1st visit to Las Vegas & Hawaii

Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all
Default Re: 1st visit to Las Vegas & Hawaii

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Vegas is partucularly child friendly,
I assume you mean Vegas ISN'T particularly child friendly. Apart from Circus Circus, as you mention, I can only really think of the Stratosphere thrill rides to keep them amused. There is always sitting round the pool, which sort of defeats the idea of being in Vegas to me. We did do a Canyon helicopter trip that included lunch at an Arizona cattle ranch with the "cowboys" hamming it up for the tourists and that was fun.
Don't mean to be negative but Vegas really is more of an adult's playground, especially at night.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the correction definately NOT particularly child friendly, there is the M&M exhibit up near the MGM, plus the pirate show at Treasure Island but in general not much for children
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Thanks for the correction definately NOT particularly child friendly, there is the M&M exhibit up near the MGM, plus the pirate show at Treasure Island but in general not much for children
We've taken our daughter to LV since she was 4 and always found plenty to do...plus the OP is only spending 3 nights there. I would say child friendly hotels are Treasure Island, Excalibur, Circus Circus. I haven't stayed in any of those...my sister stayed at Treasure Island with a 10 and 15 yr old and they loved it.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Signature MGM is the condo high rises behind the MGM, and not on the Strip. For 3 nights only, you may want to not stay there, but into one of the Strip properties. Harrah's is a central choice, and they have a shuttle up to the Rio and other Harrah's properties. And last check, they do not charge 'resort' fees.

If you are going in summertime, or swim time, then with kids, the Excalibur is a great deal with fab pools, and the cheapest cabana rental on the strip (worth it with free cool non-alcoholic drinks, shade, VIP service.)

If 'kids' are teens, check out the pinball museum on E Trop, near the former Liberace museum (closed due to lack of funding.)

However, if you stay at Signature, do you get run of the MGM (hotel) pools? They have AWESOME pools, along with wave pools and a beach. Most hotel groups do have shuttles amongst their own properties, so ask before using taxi or the monorail.

As a former local, I can tell ya that the monorail is the most inconvenient (wayyyy back of hotel) and most expensive way to move about the strip. If 4 folks, take a taxi or walk.

3 nights is not a long time for Vegas, so do re-consider the decision to not stay on the Strip.

And remember: Tip your dealer!

Enjoy!!!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Signature MGM is the condo high rises behind the MGM, and not on the Strip. For 3 nights only, you may want to not stay there, but into one of the Strip properties. Harrah's is a central choice, and they have a shuttle up to the Rio and other Harrah's properties. And last check, they do not charge 'resort' fees.

If you are going in summertime, or swim time, then with kids, the Excalibur is a great deal with fab pools, and the cheapest cabana rental on the strip (worth it with free cool non-alcoholic drinks, shade, VIP service.)

If 'kids' are teens, check out the pinball museum on E Trop, near the former Liberace museum (closed due to lack of funding.)

However, if you stay at Signature, do you get run of the MGM (hotel) pools? They have AWESOME pools, along with wave pools and a beach. Most hotel groups do have shuttles amongst their own properties, so ask before using taxi or the monorail.

As a former local, I can tell ya that the monorail is the most inconvenient (wayyyy back of hotel) and most expensive way to move about the strip. If 4 folks, take a taxi or walk.

3 nights is not a long time for Vegas, so do re-consider the decision to not stay on the Strip.

And remember: Tip your dealer!

Enjoy!!!
Yes I stated in post #6 that Sig occupants can use all MGM amenities.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:21 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
I assume you mean Vegas ISN'T particularly child friendly. Apart from Circus Circus, as you mention, I can only really think of the Stratosphere thrill rides to keep them amused. There is always sitting round the pool, which sort of defeats the idea of being in Vegas to me. We did do a Canyon helicopter trip that included lunch at an Arizona cattle ranch with the "cowboys" hamming it up for the tourists and that was fun.
Don't mean to be negative but Vegas really is more of an adult's playground, especially at night.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We've taken our daughter to LV since she was 4 and always found plenty to do...plus the OP is only spending 3 nights there. I would say child friendly hotels are Treasure Island, Excalibur, Circus Circus. I haven't stayed in any of those...my sister stayed at Treasure Island with a 10 and 15 yr old and they loved it.
I agree, I think there is plenty to do with a kid in Vegas, especially when obly there for 3 nights. We also took our daughter for the first time when she was 4, been back twice since and feel I have done everything I want to do there with a kid in tow.

