Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Abandon Permanent Residency (Green Cards)

Abandon Permanent Residency (Green Cards)

Old Jun 26th 2019, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abandon Permanent Residency (Green Cards)

Originally Posted by Tolga
Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought as well. Is there any link to verify the last bit?

"Starting July 1, I-407 can only be filed by mail"
https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/us...-field-offices
Old Jun 26th 2019, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming this is the best decision for you, the other reason for formally relinquishing your PR status, is that you will be questioned about your GC if you enter the US especially if you drive across. So make sure you keep a copy of the form.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tolga is an unknown quantity at this point

I filled out the I-407 form and mailed it a couple of weeks ago. I have a business trip coming up to the US next week. I haven't received the processed copy of the I-407 from USCIS yet. Can I enter the US with my Canadian passport while my I-407 application is still work-in-progress?
Old Oct 8th 2019, 7:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure you even get a processed copy back from USCIS. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to travel as a visitor as usual.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2019, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I am not sure you even get a processed copy back from USCIS. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to travel as a visitor as usual.

Rene
A quote from https://is.usembassy.gov/visas/aband...nt-status-407/:

Whenever you travel to the United States, you will need to make sure you take a copy of the processed I-407 with you to the airport. If you show up at the airport without the processed I-407 and your passport shows that you had previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card); the airlines will most likely not permit you to board the aircraft.
Old Oct 8th 2019, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've found the answer to your own question already.
Old Oct 8th 2019, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Sounds like you've found the answer to your own question already.
Not really. I don't have the processed form yet and I will be travelling next week.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolga
Not really. I don't have the processed form yet and I will be travelling next week.
The quote you posted says this....

If you show up at the airport without the processed I-407 and your passport shows that you had previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card); the airlines will most likely not permit you to board the aircraft.

Does that not demonstrate that you'll face problems without the I-407?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

For the benefit of other users in your situation OP, what was the outcome here? Did you attempt to travel?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
For the benefit of other users in your situation OP, what was the outcome here? Did you attempt to travel?
Thanks for the reminder. I traveled today without any issues.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines don't care so much about Canadian passports, because generally, no visa is required for visiting the US. Wouldn't take this positive experience as the rule.