Wikiposts

17 year old son is staying on...

Old May 10th 2004, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

kaosbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17 year old son is staying on...

Wonder if anyone can help me? I need to find out what papers I need to file to register my 17 year old son with the INS. He flew in a month ago from england and wants to stay here with myself and my American family (America wife, 3 kids - 1 mine, born in the US). I am a permanent resident who is applying for change of status this month (does this make a difference I wonder?)

I have spoken to the INS and they reeled off 6 forms that I will need to file (and pay for). All I want to find out is what ones do I need to file RIGHT NOW and which ones can wait. I am confused (as always) with the amount of paperwork and having problems getting the monies together in one go..

The INS website is a little confusing it states I need to file the following:
Form I-130 Petition for an Alien Relative
U.S. citizen's birth certificate (copy),
Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship; or the legal permanent resident's alien registration receipt card
Copy of child's birth certificate showing the name of both parents
Copy of marriage certificate showing the names of both parents, or proof that a parent/child relationship exists or existed. (If you are a stepparent, the date on the marriage certificate should prove that you married your stepchild's natural parent before your stepchild's 18th birthday.)
A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees showing that any previous marriages entered into by you or your spouse ended legally.

Do I do this first and then follow up with the rest or what? Can someone please let me know what documents are essential to start the process. The INS said he will need a sponsor - can both my wife and I sponsor him?

Regards

Geezer
Old May 10th 2004, 11:15 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 year old son is staying on...

If you're applying for your own adjustment this month, then you are not a permanent resident yet.

What kind of documents did your son enter with? Did he have a visa?

If your son entered the US under the visa waiver program (green form I-94W), you may be in trouble. He may not be able to adjust status from a visa waiver. He may have to wait outside of the US for the immigrant packet to become available. You could end up paying a lot of fees for something that can't be approved.

Originally posted by kaosbiker
Wonder if anyone can help me? I need to find out what papers I need to file to register my 17 year old son with the INS. He flew in a month ago from england and wants to stay here with myself and my American family (America wife, 3 kids - 1 mine, born in the US). I am a permanent resident who is applying for change of status this month (does this make a difference I wonder?)

I have spoken to the INS and they reeled off 6 forms that I will need to file (and pay for). All I want to find out is what ones do I need to file RIGHT NOW and which ones can wait. I am confused (as always) with the amount of paperwork and having problems getting the monies together in one go..

Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship; or the legal permanent resident's alien registration receipt card
Copy of marriage certificate showing the names of both parents, or proof that a parent/child relationship exists or existed. (If you are a stepparent, the date on the marriage certificate should prove that you married your stepchild's natural parent before your stepchild's 18th birthday.)
A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees showing that any previous marriages entered into by you or your spouse ended legally.

Do I do this first and then follow up with the rest or what? Can someone please let me know what documents are essential to start the process. The INS said he will need a sponsor - can both my wife and I sponsor him?

Regards

Geezer
Old May 11th 2004, 7:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 year old son is staying on...

If you are already a PR what are you changing your status to? Citizen? If you are a PR, or even if you are not, you cannot should not apply for your son. Your USC wife has to do it as her stepson. There should not be a problem with his entry under the VWP and change to resident.

She needs to file forms I-130 and I-485 along with the G-325 Bio form along with the required documentation. Unless you live in the Baltimore, Maryland jurisdiction all forms are filed at one time with the USCIS (not there is no INS) at the local district office. If your son wants to work and get a social security card (which is needed for most everything), he should apply for an employment authorization document via form I-765 at the same time. When the EAD is received, he is then eligible to get a social security number.

If you are a PR already, the process is just like your filing way back when.

Rete

Originally posted by kaosbiker

Regards

Geezer