Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:28 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
uksharkguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Hi all,

Bob has been extremely helpful in trying to answer this question, but I would like to know the views of as many of you out there as possible.

I am currently in the US having been admitted under the visa waiver program ( I am a UK citizen). My 90 days will be up at the beginning of December, but before that I plan to go on a two week holiday to Costa Rica.

Will I be OK when I come back to the US, and will another vwp be issued for another 90 days on return?

any advice is as always very helpful!
uksharkguy is offline  
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:04 am
  #2  
Meryl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Will you have a return airticket out of the US?
Meryl

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:28:14 +0000, uksharkguy
<member30168@british_expats.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >Bob has been extremely helpful in trying to answer this question, but I
    >would like to know the views of as many of you out there as possible.
    >I am currently in the US having been admitted under the visa waiver
    >program ( I am a UK citizen). My 90 days will be up at the beginning
    >of December, but before that I plan to go on a two week holiday to
    >Costa Rica.
    >Will I be OK when I come back to the US, and will another vwp be issued
    >for another 90 days on return?
    >any advice is as always very helpful!
 
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:44 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
eggysbrain's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: my house
Posts: 275
eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

noone can really tell you for sure if you will be re admitted at the POE when you return. That is up to the officer who inspects you.

Last edited by eggysbrain; Oct 7th 2004 at 10:47 am.
eggysbrain is offline  
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:07 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
uksharkguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Originally Posted by eggysbrain
noone can really tell you for sure if you will be re admitted at the POE when you return. That is up to the officer who inspects you.
Yes you are right, I guess. But surely if I have evidence of funds to support me during my stay and a flight ticket to say that I will leave the US before the 90 days are up, why would they deny me entry?
uksharkguy is offline  
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:04 pm
  #5  
Bishop John MightBe
 
MightBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Spreading the word
Posts: 1,778
MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Originally Posted by uksharkguy
Yes you are right, I guess. But surely if I have evidence of funds to support me during my stay and a flight ticket to say that I will leave the US before the 90 days are up, why would they deny me entry?
Read the rules yourself. http://travel.state.gov/visa/tempvis...sa_waiver.html

You should already have had a flight to leave within your first 90 days.
MightBe is offline  
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:30 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 2
scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

because it is a Visitors Visa and it will look like you are abusing it. Up to you to show no Immigration Intent and you can not live in US on VWP's.

You may be OK, you may not, nobody can tell you in advance.
scrubbedexpat099 is offline  
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:42 pm
  #7  
Meryl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:07:34 +0000, uksharkguy
<member30168@british_expats.com> wrote:

    >> noone can really tell you for sure if you will be re admitted at the
    >> POE when you return. That is up to the officer who inspects you.
    >Yes you are right, I guess. But surely if I have evidence of funds to
    >support me during my stay and a flight ticket to say that I will leave
    >the US before the 90 days are up, why would they deny me entry?

Having a ticket out helps.
Meryl
 
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:00 am
  #8  
crg
American Expat
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,598
crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Originally Posted by uksharkguy
Yes you are right, I guess. But surely if I have evidence of funds to support me during my stay and a flight ticket to say that I will leave the US before the 90 days are up, why would they deny me entry?
People usually take a vacation from their home. So if you're departing the US for a 2 week vacation that seems fishy. What are you taking a vacation from? You've already been on vacation for almost three months.

Do you plan on using another entire 90 day period once you return from Costa Rica?

What are you doing in the US all this time?

How do they know you won't do it again in another 90 days?

Have you been working?

It's legal to apply for admission under the situation you describe. You may have some tough questions, or you may not. When you take long visits to the US with only short time periods outside the US you will eventually have a problem. Be prepared to show a lot of evidence that you have a life outside the US that you have not abandoned.
crg is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 4:40 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
uksharkguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Originally Posted by crg14624
People usually take a vacation from their home. So if you're departing the US for a 2 week vacation that seems fishy. What are you taking a vacation from? You've already been on vacation for almost three months.

Do you plan on using another entire 90 day period once you return from Costa Rica?

What are you doing in the US all this time?

How do they know you won't do it again in another 90 days?

Have you been working?

It's legal to apply for admission under the situation you describe. You may have some tough questions, or you may not. When you take long visits to the US with only short time periods outside the US you will eventually have a problem. Be prepared to show a lot of evidence that you have a life outside the US that you have not abandoned.
thanks for all that information!

just one final question on the machine readable passports.

If I were to spend those two weeks in Costa Rica, and then return early December would I need a machine readable passport to enter (I have one fo the normal non-biometric passports from the UK which expires 2009).???
uksharkguy is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:48 am
  #10  
crg
American Expat
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,598
crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: admittance under Visa Waiver Program to US

Originally Posted by uksharkguy
thanks for all that information!

just one final question on the machine readable passports.

If I were to spend those two weeks in Costa Rica, and then return early December would I need a machine readable passport to enter (I have one fo the normal non-biometric passports from the UK which expires 2009).???
I think malaysia is the only country with a biometric chip in it so far, and they've had that for years. You just need a machine readable passport at this point

Your passport needs the <<<<<<<<<<< chevrons along the bottom of the biographical page starting in late October to meet the requirement.
crg is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.