Abu Dhabi to Orlando - L1/L2

Old Sep 18th 2019, 7:11 am
Just Joined

johnb1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi to Orlando - L1/L2

Hi Everyone,

The company I work for is proposing that I relocate to Orlando, I currently live in Abu Dhabi (originally form UK) whilst specifics haven't been discussed yet, I am trying to get my ducks in a row before the detailed conversations start.

I have 2 children (18yrs son in University in UK, 15 yrs daughter currently at international school here)

I believe the company will ask for L1 Visa, with L2 for my family
This is fine for school, however if my daughter decides to go to University in USA she will either (I assume)
A: remain on the L2
B: transfer on to her own university applied for student visa

Could this affect any grants received from Florida State (is this even possible as an expat?)

What is the path for her after University (I think I know, she is on her own! To remain in USA she would have to get employment with a Visa attached?)

If I change visa designation (EB1/2 I think) then could green cards eventually be given to my children as well?

Thanks in advance

John

Old Sep 18th 2019, 8:58 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi to Orlando - L1/L2

Children will have aged out by the time you get a green card most likely (at age 21) If that’s the case, you can sponsor them when you become a USC, but it can take a long time depending on their marital status. You have summed up their paths well.

As to financial sponsorship, if you are a non-resident alien (is not a USC or Green Card holder) then you’re not entitled to most forms of assistance.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Given your children's age, you may want to push your employer to sponsor you directly for an employment-based immigrant visa vs an L1 which is a non-immigrant, dual intent visa.

Generally, they're harder to qualify for and employers and less likely to go down that route, but as you're already international and (presumably?) an ExPat in Abu Dhabi, you may have an easier time convincing them you're not a flight risk.

All this aside; I've lived in both Abu Dhabi and the US, and spent a good bit of time in Florida. Orlando is a completely different world to Abu Dhabi, what is driving you to make the move? I'd personally stay in the UAE vs move to Orlando, but that's just my 2 cents. At least you'll be used to heat.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking to stay then you need the Employer to commit to sponsoring a GC and that should be achievable before you daughter hits 21.She would get one as well.

Her L2 would age out at 21 so yes she would then need a F1 if a GC has not been done.

Grants, well that depends on which grants and not sure how anybody could say what the future will be, some Presidential candidates advocate free Uni education so it might not be an issue.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 5:12 am
Just Joined

johnb1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Given your children's age, you may want to push your employer to sponsor you directly for an employment-based immigrant visa vs an L1 which is a non-immigrant, dual intent visa.

Generally, they're harder to qualify for and employers and less likely to go down that route, but as you're already international and (presumably?) an ExPat in Abu Dhabi, you may have an easier time convincing them you're not a flight risk.

All this aside; I've lived in both Abu Dhabi and the US, and spent a good bit of time in Florida. Orlando is a completely different world to Abu Dhabi, what is driving you to make the move? I'd personally stay in the UAE vs move to Orlando, but that's just my 2 cents. At least you'll be used to heat.
Thanks for the answers, I am pretty clear on most things now I think.

Re the move, going where my employer wants me, contract ends here next year so if I stay then I would be looking for another job here and the market is quite tough. The US has always appealed as an expat location (not Florida particularly though, but it would be a great stepping stone in the future to somewhere else in USA, Wyoming/Montana would be ideal...). If we make the move it would be the 5th country I have lived in (and Third for my family)so we are well adapted to the moving shock(if you ever can be!)

Not sure when you lived in Abu Dhabi, and I know this isn't a immigration question but how did you find cost of living compared between the 2. As a Brit growing up it was always USA is cheaper, but on all my visits there (admittedly tourist locations with work) I found it quite expensive.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

US is cheaper in some things (gas prices) and far more expensive in others (eg healthcare)

Pretty much ends up a wash IMO
Old Sep 19th 2019, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I would go to Orlando.

