Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ACROs required for L1 and L2 interview

ACROs required for L1 and L2 interview

Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACROs required for L1 and L2 interview

Hi all,

I'll be scheduling my appointment at the embassy in the coming weeks (individual petition has been approved and DS-160 will be submitted this week or next) but I'm struggling to clarify on my own whether an ACRO is required for L1 or L2 appointments.

In their guidance it states:
If you have ever been arrested, cautioned, convicted you are required to declare it, even if it is considered spent and furnish a police certificate known as an ACRO
I could read that two ways; 1) you must furnish an ACRO IF you have ever been arrested etc, or 2) you are required to declare any citations AND furnish an ACRO.

I've also read conflicting comments that an ACRO must be provided for any country you've ever lived for 6+ months. I lived in Australia for a couple of years and my wife is French so if that is true we'd need to get ACROs from there and also get the French one translated?

Anyone with recent experience able to provide guidance? Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACROs required for L1 and L2 interview

If you have criminal histories then yes.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you have criminal histories then yes.
Neither of us have any criminal history. So with that, I assume we do NOT require any ACROs?
Old Apr 24th 2019, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute

You WILL need to show your acro, acro is a police report. Yours will come as saying ‘no trace’. It’ll prove you have no criminal histories ,you won’t need a subject access report as that is what you need if you do have a criminal history and it details what the criminal activity was. So yes you need. We applied for one for my husband myself and my daughter who is 17. You do need to show your acro police report otherwise they will have no way of knowing whether you do or don’t have a criminal record? Hope that helps. You need to get police reports from every country you have stayed in. It’s a pain in the arse but it’s got to be done . There should be an option to Fastrak delivery for these there is for the British one

Last edited by kate8kate0; Apr 24th 2019 at 4:02 am. Reason: Adding info
Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate8kate0

You WILL need to show your acro, acro is a police report. Yours will come as saying ‘no trace’. It’ll prove you have no criminal histories ,you won’t need a subject access report as that is what you need if you do have a criminal history and it details what the criminal activity was. So yes you need. We applied for one for my husband myself and my daughter who is 17. You do need to show your acro police report otherwise they will have no way of knowing whether you do or don’t have a criminal record? Hope that helps. You need to get police reports from every country you have stayed in. It’s a pain in the arse but it’s got to be done . There should be an option to Fastrak delivery for these there is for the British one
I don't believe this to be true for L1 visas or any other non-immigrant visas UNLESS you have a criminal history. I for one definitely did NOT supply an ACRO when I moved on an L1 in 2015 and I know countless others who haven't either. Can you clarify what visa you arrived on?
Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
I don't believe this to be true for L1 visas or any other non-immigrant visas UNLESS you have a criminal history. I for one definitely did NOT supply an ACRO when I moved on an L1 in 2015 and I know countless others who haven't either. Can you clarify what visa you arrived on?
I will be coming in on an EB3 visa.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Just be careful is all I would say. NVC require the police cert.

read post 14 on this thread and 15!

L1A visa - ACRO Certificate

Last edited by kate8kate0; Apr 24th 2019 at 6:01 am.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

I will be coming in on an EB3 visa.
EB3 is an immigrant visa, therefore upon entry you are deemed a permanent resident, L1 is a non-immigrant visa. They are governed by different rules, immigrant visas require medical and background checks, non-immigrant visas traditionally do not. Please research this before incorrectly advising folks.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh I see! Sorry my bad, I remembered L1 as an immigrant visa but it LEADS to immigrant visa, okay you WILL need them at that stage if ur going for it

i just hate immigration, sometimes what they say is not always what they mean, like in Canada, CIC ‘ticked off everything on the document checklist?’ ,me: ‘yes!’ Cic: well where’s such n such form??’ Me: It wasn’t on the F******g document checklist!??

Last edited by kate8kate0; Apr 24th 2019 at 6:55 am.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe ‘wary’ is a better word, not hate.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:25 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see! Sorry my bad, I remembered L1 as an immigrant visa but it LEADS to immigrant visa, okay you WILL need them at that stage if ur going for it

i just hate immigration, sometimes what they say is not always what they mean, like in Canada, CIC ‘ticked off everything on the document checklist?’ ,me: ‘yes!’ Cic: well where’s such n such form??’ Me: It wasn’t on the F******g document checklist!??
An L1 does not lead to an immigrant visa. But people who’s employers get an L1a for often meet the criteria for the employer to file for a IV/GC as well (they are similar criteria) but both are independent and an employer could file straight for a IV/GC with no L1a visa first. Also if you are on an L1a in the US it would be more likely that they would file an I-485 to adjust status rather than get you IV.

I went through both an L1a and EB1c, and never had to provide any police certificate or similar, so unless something changed since 2010-2011 I think that is only a requirement for people who have been arrested / convicted etc, not everyone.

Last edited by tht; Apr 24th 2019 at 7:33 am.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Years of working in Canadian immigration and I've never found a form that wasn't on the checklist. Are you sure you used the country specific checklist as well as the main one?
Old Apr 24th 2019, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Update: once I submitted DS-160 and created an account for the appointment, I got the following confirmation that ACRO is only required if you have something to report:

Note: Applicants who have been arrested, cautioned or convicted are required to bring an ACRO Police Certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office to their interview. Please take the time to review the information at https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/ineli...-and-waivers-2 If you do not bring the ACRO and VCU 1, you will experience considerable delays in the processing of your application
Old Apr 24th 2019, 2:18 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

AIUI a police certificate is always necessary if you are applying for an immigrant visa (i.e. application from outside the USA). If you enter the USA on non-immigrant visa the police certificate is only needed if you have been arrested, cautioned or convicted. If you remain in the USA and do adjustment of status from non-immigrant to legal permanent resident a police certificate is not required if you have no criminal record. I don't know what the situation would be if you entered as on a non-immigrant visa with a waiver and then applied to adjust status to LPR.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

L is a non immigrant visa, Police Reports and Medicals do not normally apply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.