Adjusting from a L 1 Visa

Old Jan 6th 2021, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjusting from a L 1 Visa

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
my lawyer said, they don't file concurrently for the main reason that if the I-140 is denied, the applicant doesn't then lose filing fees for the I-485. I got told that no matter how strong the I-140 is - USCIS has become much more unpredictable. He also said it would only affect processing time by a couple of months. Its very difficult to know what to do but I just have to have faith in my lawyer....
In that case it may actually serve your interest to travel right now before the I-485 (and quite possibly the I-131/765 alongside it) is filed.

The I-140 does not have Premium Processing yet in the EB1C category (although USCIS have been instructed in Q4 ‘20 to make this available), and so you are looking at 6-12 months before the I-140 is adjudicated.

Please make sure that your L1/L2 remain valid before your intended return to the US, and please factor in the potential Mexico 2-weeks layover. That said President-Elect Biden is widely expected to revoke the Europe/UK blanket travel ban, which would mean you could fly straight back from the UK to the US with a negative Covid-19 test.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
In that case it may actually serve your interest to travel right now before the I-485 (and quite possibly the I-131/765 alongside it) is filed.

The I-140 does not have Premium Processing yet in the EB1C category (although USCIS have been instructed in Q4 ‘20 to make this available), and so you are looking at 6-12 months before the I-140 is adjudicated.

Please make sure that your L1/L2 remain valid before your intended return to the US, and please factor in the potential Mexico 2-weeks layover. That said President-Elect Biden is widely expected to revoke the Europe/UK blanket travel ban, which would mean you could fly straight back from the UK to the US with a negative Covid-19 test.
thankyou, appreciate the advice...
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Please note that if you filed for I-131 (and I-765), you must not leave the US until the cards have been issued or else the I-131 application will be withdrawn.
Apologies to resurrect an old thread - but is there consensus that this is correct?
If you remain in status e.g. on L1, why would the I-131 or I-765 be withdrawn?
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 6:31 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porkedpie
Apologies to resurrect an old thread - but is there consensus that this is correct?
If you remain in status e.g. on L1, why would the I-131 or I-765 be withdrawn?
I was an L1 and was waiting for AOS via EB1c

I traveled the whole time… including before I had my AP and EAD in hand (separate back then)… nothing was withdrawn… I received both a few months before AOS to LPR… I believe that advise is wrong / related to a different path to LPR unless some rules changes since 2010.

Note I was advised never to use the EAD or AP as long as my L1 was valid. I never used them.
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, that makes sense.
While I was able to find an official source (pp18) confirming that the AOS was not abandoned if traveling under (still valid) L visa, I couldn't see anything regarding withdrawal of EAD/AP applications. It wouldn't make a lot of sense, but then again, nor does a lot about the system.

EDIT:
Looking again I see for I-131 "Departure from the United States before a decision is made on the application usually does not affect the application decision. However, if biometrics collection is required and the applicant departs the United States before biometrics are collected, the application may be denied"

Last edited by porkedpie; Feb 2nd 2023 at 6:53 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 7:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porkedpie
Thank you, that makes sense.
While I was able to find an official source (pp18) confirming that the AOS was not abandoned if traveling under (still valid) L visa, I couldn't see anything regarding withdrawal of EAD/AP applications. It wouldn't make a lot of sense, but then again, nor does a lot about the system.

EDIT:
Looking again I see for I-131 "Departure from the United States before a decision is made on the application usually does not affect the application decision. However, if biometrics collection is required and the applicant departs the United States before biometrics are collected, the application may be denied"
that may be more to do with missing biometrics. I did a walk-in once I had the appointment letter so the timing fit me.
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

There was a period of time when Trump was in power where USCIS was denying pending EAD/AP applications if the applicant left - probably just to make things as awkward as possible for people I guess. I think some law firm sued and they were forced to reverse it.

https://www.murthy.com/2017/08/10/us...erseas-travel/

https://www.murthy.com/2019/03/11/us...ap-is-pending/