Why Florida State? Florida is bigger, also a well-regarded university, and closer to Orlando.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the 18 year old to come with you, then push for the Green Card right now. They'd be on the L2 for the College, but they'll probably try and press you to use the F1 - both are fine if you only intend on staying a couple of years. The schools like the F1. I am not 100% sure on the Florida rules on scholarships - here in GA our daughter is not eligible as it only extend to Permanent Residents, another reason (if the same) that you'd want to get the GC. Basically, the GC gives you far more benefits, especially when you consider the 18 year old. Once you role in the lawyers costs it may even be a toss up to the company cost wise anyway, so push them down that road as giving you the security you need. You can still treat it as a temporary stop. Longer terms, the GC obviously gives you the option to move jobs, best not to labour that point with them!
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that a F-1 may mean a different set of fees at a given college, which can make a dramatic difference. LPR status simplifies things significantly.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Just been reading about S 386, if that is passed then all the current timelines for GC will change significantly so we will be in a who knows category.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
US is cheaper in some things (gas prices) and far more expensive in others (eg healthcare)

Pretty much ends up a wash IMO
I think you're comparing USA vs UK rather than USA vs UAE.

Things are.. different.

Keeping in mind I also grew up with the "US being cheaper" mentality and the benefit of $2 to £1 exchange rates, but a family holiday to FL vs actually living there is quite different.

To OP's question of USA vs UAE, there are a few fundamental differences:

1) Tax (or lack thereof), not paying this in UAE is a significant advantage. Florida doesn't have an income tax I believe, but you will have federal tax, vs none in UAE.
2) Since you were in Abu Dhabi and not Dubai, you must have been renting, Abu Dhabi rent is insane, presumably, your company covered this + a stipend and maybe even your utilities & car? That's not common as common a practice in the US, so factor that in as a likely added monthly expense.
3) Gas is more expensive in Florida than UAE
4) Groceries and general foods costs are about a wash (except soda, you'll pay a lot more in FL)
5) Alcohol will be cheaper in FL
6) Pork products will be a lot cheaper and easier to come by
7) Day-to-day things/luxuries like taxis or housekeeping will be considerably more expensive in FL
8) General merchandise like clothing etc will be roughly the same

And yes, the elephant in the room is your healthcare expenses can be significant, I presume you had private coverage in the UAE in any case and their quality of care can be excellent, but you will likely pay a higher out of pocket and monthly premium here over UAE. Not enough to likely make a drastic difference in the life of a UK > UAE > US expat.

On the plus side, you won't get woken up at 3/4AM everyday for call to prayer.

Overall though, typing it out, I'd miss the UAE if I'd moved to FL. I'd still prefer it over the UK, but the UAE is just cleaner and higher quality in general than FL.

Last edited by TheKingOfHearts; Sep 20th 2019 at 3:03 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just been reading about S 386, if that is passed then all the current timelines for GC will change significantly so we will be in a who knows category.
Yes, I've been monitoring that myself.

If the bill passes then it's likely that nobody will ever be able to get a Green Card via an L-1 visa for at least ten years after the phase-out, maybe even longer depending on the priority dates.

I just can't for the life of my understand why people are willing to vote for a bill like this. We all know that the backlog is unfair to certain nationalities and that something needs to be done to fix it, but this bill isn't even an interim step - it's a complete disaster for anyone who can't extend indefinitely on an H-1B.

I don't have a priority date locked in yet, so if the bill passes then I'll likely have to leave the US in a couple of year's time.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Pressure from Big Tech and the Indian and Chinese interests.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Chinese interests.
Which is odd, since the Chinese are going to be screwed every bit as bad as the rest of us - literally the only people that remotely benefit from this after the phase-out are backlogged Indian nationals.

The Indian lobbyists I at least understand - they stand to win from this in a big, big way.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Well China is backlogged and you assume that the Indian Bodyshops will be the winners.When it comes down to it the system will benefit the big number players who can put in many applications and have people who will wait which currently suggests India and China. The dynamics will change and I doubt that many of the people posting on here for example would want to be part of the process, some will but it will become self selecting.

Remember for most member's of Congress there is little to lose from this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.