Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

It’s complicated! Ex green-card holder wants to return to U.S.

It’s complicated! Ex green-card holder wants to return to U.S.

Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It’s complicated! Ex green-card holder wants to return to U.S.

Happy Birthday
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

MarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond repute

Hah - Ian doesn't get any easier does it? Am hanging onto the fact I am still in my 50's!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

MarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet Boiler....not yet!!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know when my son fills in the Petition form does he do the sponsorship one at the same time?
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is for the interview.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 5:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarieTh
Does anyone know when my son fills in the Petition form does he do the sponsorship one at the same time?
Originally Posted by Boiler
That is for the interview.
In Marie's case, the I-864 will go to NVC once they request it, after the I-130 is approved.

The I-864 only goes to the visa interview if it's a DCF case, which this is not.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

HI Noorah can you explain what the NVC is and the DCF am not familiar with those terms? thank you so much, appreciate your knowledge
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

HI Noorah can you explain what the NVC is and the DCF am not familiar with those terms? thank you so much, appreciate your knowledge
NVC - National Visa Center
DCF - Direct Consular Filing.

We have a TLA (three letter acronym) page here!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jun 8th 2015 at 7:34 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:34 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marie,

I just read your post and wanted to wish you well.
Good luck and don't give up!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your responses and I certainly won't be giving up this is too important to me and the kids would never forgive me! I must say I used to parade my very British-ness when I lived in the U.S.and now I am back I can't wait to leave - quite the oxymoron - hah
Good luck to all....
Old Jun 9th 2015, 1:21 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you worked in the US for 19 years or more accurately, more than 40 quarters, then you qualify for social security and also Medicare without having to pay the Part A premium. And as for the CO saying people like you annoy him, might want to remind him a lot of people do it to avoid having to deal with the IRS and renouncing citizenship is a major pain compared to filling in a I-407.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

20 something plus years and never applied for citizenship! When you return to the US the 'Britishness' I bet would count for nought People don't know how they change once they start living in a different environment in spite of how hard they try to hold on to their culture/identity/ or what not.

I wish you all the best. In a matter of time you will be kissing the tarmac
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you worked in the US for 19 years or more accurately, more than 40 quarters, then you qualify for social security and also Medicare without having to pay the Part A premium. And as for the CO saying people like you annoy him, might want to remind him a lot of people do it to avoid having to deal with the IRS and renouncing citizenship is a major pain compared to filling in a I-407.
Steve you are right and adding up when I worked I think it is about that 19 years
I had researched that awhile back and has forgotten!
Thank you for the reminder
The CO I met with in October was actually quite pleasant despite his comment. The sheer idiocy of not applying for citizenship is hard to get your head around after such a long time ! But hopefully we live and learn 😄
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Heading_Baltimore
20 something plus years and never applied for citizenship! When you return to the US the 'Britishness' I bet would count for nought People don't know how they change once they start living in a different environment in spite of how hard they try to hold on to their culture/identity/ or what not.

I wish you all the best. In a matter of time you will be kissing the tarmac
That's all very true
I used to wave the red white and blue vigorously! What's funny my british work colleagues are always laughing at my "American phrases" I didn't even realise I had picked up😄 and are always telling me how american I sound!
It is hard to come back after such a long time - so please direct anyone to me who might be thinking of doing the same!
Bless you for responding 😄
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Steve you are right and adding up when I worked I think it is about that 19 years
Steve_ has mentioned something that sparked a thought. If you can demonstrate having earned 40 quarters of social security credits based on working in the US previously (roughly 10 years), then your son doesn't need to file an I-864 on your behalf and his income won't matter. He can file an I-864W on your behalf (the "W" is important!). See details here.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.