Abandoning AOS

Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:16 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abandoning AOS

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Wait...sorry about the above post. It seems you've already filed AOS right? How long ago? I'd wait for the AP to come, then take a trip home to see mom.

Rene
Phew, glad you said that, I was going into panic mode. My AOS was filed May 4th, I've had biometrics done and had an INFOPASS appointment to try to schedule and appointment for when my hubby is home, other than that I don't believe anything has happened with my case.

Life is a little crazy, I wish things were just cut and dried one way or another, but I guess I will just have to wait things out and see what happens.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

You are there "under color of law" - not quite the same as being in status, but not under danger of removal. It's a bit of a limbo.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

I was in the same situation in 2003, still in AOS limbo when my Mum, who had already been diagnosed with the terminal Motor Neurone Disease, phoned me in a huge panic because social services were messing her around, and the key members of family that were supposed to be looking after her had let her down. I applied for Advanced Parole (supposedly 30 days max processing time) and booked a flight. Well, on the 30th day, I got a letter saying , my marriage cert was missing, could I send it in. I knew I sent it, I still had dups of everything that I'd sent. Boy, I was spitting mad! I got onto my congressman liaison office, and I had AP in my hand the next day

So I used the AP in the next few months for a 2 week trip, a 4 month trip and another 2 week trip. The last one was her funeral.

When I had the AOS interview, the officer commented on the amount of time I had been out of the country, but I briefly told her what happened and she was perfectly fine with it.

I think under these kind of circumstances they do show sympathy. After all, this is what the AP was designed for.

Good luck with your choices.

regards, Jacque

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; Jun 14th 2010 at 3:02 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dudette
Sorry no we have filed the AOS, we filed it over a month ago, after I got documents from the UK, I am still pending status right even though my I-94 is ended? Did we get it wrong? Am I illegally here?
No, sorry to have scared you. Since you've already filed AOS, you're fine here now. And you are right, if you leave now, before you get AP in hand, you'll abandon your AOS process. Your AP should be coming in another month or so, hopefully you can hang on until then.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:31 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Well today I got an email from my Lawyer, we have our interview on July 19th, it's a Monday morning, is that a good thing?

I guess I will be waiting for that and whatever the outcome I will be returning to the UK shortly after to deal with things regarding my Mum.

Thanks everyone for the support, it is truly appreciated, if there was a hug smiley on here I would use it, instead all I can give you is a great big
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, wonderful news! At the interview, if you get approved, you can ask for a temp I-551 stamp in your passport, so you can leave even before the plastic green card comes in the mail.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

At the interview bring some evidence of your intent to travel, preferably an e-ticket for the flight. They might ask for that before giving you the temporary I-551 stamp.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:45 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Wow, wonderful news! At the interview, if you get approved, you can ask for a temp I-551 stamp in your passport, so you can leave even before the plastic green card comes in the mail.

Rene
I'm still in shock over it to be honest, I just hope it goes well. Do they still do the stamp? Whatever happens at the interview it will be a relief to have it over and done with. I'm really glad I did the INFOPASS appointment last week now. Now to find out from others how their interviews went in Tampa, I'll put that in another post.

Thanks Henry I will try to do that
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

And if you think there's any chance you'll be out of the US longer than 12 months, you should file for a reentry permit as soon as your AoS is approved. But you should try to keep the trips shorter than 6 months, it's less hassle and better for the naturalisation timeline.