Abandoning Green Card Application

Old May 25th 2023, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abandoning Green Card Application

Originally Posted by LT1
As you didn't submit the I-485 while she was in status, she is now a visa overstayer and will likely be subject to a re-entry bar of three or ten years depending on how long she now overstays
No. As I have said, there is no ban for "visa overstayer"; there is a ban for accruing a certain amount of "unlawful presence" and then leaving the US. She cannot have a 3-year or 10-year unlawful presence ban even if she leaves the US, no matter how long she has overstayed, because she cannot accrue "unlawful presence" for the purpose of the 3-year/10-year unlawful presence bans while under 18.
Old May 25th 2023, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by red_onion
I think we may have screwed up. I was under the impression that to get AOS approved we had to complete the form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, which we did in order to qualify and then complete the form I-485. What we have received is an acknowledgement of the application and relative time of how long it will take to get approved, whatever that means at this point. What are our options?
Was I wrong to complete I-30 for someone who is adjusting status while in the country? Can I now file I-485? Would she still be considered an overstayer? What will happen to the I-30 application pending?

Thank you all. sorry for the confusion?
"AOS" stands for "Adjustment of Status", and I-485 is the application for Adjustment of Status. If she did not file I-485, then she never applied for AOS. I-130 is just the petition, which is filed for both people doing Adjustment of Status inside the US, and for people doing Consular Processing abroad.

Yes, you guys could have, and should have, filed I-130 and I-485 together, or filed I-485 while I-130 was pending. You did not have to wait until the I-130 was approved. Filing I-485 together with the I-130 or while I-130 is pending is allowed when a visa number is available for the category and priority date. And since she is in the Immediate Relative category (spouse, parent, or unmarried under-21 child of US citizen), a visa number is always available.

Yes, she can file I-485 now, no matter how long she may have been out of status now. People who are in the Immediate Relative category do not have to be in status to file for AOS, and how many years they have been out of status makes no difference. They don't need any waiver or other special process. This would be the obvious choice if she were staying in the US. She can also file I-765 for EAD and I-131 for Advance Parole, both for free, together with her I-485. The EAD/AP take several months to get.

However, now that she needs to leave the US for an emergency, that adds complications. If one leaves the US while I-485 is pending, it automatically abandons the I-485 unless 1) the person was granted Advance Parole before leaving and return on that Advance Parole, or 2) the person maintained H1b/H4/L1/L2/K3/K4/V status until right before leaving, and return on the same type of visa. The latter is obviously not relevant for your daughter. Even if she files I-485 with I-131 for Advance Parole now, it would take several months to get the Advance Parole, which would be too long for the emergency. It is possible to file I-485, get the I-485 receipt number (by text if possible), and then try to make an appointment to apply for Emergency Advance Parole in person at a USCIS office. She can't apply for this right now; she needs to have a pending I-485 to qualify for Advance Parole, so it would still be a few days at least before you can get the I-485 receipt number to do this. Plus, they only grant Emergency AP for very urgent emergencies.

If she must leave the US without filing I-485, or she must leave while I-485 is pending without first being granted Advance Parole, then she would basically have no way of returning to the US to do AOS again. (She can't enter the US on most types of nonimmigrant visa with the intent to file AOS during that stay.) So she would have to switch to Consular Processing for an immigrant visa at a US consulate abroad. Since the I-130 is still pending, you should inform USCIS to change the I-130 from AOS to Consular Processing, so that they will send it to NVC after approval. (If you wait until the I-130 is approved, you would have to file I-824 to switch it from AOS to Consular Processing, which takes more money and time.) Since she is under 18, she would not have unlawful presence for the 3-year/10-year unlawful presence bans, no matter how long she stayed after her VWP expired, so she would not have triggered a ban upon leaving. So she should be able to get the immigrant visa with no problems once the process is complete.

(All of this assumes that she is not already a US citizen. Were you not a US citizen when she was born? Or did you not meet the physical presence requirements to pass US citizenship onto her at the time of her birth?)
Old May 25th 2023, 9:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve applied for permanent residency for my daughter who’s 12 through AOS while on ESTA.
Originally Posted by tht
If you read the previous posts it looks like the OP married a USC around 2017/2018 and moved here on a CR1. So he could be a USC by now in theory. Given the daughters age she must be from a previous marriage / relationship. Sounds like she came for the Xmas holidays and decided to stay?
Originally Posted by newacct

(All of this assumes that she is not already a US citizen. Were you not a US citizen when she was born? Or did you not meet the physical presence requirements to pass US citizenship onto her at the time of her birth?)
Perhaps this answers your question.
Old May 25th 2023, 10:06 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

No. As I have said, there is no ban for "visa overstayer"; there is a ban for accruing a certain amount of "unlawful presence" and then leaving the US. She cannot have a 3-year or 10-year unlawful presence ban even if she leaves the US, no matter how long she has overstayed, because she cannot accrue "unlawful presence" for the purpose of the 3-year/10-year unlawful presence bans while under 18.
Yes, you're right, I'd overlooked this.

