“Willing to bear arms”

Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: “Willing to bear arms”

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
What happens if you tick No on this part of the N-400? Can you say you’re a pacifist so it goes against your moral beliefs? And then tick yes for non-combant/civilian services?
What age are you? Did you register for Selective Service when you became a permanent resident?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:20 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What age are you? Did you register for Selective Service when you became a permanent resident?
Depends on if OP is male or female right?

As others have mentioned - the chances of actually being called to arms in this day and age are small and things would have to be pretty bad for them to ask.... me for example. When the formalities were done, I joked that the only person likely to get killed from my aim is me.

If you're serious about becoming a citizen I would strongly recommend saying 'yes' when they run through the requirements to avoid complications/deferments.etc
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is a Brit then you should have chosen Canada Guess who you swear Alleigance to?

I swear (or affirm)
That I will be faithful
And bear true allegiance
To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second
Queen of Canada
Her Heirs and Successors
And that I will faithfully observe
The laws of Canada
And fulfil my duties
As a Canadian citizen.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the N-400 process and I looked into this. If you say 'no', they can ask about your beliefs, etc. As long as you can present a reason why and back up your beliefs, no problem. But maybe you are just asking a hypothetical question. In fact, the whole concept is hypothetical. If it comes to it that the United States, with its very well-trained and equipped military, is relying on me who has never touched a gun in her life to save the country from the enemy then the situation is obviously very bad and I will likely have already evacuated myself back to the UK by then.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

then the situation is obviously very bad and I will likely have already evacuated myself back to the UK by then.
If you think that the UK would not be embroiled in the same conflict then you have no idea about history.

It was even involved in the Civil War, tacitly. On the Confederate side.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
As long as you can present a reason why and back up your beliefs, no problem.
Indeed:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/...rt-j-chapter-3
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The Guardian - or the Manchester Guardian was it was known then - sided with the Confederacy and branded Lincoln "abhorrent", calling it an "evil day" for the US and the world when he was elected.

Weird how times change.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you think that the UK would not be embroiled in the same conflict then you have no idea about history.

Well kind of, but ultimately the embargo against cotton severely impoverished the Confederacy, even though it also hurt the milling and fabric industry in the UK too.

Anyway, I can't image a dual citizen country pairing from either the US or UK perspective that is less likely to ever cause an issue than being a UK-US dual citizen. And if you're ever in a group taken hostage by islamic militants, whether you're travelling on a US or British passport is only likely to make a difference between being killed in the first group or the second.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:29 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, you have to agree to give up allegiance to any foreign King or Potentate too, and most of us have kept our British Citizenship.
To a tad more precise, the naturalization oath requires the renunciation. The question then becomes whether or not the other country recognizes the renunciation. As a friend once put it “I told Liz to go to hell, but it seems she thinks I’m not allowed to do that.”

If you have a US passport, take a look at page 7, item #14 on dual nationality. It has long struck me that one might be compelled to commit treason. See Kawakita v US although Kawakita did a tad more that serving as a conscript.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice

Food for thought but yes it’s a hypothetical question really especially as I’m over 35 and female
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
Food for thought but yes it’s a hypothetical question really especially as I’m over 35 and female
I think the chances of anyone ever being conscripted into the military in future in the US is approximately zero, but yes, being 35 makes it even less likely for you .... if there is anything less than a probability of zero?

I am not sure if being female is relevant to the question, in 2020.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 3:44 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think the chances of anyone ever being conscripted into the military in future in the US is approximately zero, but yes, being 35 makes it even less likely for you .... if there is anything less than a probability of zero?

I am not sure if being female is relevant to the question, in 2020.
did they change selective service now?

https://www.sss.gov/

Registration for Men 18-25

i think that’s what the OP was referring to although I think that’s separate to the initial question about bearing arms.

Last edited by tht; Jul 2nd 2020 at 3:55 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by tht
did they change selective service now?

https://www.sss.gov/

Registration for Men 18-25
I think that’s what the OP was referring to although I think that’s separate to the initial question about bearing arms.

Nope, but hypothetically if they ever did (which I sincerely doubt they ever will, other than perhaps one day to "get real" and scrap it), I'd bet that they'd make it gender equal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 2nd 2020 at 4:00 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nope, but hypothetically if they ever did (which I sincerely doubt they ever will, other than perhaps one day to "get real" and scrap it), I'd bet that they'd make it gender equal.
There would be a civil war if they did not.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
There would be a civil war if they did not.
Or if any serious argie-bargie broke out, a lot of men suddenly "identifying" as women.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 2nd 2020 at 9:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.