British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Address Change Notification? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/address-change-notification-535020/)

gooner81 May 7th 2008 9:03 pm

Address Change Notification?

I have a ten year permanent resident green card and I am about to move. Do I need to inform USCIS, this is the first time I have moved since I got the ten year card. I know when I had a case processing I had to inform them, now I have received the card do I still need to?

Thanks for any help.

chicagojlo May 7th 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Address Change Notification?

Yep every time you move until you are no longer any of USCIS's business - ie when you are no longer an immigrant...

Noorah101 May 7th 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by gooner81 (Post 6320557)
I have a ten year permanent resident green card and I am about to move. Do I need to inform USCIS, this is the first time I have moved since I got the ten year card. I know when I had a case processing I had to inform them, now I have received the card do I still need to?

Thanks for any help.

Yes. You will need to notify them any time you move, until you become a USC.

Also, if your green card was obtained through marriage to a USC, the USC also needs to file form I-865 if they move.

Rene

md95065 May 7th 2008 9:17 pm

Yes.

See www.uscis.gov/addresschange for details.

Noorah101 May 7th 2008 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 6320617)
Yes.

See www.uscis.gov/addresschange for details.

Form AR-11: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

gooner81 May 7th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6320612)
Yes. You will need to notify them any time you move, until you become a USC.

Also, if your green card was obtained through marriage to a USC, the USC also needs to file form I-865 if they move.

Rene

We are now seperated and I am about to file the divorce (should be filed in the next couple of weeks), does this mean I just need to file the AR-11 and does my wife (soon to be ex) still need to file anything? Do I need to file any other form now I am seperated and when my divorce is finalized?

Thanks

Noorah101 May 7th 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by gooner81 (Post 6320631)
We are now seperated and I am about to file the divorce (should be filed in the next couple of weeks), does this mean I just need to file the AR-11 and does my wife (soon to be ex) still need to file anything? Do I need to file any other form now I am seperated and when my divorce is finalized?

Thanks

Every time you move, you need to file AR-11, until you are a USC.

I still don't know for sure if your GC was obtained through marriage to a USC. Was it?

Rene

Noorah101 May 7th 2008 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by gooner81 (Post 6320631)
Do I need to file any other form now I am seperated and when my divorce is finalized?

Thanks

No, as long as you have the 10-year green card, you don't need to file anything else.

Rene

gooner81 May 7th 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6320657)
Every time you move, you need to file AR-11, until you are a USC.

I still don't know for sure if your GC was obtained through marriage to a USC. Was it?

Rene

Yes it was obtained through marraige to a USC I do have the ten year card. I will file the form online as I believe you can.

Thanks for all your help.

Noorah101 May 7th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by gooner81 (Post 6320669)
Yes it was obtained through marraige to a USC I do have the ten year card. I will file the form online as I believe you can.

Thanks for all your help.

In that case, then yes. Your wife (ex-wife) is supposed to file I-865 whenever she moves, until one of the following occurs:

1. You become a USC
2. You have 40 quarters of tax credits (about 10 years of working full time)
3. You leave the USA permanently
4. You die
5. She dies

Divorce does not release her from the I-864 obligations, one of which is to notify USCIS of her change of address whenever she moves, by filing form I-865.

Rene

fatbrit May 7th 2008 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6320682)
In that case, then yes. Your wife (ex-wife) is supposed to file I-865 whenever she moves, until one of the following occurs

Any person subject to the requirement of paragraph (1) who fails to satisfy such requirement shall, after notice and opportunity to be heard, be subject to a civil penalty of -
(A) not less than $250 or more than $2,000, or
(B) if such failure occurs with knowledge that the sponsored alien has received any means-tested public benefits (other than benefits described in section 1611(b), 1613(c)(2), or 1621(b) of this title) not less than $2,000 or more than $5,000.
The Attorney General shall enforce this paragraph under appropriate regulations.

Wonder if they've ever fined anybody?