Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

6mths expiry - does it apply in the USA

Wikiposts

6mths expiry - does it apply in the USA

Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:33 am
Just Joined

SheilaoLinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6mths expiry - does it apply in the USA

Hi Folks

My daughter's British passport will expire in 2 months after she returns from the States on 15 December 2007. I have been told that she will not be allowed into the USA becasue it has to expire 6 months after she returns back to South Africa (that where we live currently).

I just can't seem to establish from anyone the exact rules around this whole 6mth expiry thing.

I have been told that so long as it's valid for her visit which is from 1 December to 14 December she will be fine. Like I said, I've also been told that she will be sent back home as soon as she lands in New York.

Does anyone know for sure out there?

Many thankx
Sheila
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6mths expiry - does it apply in the USA

Believe the regulation is that the passport must be valid for a minimum of six months upon entry into the US. Is this what you were trying to say?

Originally Posted by SheilaoLinn
Hi Folks

My daughter's British passport will expire in 2 months after she returns from the States on 15 December 2007. I have been told that she will not be allowed into the USA becasue it has to expire 6 months after she returns back to South Africa (that where we live currently).

I just can't seem to establish from anyone the exact rules around this whole 6mth expiry thing.

I have been told that so long as it's valid for her visit which is from 1 December to 14 December she will be fine. Like I said, I've also been told that she will be sent back home as soon as she lands in New York.

Does anyone know for sure out there?

Many thankx
Sheila
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Look here (if you're using VWP)
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new..._validity.html
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
It doesn't just apply to British passport holders using the VWP.

It also applies to any British passport holder (and passport holders from around 60 other countries) who enter the U.S. on non-immigrant visas.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new.../sixmonth.html
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:28 am
Just Joined

SheilaoLinn is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Many thankx for pointing me to that site. That has given me the comfort that she will not be sent back and I just cannot tell you how relieved I am.

Thankx so much for being interested enough to reply to me.

Regards
Sheila