2020 and the joys of N400 waiting

Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of
Default 2020 and the joys of N400 waiting

Hello again,
I've been searching through the N400 threads for an answer to my questions.
I applied for naturalization before the price hike in October and have for the most part been successful in not thinking too much about it....but. .I received a notification on the USCIS portal. I wasn't able to view it until this evening and it's telling me they're able to use my previous biometrics information (from 2013, 10 year GC application) without the need for an appointment. The notice also states the biometrics portion of the filing fee will not be refunded (not particularly concerned about this). Obviously there's no worries about fingerprints changing or my appearance dramatically changing over the past 7 years but it does seem a long time.
Like I said, I've searched other threads and haven't seen this mentioned before. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?
Maybe I'm overthinking every worse case scenario but with 2020 being as untrustworthy as a wet fart, another perspective would be reassuring.
Cheers to anyone taking the time to read this and even replying with their $0.02.

Last edited by _Clueless$y$t€m_; Nov 15th 2020 at 2:10 am. Reason: Added info about non refund of biometrics
Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 and the joys of N400 waiting

I have seen a couple of posts on here where new biometrics were not required, due to the pandemic. All is well.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Clueless$y$t€m_
Hello again,
I've been searching through the N400 threads for an answer to my questions.
I applied for naturalization before the price hike in October and have for the most part been successful in not thinking too much about it....but. .I received a notification on the USCIS portal. I wasn't able to view it until this evening and it's telling me they're able to use my previous biometrics information (from 2013, 10 year GC application) without the need for an appointment. The notice also states the biometrics portion of the filing fee will not be refunded (not particularly concerned about this). Obviously there's no worries about fingerprints changing or my appearance dramatically changing over the past 7 years but it does seem a long time.
Like I said, I've searched other threads and haven't seen this mentioned before. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?
Maybe I'm overthinking every worse case scenario but with 2020 being as untrustworthy as a wet fart, another perspective would be reassuring.
Cheers to anyone taking the time to read this and even replying with their $0.02.
The N400 biometrics seams like a useless step anyway, they will donut again at your I yet view anyway. So they can get a new picture then.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

Thank you Noorah and tht for taking time out to reply. TBH I'd prefer the 2013 biometrics pic being used as there's a slightly thicker and more lustrous hairline. First world problems , I guess!
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

My adult son and I applied around the same time to squeak in before the price hike, and we also received the same letters last week. So it sounds like it’s a standard thing this year, to avoid unnecessary contact.

I was quite surprised that my son didn’t have to be re-biometric’d, though, as he was only 14 when he last renewed his green card. His appearance has changed quite a bit now that he’s almost 21!
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 8:24 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
My adult son and I applied around the same time to squeak in before the price hike, and we also received the same letters last week. So it sounds like it’s a standard thing this year, to avoid unnecessary contact.

I was quite surprised that my son didn’t have to be re-biometric’d, though, as he was only 14 when he last renewed his green card. His appearance has changed quite a bit now that he’s almost 21!
they take it again at interview so it’s not like they won’t have the most recent biometrics before any approval.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:44 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If they let you skip the biometrics do they return the fee?
Old Nov 24th 2020, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
they take it again at interview so it’s not like they won’t have the most recent biometrics before any approval.
They do? I'm pretty sure they didn't take my photo on my interview day. I don't actually remember if they took fingerprints -- maybe when checking in?

Heads-up to everyone that photos are actually printed on the citizenship certificates! In my case, the photo was the one taken at the N400 biometrics appointment, so I can't say what they are doing in cases when these have been waived. But I definitely had not prepared accordingly for mine, so that was a fun surprise on oath day...
Old Nov 24th 2020, 9:55 pm
tht

Originally Posted by retzie
They do? I'm pretty sure they didn't take my photo on my interview day. I don't actually remember if they took fingerprints -- maybe when checking in?

Heads-up to everyone that photos are actually printed on the citizenship certificates! In my case, the photo was the one taken at the N400 biometrics appointment, so I can't say what they are doing in cases when these have been waived. But I definitely had not prepared accordingly for mine, so that was a fun surprise on oath day...
Indeed my N-550 has a pretty bad “mug shot” from the webcam which looks like it’s from interview day (not 100%) ... between the hotel bar and being there to line up outside at 7am was not the best picture. I kind of recall fingerprints as well as the web cam picture in the in the interview room, but I also had biometrics months earlier at an ASC in the state next door. Since I assume that everyone going through this process has a green card I assume they use the old biometrics for the FBI/background checks and then juts do it again at interview to confirm it’s the same / you they did the check on.

confirmed on fingerprints. See post 11 from this thread the day of my interview: N400 Interview next week - questions although this was all pre CV19 so I assume the process has changed to accommodate.

Last edited by tht; Nov 24th 2020 at 10:05 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

chrisw1968uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting kind of concerned about my N400 Biometrics appointment, I sent in my app in March and received an appointment - then an email from them saying my appointment had been postponed due to covid. I check online nearly every day and it said estimated completion time - November

About 3 weeks ago, the November disappeared and it is now blank - I sent them an online message 3 weeks ago, just to confirm that I am to sit tight and they will write to me with a new appointment - this message has not been responded to yet, I hope i haven't fallen through the cracks somewhere ;( (My Green Card has now expired)
Old Nov 25th 2020, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie

Oh goodness! It was pouring with rain the day I had mine done and I looked a terrible mess. I’m bracing myself for “oath day shock”.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Unsurprisingly, they do not!
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:33 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Clueless$y$t€m_
Unsurprisingly, they do not!
That actually does surprise me. They were increasing fees when I was applying to remove conditions from my greencard so I sent the new fee and they rejected my application as I'd overpaid. I guess refunding a partial payment is more hassle than flat out rejecting an application though.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:27 pm
tht

That actually does surprise me. They were increasing fees when I was applying to remove conditions from my greencard so I sent the new fee and they rejected my application as I'd overpaid. I guess refunding a partial payment is more hassle than flat out rejecting an application though.
I assume that the fee also covers FBI background check etc, and that they just use the previous biometrics and still do the same checks.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

They retained my fee despite not doing new biometrics "for your convenience"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.