Wikiposts

16 year old son moving away

Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

ejbsom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 16 year old son moving away

My son is 16 and is in a long distance relationship with a girl in the US. He has mentioned eventually marrying her. What will his options be for living in the states or in UK? If they decide to live in the states what are my chances of moving out there with my husband and our other 2 children. Not sure I could imagine living 3000 miles away from any of my children. Any help is much appreciated.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 16 year old son moving away

Originally Posted by ejbsom
My son is 16 and is in a long distance relationship with a girl in the US. He has mentioned eventually marrying her. What will his options be for living in the states or in UK? If they decide to live in the states what are my chances of moving out there with my husband and our other 2 children. Not sure I could imagine living 3000 miles away from any of my children. Any help is much appreciated.
He's 16 and he'll find someone else.

But if they get married, which they would have to for him to live in the US, he would need to gain Citizenship to sponsor anyone else, and even then I'm not sure if you can sponsor your parents.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:29 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

You can sponsor your parents and siblings but it's certainly not fast, siblings can take 10 years or so. What makes you think your other children would want to move to the US too?

EDIT: Just checked your old posts and you said your children were 11 9 and 3 back in 2007, how did one hit 16 so fast?

Last edited by SpoogleDrummer; Sep 1st 2009 at 4:32 am.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, as he is a minor, you've got two years to worry about it! And at 16, one or the other will no doubt have met some else, by then...
Btw, have you given up your other plans?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your son would not be able to petition for his parents to come until he is a US citizen and 21 years old.
Thank the stars I didn't marry my 16 y/o 'love'. eek!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you were moving to France. Or Canada

It is going to take a long time for your son to get you out as a family.

He will have to wait until he is 21. Hopefully he is a USC by then, assuming he moves out when he is 18. I'm not sure exactly how long it will take him to become a USC. Once he is a USC, it will take, by current standards, 10 years wait to sponsor his siblings.

So you are looking at a likely minimum of 15 years before you can be a family together in the US.

In short, forget about it.

In any case, basing plans on a 16 year old's love life is just silly. Not to mention putting the pressure of your own hopes and fantasies on his teenage shoulders. Quite a bizarre idea really.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag

..............basing plans on a 16 year old's love life is just silly. Not to mention putting the pressure of your own hopes and fantasies on his teenage shoulders. Quite a bizarre idea really.
bizarre, sick and utterly stupid...
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by caleyjag

It is going to take a long time for your son to get you out as a family.

He will have to wait until he is 21. Hopefully he is a USC by then, assuming he moves out when he is 18. I'm not sure exactly how long it will take him to become a USC. Once he is a USC, it will take, by current standards, 10 years wait to sponsor his siblings.

So you are looking at a likely minimum of 15 years before you can be a family together in the US.

In short, forget about it.

In any case, basing plans on a 16 year old's love life is just silly. Not to mention putting the pressure of your own hopes and fantasies on his teenage shoulders. Quite a bizarre idea really.
I have to agree. I am sure his new wife would be thrilled at the idea of her in-laws living close by too!!!. I bet she isn't expecting that one.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:57 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
bizarre, sick and utterly stupid...
Yeh, my 6 year old just watched Superman, and now he's planning to be a superhero. I'm looking for information about disguises, kryptonite, villains, and cold weather gear just in case his fortress of solitude is located somewhere really cold. Also, what is the immigration policy for Metropolis, and does he need a passport to come back from outer space if he has to hurl something into the sun to save the planet?

kthanksbye
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Noorah, you deleted my post because it's not helpful to the OP's scheme to sign away her 16yo kid's future for a cheap grab at a US Passport? I'm sorry, we're supposed to be helping this lady?!!

Last edited by agentred; Sep 2nd 2009 at 3:33 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
Noorah, you deleted my post because it's not helpful to the OP's scheme to sign away her 16yo kid's future for a cheap grab at a US Passport? We're supposed to be helping this lady?!!
I deleted it mostly because it included name-calling in reference to half the forum, and that's not appropriate.

And yes, the OP came for help...you can choose not to help her, but don't put down half the forum while doing so.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The day before the OP posted this thread, she was asking about moving to France with her husband and three children.
It's somewhat difficult to know how to help her...
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:37 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
Noorah, you deleted my post because it's not helpful to the OP's scheme to sign away her 16yo kid's future for a cheap grab at a US Passport? I'm sorry, we're supposed to be helping this lady?!!
I got the same feeling that it was a premeditated chain-migration scheme at the expense of a juvenile.

Either way, if the other posts are taken into account, this seems like a troll, or something more troubling. A reasonable person would not indulge their child under these circumstances unless there was an ulterior motive.

Perhaps they grew tired of the "help me get all of this money out of country X" emails and moved on to trolling for US citizen marriage partners for the child. I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't the first international move by the OP either.