One other point to note though is until the I-485 is submitted (and receipted), she is in theory at risk of deportation? Highly unlikely I know, but worth calling out.
Old May 25th 2023, 10:07 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Were you not a US citizen when she was born? Or did you not meet the physical presence requirements to pass US citizenship onto her at the time of her birth?
He only got his Green Card in 2018/2019. And we aren't for certain sure he's now a citizen. Which if he isn't, the whole plan was off from the start! So fingers crossed he's naturalized some time in the last couple of years...
Old May 25th 2023, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LT1
Yes, you're right, I'd overlooked this.

One other point to note though is until the I-485 is submitted (and receipted), she is in theory at risk of deportation? Highly unlikely I know, but worth calling out.
Yes, she's deportable. And since she entered on VWP, she is not entitled to a hearing before she is deported. (And technically, even if I-485 is filed, she can still be deported. The normal remedy of having the AOS heard by the immigration judge in removal proceedings doesn't work in this case since she is not entitled to a hearing.) However, this is unlikely to come up since she needs to leave the US soon for an emergency.
Old May 26th 2023, 12:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

"

As he noted he is not a born US Citizen as he married a USC and obtained a green card. The only way his daughter can now become a USC is if 1) she continues the I-130 process abroad and enters the US with an approved IR-1 visa in her passport or 2) she remains in the US and eventually adjusts status in the US to green card holder. At either one of those to points, she automatically becomes a US Citizen based on her naturalized parents US Citizenship.

BTW who filed the I-130? Red Onion or Red Onion's spouse?
Old May 26th 2023, 12:11 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT1
He only got his Green Card in 2018/2019. And we aren't for certain sure he's now a citizen. Which if he isn't, the whole plan was off from the start! So fingers crossed he's naturalized some time in the last couple of years...
​​​​​​On what do you base that conclusion? I'm not too sure about that. Depends upon the facts. Legal consultation is in order.
Old May 26th 2023, 12:15 am
LT1
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
​​​​​​On what do you base that conclusion? I'm not too sure about that. Depends upon the facts. Legal consultation is in order.
His past posts on this forum.
Old May 26th 2023, 12:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Originally Posted by LT1
His past posts on this forum.
If he is not a USC, his USC wife can petition for his daughter.
Old May 27th 2023, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

red_onion, can you clarify whether it was you or your spouse who filed the I-130, and whether that person is a US citizen or a permanent resident? Since your daughter entered on the VWP, she would only be eligible for AOS if she is in the Immediate Relative category (spouse, parent, or unmarried under-21 child of US citizen). If the I-130 petitioner is a permanent resident, she is not eligible to file I-485 based on that petition right now. In that case, she would either have to do Consular Processing, or the US citizen parent would have to file I-130 and with her I-485 filed based on that I-130 (but, again, I-485 might not make sense if she needs to leave soon).
Old May 31st 2023, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

red_onion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
As he noted he is not a born US Citizen as he married a USC and obtained a green card. The only way his daughter can now become a USC is if 1) she continues the I-130 process abroad and enters the US with an approved IR-1 visa in her passport or 2) she remains in the US and eventually adjusts status in the US to green card holder. At either one of those to points, she automatically becomes a US Citizen based on her naturalized parents US Citizenship.

BTW who filed the I-130? Red Onion or Red Onion's spouse?
Hi Rete, Yes I am US citizen and I applied for her. from what I am reading it is ok to go ahead and submit I-485 form. Am I correct?
Old May 31st 2023, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

red_onion, can you clarify whether it was you or your spouse who filed the I-130, and whether that person is a US citizen or a permanent resident? Since your daughter entered on the VWP, she would only be eligible for AOS if she is in the Immediate Relative category (spouse, parent, or unmarried under-21 child of US citizen). If the I-130 petitioner is a permanent resident, she is not eligible to file I-485 based on that petition right now. In that case, she would either have to do Consular Processing, or the US citizen parent would have to file I-130 and with her I-485 filed based on that I-130 (but, again, I-485 might not make sense if she needs to leave soon).
Hello, yes I am a USC. I applied for her.
Old May 31st 2023, 3:55 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

Hi Rete, Yes I am US citizen and I applied for her. from what I am reading it is ok to go ahead and submit I-485 form. Am I correct?
Yes, you can now file I-485 and list the I-140 receipt number in Part 2, Question 3. You should also apply for I-131 Advanced Parole Travel Document. HOWEVER, if she lives before the I-131 is approved, then that will abandon the I-485.

If she must go back to UK now, then I wouldn't file the I-485, and consider consular processing from the UK, once the I-130 is approved?
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Can she use VWP again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.