Advance parole question

Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:58 am
Just Joined

rk164 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advance parole question

My wife and I are on L1/L2 visas living in the US.

I have the L2 and EAD and am currently working. My wife's employer will be processing our GC applications. From what I have read, I believe that I would need to obtain Advance Parole in order to leave the country and be able to return. Is this correct?

I am not clear on how to use the Advance Parole when travelling, is it simply a document that needs to be presented?

Thanks in advance

rk164
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance parole question

Originally Posted by rk164
As long as the L1/L2 visa is valid, you can leave and re-enter the US as much as you want. No need for Advance Parole.

Ian
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As long as the L1/L2 visa is valid, you can leave and re-enter the US as much as you want. No need for Advance Parole.

Ian
I'm sure this is correct as far as the L1 is concerned - but are you sure about the L2?

I thought if an EAD is involved and has been activated, AP is required.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:18 am
Joe Feise

Elvira wrote on 03/18/07 19:28:

>> As long as the L1/L2 visa is valid, you can leave and re-enter the US
>> as much as you want. No need for Advance Parole.
>>
>> Ian
>
> I'm sure this is correct as far as the L1 is concerned - but are you
> sure about the L2?
>
> I thought if an EAD is involved and has been activated, AP is required.

No. AP is needed to avoid abandoning a pending I-485. It has nothing to do with
an EAD.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm sure this is correct as far as the L1 is concerned - but are you sure about the L2?

I thought if an EAD is involved and has been activated, AP is required.
My understanding is that if an EAD has been used, thereby *invalidating the L-1 visa* (and the dependent L-2), then AP must be used.

If you are here on L-2 you need an EAD to work, correct? So let's say you are here on plain old L-2, no AOS in play, and you are working on EAD. You would not need AP to travel despite the fact you have an EAD, because your L-2 is still valid.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 6:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcj1440
My understanding is that if an EAD has been used, thereby *invalidating the L-1 visa* (and the dependent L-2), then AP must be used.

If you are here on L-2 you need an EAD to work, correct? So let's say you are here on plain old L-2, no AOS in play, and you are working on EAD. You would not need AP to travel despite the fact you have an EAD, because your L-2 is still valid.
Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant if an I-485 has been filed...
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

You were clear Elvira. I was just illustrating (poorly) that an L-2 would not need AP in a non-AOS circumstance despite using EAD, and therefore, it stood to reason that an L-2 would also not need AP in an AOS circumstance, despite use of EAD, as long as the L visas are still valid.

I guess I was trying to say that use of EAD by the L-2 holder does not invalidate the L-2 visa, therefore no AP required. Use of EAD by the L-1 holder *would* invalidate both L visas, therefore AP would be required in that case.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

razzy77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rk164

I have the L2 and EAD and am currently working. My wife's employer will be processing our GC applications. From what I have read, I believe that I would need to obtain Advance Parole in order to leave the country and be able to return. Is this correct?

I am not clear on how to use the Advance Parole when travelling, is it simply a document that needs to be presented?

Thanks in advance

rk164
It is travel document that you present in order to board airplane to USA and also show to Homeland Security at US airport. My wife n I have that doc and have used it twice already. Works fine!