8th year pending

Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

jakevisa is on a distinguished road
Default 8th year pending

My 7th year h1b expires tomorrow while 8th year is still pending. I being in state of Florida, my dirving license also expires tomorrow. 8th year was filed in mid Jan and it is no where in sight. Apparently employer filed late despite my suggestion to file 6 months in advance. Is there any way I can renew my dirving license? Has anyone faced this dilemma as well, in this case, how was it handle? Wondering in Florida!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:48 am
J. J. Farrell

Default Re: 8th year pending

On Mar 7, 3:26 pm, jakevisa <[email protected]>
wrote:
> My 7th year h1b expires tomorrow while 8th year is still pending. I
> being in state of Florida, my dirving license also expires tomorrow. 8th
> year was filed in mid Jan and it is no where in sight. Apparently
> employer filed late despite my suggestion to file 6 months in advance.
> Is there any way I can renew my dirving license? Has anyone faced this
> dilemma as well, in this case, how was it handle? Wondering in Florida!

Depends entirely on Florida law and DMV policies unfortunately, and I
don't know those. You will be legally present in the USA since a non-
trivial application has been filed, but they may take some convincing
of that. They could potentially argue that until it's adjudicated they
don't know the end-date of your validity (since the extension could in
theory be refused).

If there's no Florida-specific way round it, the next option is
probably to file for Premium Processing. It will cost $1,000 but
should get an approval within about 10 days (assuming everything is in
order).

Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

i called dmv and told them of my situation. they asked me to come to their office with documents like passport, receipt notice, etc. so i went, they gave me 30 day temp permit, while they cancelled my dirving id. they asked me to come the enxt day again with social securyt card including a letter from employe veryfying employment, as i did not have those in my person. so i went again with requested documents. i was told to take road sign test, which i passed. piece of cake it was. then they issued me another 30-day permit. the real driving id card will come in the mail within the next 30 days. so take a note of this guys if you are in the state of florida and are in same situation as i. hopefully 8th year h1b will get approved within the next 30 days too! the whole process has been very interesting, although not as exciting!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

is it normal for a 8th year hlb extension petition initiated in florida filed with services center in calinfornia? this is the case for me now. probably so as uscis is a fed agency.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:05 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jakevisa
is it normal for a 8th year hlb extension petition initiated in florida filed with services center in calinfornia? this is the case for me now. probably so as uscis is a fed agency.
I live and work in California. When I was on H-1B, it was filed in California. When my I-140 was filed, it was filed in Nebraska. So, I'd say your scenario is not unusual.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

is the expenses incurred in securing h1b extension (uscis and attorney fees) tax deductible? if this is the case, how is the tax filed?