6 months US/UK

Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months US/UK

Anyone know if you have a residence in UK and only use it part time , maybe 3-6months , if you can still get health coverage as a temporary resident? There must be many Brits that live between the UK and another country - in my case the US.. I am a dual citizen .. Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months US/UK

Hi and welcome to BE,

I've moved your question from the Welcome Inn to our Moving Back to the UK forum. I know you aren't moving back but felt it may be more relevant to move your post to this section.

I don't know for sure but I believe that you have to have moved back permanently in order to qualify for free healthcare from the NHS. Or are you asking about your US health insurance covering you whilst you are in the UK?

Others may have some experiences of this and I'm sure someone will be along soon who will share info.

In the meantime take some time to read through the other threads.

Welcome again and I hope you will enjoy being part of our community.

Sue
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi and welcome to BE,

I've moved your question from the Welcome Inn to our Moving Back to the UK forum. I know you aren't moving back but felt it may be more relevant to move your post to this section.

I don't know for sure but I believe that you have to have moved back permanently in order to qualify for free healthcare from the NHS. Or are you asking about your US health insurance covering you whilst you are in the UK?

Others may have some experiences of this and I'm sure someone will be along soon who will share info.

In the meantime take some time to read through the other threads.

Welcome again and I hope you will enjoy being part of our community.

Sue
Thanks Sue.. I have US health coverage that is supposed to cover when travel , but I'm buying an apartment in UK after 30 years away.. I want to be able to spend part of year in both places .. There must be many that own residences in both US and UK and I'm wondering how they manage health coverage .. I am a dual citizen
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:40 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Thanks Sue.. I have US health coverage that is supposed to cover when travel , but I'm buying an apartment in UK after 30 years away.. I want to be able to spend part of year in both places .. There must be many that own residences in both US and UK and I'm wondering how they manage health coverage .. I am a dual citizen
To be honest I don't know, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who may have experience of this.

I don't usually do this but I am going to copy your thread and also put in in the USA section as I'm still not sure the best forum for this discussion, so this way we can get thoughts from both sides
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i thought there was some rule about 90 days or something. If you live in UK more than 90 days and have home overseas or something pay taxes. Any info on this topic would be appreciated as it is something I would like to do in a few years time..
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to this website which explains who is eligible for NHS treatment, you will see that NHS treatment is for people who are "deemed to be ordinarily resident in the UK".

I would take this to mean that if you are spending only part of the year in the UK and have a residence elsewhere which you use then you are NOT ordinarily resident in the UK and certainly not a permanent resident.

Where do you ordinarily pay your taxes? If in the US then you are a US resident

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074374
Old Jul 10th 2011, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Anyone know if you have a residence in UK and only use it part time , maybe 3-6months , if you can still get health coverage as a temporary resident? There must be many Brits that live between the UK and another country - in my case the US.. I am a dual citizen .. Thanks
Thanks for the info .. Is there anyone out there that has a residence in both places? I'd like any info re. this .. I'm thinking of renting UK place for 6 months and having it available for me the other 6 months.. As a British citizen with a residence is there any way to get temporary NHS status? I'm thinking there must be people that have a similar arrangement especially if retired.. Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2011, 4:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question. If you have sufficient means to maintain a home in the UK and use it regularly (not rented out), you might well be deemed "resident" and hence eligible to use the NHS. However, by the same token, you would probably become fully liable to British income tax. Also think about the liability of your estate for UK Inheritance Tax.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried calling the NHS and asking?
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:09 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS is for British tax payers, because they pay for it. I assume you'll be a US taxpayer.

For your time in the UK, you'll need health insurance. The policy you have may cover you, but they generally have a time limit abroad, often just 30 days.

You'll be able to get care in NHS facilities, but you will have to cover the costs.

Bev
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
The NHS is for British tax payers, because they pay for it. I assume you'll be a US taxpayer.

For your time in the UK, you'll need health insurance. The policy you have may cover you, but they generally have a time limit abroad, often just 30 days.

You'll be able to get care in NHS facilities, but you will have to cover the costs.
If a US citizen (or green card holder) then they will always be a US taxpayer. However, if they establish a residence in Britain and use it, they will also become a British taxpayer (possibly with credit for US tax). With that, comes eligibility to use the NHS.

One aspect also to consider is that if one is originally from the UK, obtaining a residence for personal use in Britain (and using it) is likely to mean that a British domicile is re-activated and with this comes liability for UK Inheritance Tax on worldwide assets. Although this isn't a problem for 95% of estates which come below the nil rate band, someone with the means to run two homes may well be within the 5%.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
If a US citizen (or green card holder) then they will always be a US taxpayer. However, if they establish a residence in Britain and use it, they will also become a British taxpayer (possibly with credit for US tax). With that, comes eligibility to use the NHS.

One aspect also to consider is that if one is originally from the UK, obtaining a residence for personal use in Britain (and using it) is likely to mean that a British domicile is re-activated and with this comes liability for UK Inheritance Tax on worldwide assets. Although this isn't a problem for 95% of estates which come below the nil rate band, someone with the means to run two homes may well be within the 5%.
Thanks for info, there is so much to learn and to consider. I'm glad I found this site
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:00 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

This is a quote from the website mentioned earlier:

"Nationality or past or present payments of UK taxes and National Insurance contributions are not taken into consideration when establishing residence. The only thing relevant is whether you ordinarily live in the UK."

.........which is ordinarily very nice for those of us returning.

Last edited by Xebedee; Jul 13th 2011 at 11:09 am. Reason: It helps if I actually read the source info.........
Old Jul 13th 2011, 2:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Good "heads-up" about the UK Inheritance Tax. Apparently the nil-rate band is now £350,000. Now, any prudent person who wants to retire & have enough to live on for the remainder of their life (or lives for a couple) would have more than £350,000 in savings, investments and retirement savings. (Unless they have a very good defined benefit plan + Social Security.)

Last edited by robin1234; Jul 13th 2011 at 2:43 pm. Reason: put in £ instead of $!!