The Gondola's at the Venetian are fun, the amusement park in Circus Circus (but take a cab there and back), the rollercoaster in NY, Seigfried and Roys Dolphin and Tiger exhibit at The Mirage, the pirate show at Treasure Island, the lions at MGM, the free shows in the malls in Ceasers Palace and The Venetian, the aquarium in the mall at Ceasers. Easily fill 3 days, its just a question of if the kids can keep up?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Fremont Street is worth a look in the evening too. The light show is gaudy as ever though is maybe starting to look a little dated.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies.

We haven't ultimately decided where to stay in Vegas and I am currently looking at all your suggestions.

As far as Hawaii is concerned I have decided 7 nights on Kauai and 3 nights on Big Island which seems to be a reasonable compromise !
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Best island for kids is Oahu by far.

We have a place on Oahu and every year we spend 3 weeks at a time there and our kids still dont want to go home - mind you we do live in Jersey!!

The other islands are good for 2-3 day trips max.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

oh - Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay! Its really awesome.

In fact, we leave for Vegas in a few days ourselves. (Again, second home hunting.)

Enjoy Vegas! I loved living there and hope to again in the future. Houston - its too HUMID here!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digbydog
Best island for kids is Oahu by far.

We have a place on Oahu and every year we spend 3 weeks at a time there and our kids still dont want to go home - mind you we do live in Jersey!!

The other islands are good for 2-3 day trips max.
Not just for kids. I enjoyed the restaurants along Waikiki, the hike up Diamond Head, strolls along the beach at night, and other things.

I suppose if you are more into nature, the other islands are probably better.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:52 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I've stayed at the Luxor before (really liked it), and the Flamingo (showing its age). We are going again at the end of this month, staying at Mandalay Bay. MB has a huge beach, lazy river etc., supposed to be good for kids (although we are leaving our sprog in Seattle). Naomi.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with everyone else about Hawaii, try and do some island hopping.

The resorts are what they are and can be quite expensive, if you are just going to sit on the beach then fine. If you want to explore the islands drive around a bit and maybe see volcanoes, telescopes etc consider one of the many smaller B&B type accommodations which would certainly work out cheaper. Some of these places are fabulous, tucked away up in coffee plantations or just a short walk from the beach.

Avoid Honolulu except for changing planes, Pearl Harbor if you like that sort of thing and the famous Side Street Inn.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Agree with everyone else about Hawaii, try and do some island hopping.

The resorts are what they are and can be quite expensive, if you are just going to sit on the beach then fine. If you want to explore the islands drive around a bit and maybe see volcanoes, telescopes etc consider one of the many smaller B&B type accommodations which would certainly work out cheaper. Some of these places are fabulous, tucked away up in coffee plantations or just a short walk from the beach.

Avoid Honolulu except for changing planes, Pearl Harbor if you like that sort of thing and the famous Side Street Inn.
you can take the city bus, bus 8 is the Waikki bus.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

I know this is an old thread but wanted to say thanks for all the replies.

We returned yesterday from our trip and had the most amazing time ever.

We stayed for 4 nights in Vegas - MGM Signature. Off the strip but massive rooms and good pools. Loved, loved Vegas and so did my boys. will definitely return.

We then flew to Kauai for 7 nights - we stayed on the North Shore in the Hanalei Colony Resort. The 'resort' is basically 2 bedroomed condos. We will never forget falling asleep listening to the waves on the beach ! We slept the best in our lives. The pool and BBQ area was great and really good for chatting to fellow holidaymakers. Loved Kauai - it is very, very beautiful. Missing having to make the difficult choice of which beach to go to or which cocktail to have !

From Kauai we flew to the Big Island for 2 nights - which if being honest was enough for us. It was great to see the volcano and my first load of sea turtles. Stayed in the volcano area which probably explains the constant rain and having to light a fire in the evening.

Our last 2 nights was in Waikiki which we did like. The weather was great and the kids loved surfing.

All in all a truly memorable holiday. This was our first visit to the States and will not be the last. Everyone was incredibly friendly (apart from United airlines which we have vowed never to use again) - we feel a road trip coming on.

Hard to be back especially as all doom and gloom at the moment.

Thanks again