ADIT photo attached) one Form I-831 Continuation Page (continuation page for
Form I-512) one Form I-512 labled "to transportation line" (no ADIT photo)

My question is, how do we use this for multiple entries? Seems to me that I'm missing
something.

Thanks, "John"

Old Apr 1st 2001, 12:05 pm
Rete

No you are not missing a thing.

At the time of use, when re-entering the US, the Customs/INS people will take the
A/P, attach 1 or 2 I-94's to it (and sometimes one in your passport as well) with the
date of re-entry and indicating that you have been paroled into the US
"indefinitely". Some POE's will keep one form (the one without the photo) and some
will not because they will make you wait while the enter the information into their
"official" computers. In either case, you will be given back the A/P with the I-94's
on it and this is what you will use in the future when you travel. If your AOS takes
longer than a year, then when you have to renew the EAD and get a new A/P you will
use the information on the new I-94's for completion of the new I-765 and I-131.

Rita

Old Apr 1st 2001, 12:28 pm
Betastar

, you're OK - but I still wonder about this Paroled Until March 21, 2002 thing.

Betastar

Old Apr 1st 2001, 1:31 pm
Rete

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
Yeah that is a little strange. Both A/P's for Jim were marked "indef" but you know
INS personnel; nothing consistent about them.

As for the numbers of papers, NYC only gives two sheets, not three, and Jim walked
away with both sheets intact when he activated each A/P. But then have seen reports
were some POE's actually take and keep one sheet. Go figure!

Rita

Old Apr 2nd 2001, 1:12 am
\John\

Thanks Rete and Betastar for responding. I think I was confused because the first
page of the I-512 has a single square marked "arrival stamp" and thought it was only
good for one use (not to mention the "original and two copies" statement in the cover
letter). As far as the March 2002 date goes (and I'm only guessing here), I suppose
that is because the Tampa INS office is taking between 18 and 24 months to process
AOS? Thanks again to both of you. Regards, "John"

Old Apr 4th 2001, 8:43 am
Pete Burgess

Advanced Parole is supposed to last a period of time in which it is sufficient to
gain conditional resident status. That way it saves paying for AP more than once.

I'm guessing that Tampa is disregarding that rule and issuing for a year regardless.
They issued mine for a year. That was 5 months ago, and I sure as hell don't expect
to get adjustment of status before it runs out.

Welcome to one of the slowest INS offices in the country...

Pete

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 4th 2001, 10:04 am
Grinch

"Pete Burgess" <[email protected]> obviously after having taken some mood
altering diet pills wrote

>
sufficient
    >
than
    >

Since when?

Grinch

Old Apr 4th 2001, 2:03 pm
Rete

Unfortunately, you either heard wrong or are wrong in your assumption. The
A/P, like the EAD, is at most only good for one year. I have never seen it valid for
a period longer than one year. INS doesn't give a tinker's damn how often you have
to renew them, how much it costs you in the long run, or how often you are
inconvenienced by having to take time off from work to go there and pick them up or
apply for them. Just be thankful that you got a one year, multiple entry A/P. Many
people don't.

Rita

>
sufficient
    >
than
    >
    >
    >
    >
as
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
(not
    >
    >
suppose
    >
to
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 5th 2001, 1:18 am
Jonathan_ATC

Sorry, but no. The AP is only good for 12 months maximum. Usually it is only good for
10-11 months since they go by the date they receive your application for many people.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
thing
    >
remember
    >
INS
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >"Pete Burgess" <[email protected]> obviously after having taken[/usenetquote2]
some
[usenetquote2]> >mood altering diet pills wrote[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Advanced Parole is supposed to last a period of time in which it is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >sufficient[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> to gain conditional resident status. That way it saves paying for AP[/usenetquote2]
more
[usenetquote2]> >than[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> once.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Since when?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Grinch[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 5th 2001, 12:31 pm
Rete

Believe you might be referring to the directive that local INS should allow
A/P for anything other than just emergency use since the AOS interview timelines are
taking so long.

Rita