Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

$585!! 2 prev marriages= 2 div decree's!!

$585!! 2 prev marriages= 2 div decree's!!

Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $585!! 2 prev marriages= 2 div decree's!!

Originally Posted by michigan_jim
I could not even *begin* to tell you how many times I have had to walk people through things that were 100% their own fault. Part of what made me good at that is that I am very empathetic, and realize that everyone makes mistakes, has a learning curve, and so on.
Now imagine you had 100 people you had to walk through at the same time for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year, and they have all been waiting for months or years for you to get to them. Then imagine that they are all bitching about the time it's taking, how much it costs and how bad you are at your job. Would you still take the time to give individual attention? Personally I think it's great that USCIS even take the time to send an RFE, they could just take your money and deny you right there an then for not following the directions.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Do I have to officially "abandon" this case to start over, or does the fact that it was denied serve that function?

There is nothing to abandon. The case has been closed.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

michigan_jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Abandon what case? The only case you mentioned is the I-129F that was completed by its denial.
That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure (as you can well imagine, I am now more than a bit gun-shy on making mistakes).
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Well said. However, it is not original. There is the old joke in government circles -- "This is not Burger King. You can't have it your own way."
Thanks for the laugh!!! I could sure use it!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I thought govt. employees were paid by our taxes. I would doubt that the fees collected through submission of immigration forms are enough to cover their salaries and benefits.
I'm sorry you feel that way; what Ian & JEff posted is a fact.

Last edited by meauxna; Sep 1st 2009 at 4:12 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

m_j,

As Ian also indicated in his post #23 earlier in this thread, the cost of operations of CIS is intended to be paid for by the revenues received in the form of fees so that the cost of providing benefits to immigrants is paid for by the immigrants and not the US taxpayer. Cost reviews are made periodically and fees are revised to keep CIS revenue-neutral.

The CIS Fact Sheet here
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...t_02042008.pdf
tells you a little bit about CIS' FY 2009 budget, and the workload figures should give you some idea about why the service cannot afford the time to 'babysit' applicants and petitioners who do not read and follow instructions.

Regards, JEff

I thought govt. employees were paid by our taxes. I would doubt that the fees collected through submission of immigration forms are enough to cover their salaries and benefits.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Sep 1st 2009 at 4:19 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Frustrating. Damn straight it is.

You had your day of anger and got it out of your system (I hope) now complete the forms again and dispatch by registered return receipt requested mail or some such method that generates receipt and go from there.
You're right, the anger is leaving... being replaced with some sadness, as well as a feeling of determination to get the darn thing done. (Speaking with my fiancee this morning helped too... ya gotta love the British and their sensibilities!)

I have another question, but I will create a new thread in a bit, as it is really not related to this topic.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I thought govt. employees were paid by our taxes.
Mostly true... but not for immigration. Why? Because, by and large, US citizens have no need for immigration services.

I would doubt that the fees collected through submission of immigration forms are enough to cover their salaries and benefits.
You probably weren't around a few years ago when USCIS imposed a *massive* price hike for their application fees... summer of 2007, IIRC. They had finally determined that the fees weren't high enough to cover their costs. My wife and I completed the entire immigration journey from K-1 to Naturalization for under $750... including the cost of fees, medicals, and other expenses.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 1st 2009 at 4:44 pm. Reason: Where's the coffee?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right, the anger is leaving... being replaced with some sadness, as well as a feeling of determination to get the darn thing done. (Speaking with my fiancee this morning helped too... ya gotta love the British and their sensibilities!)

I have another question, but I will create a new thread in a bit, as it is really not related to this topic.
Hi:

I'm glad you are getting the anger out. Practice of immigration law is often an exercise in anger management on the part of the attorney!

However, I will admit to being amused due to a fairly recent thread here -- Michigan US Citizen with a Welsh husband who was turned down for an immigrant visa in London based upon answers he [either gave or the physician says he gave] during the examination. It seems to be the Welshman who is most adamant on insisting "it just ain't right" -- and it is getting in the way. Several of the responders here and myself also noted their anger was getting in the way -- to no avail, alas. Also, my feeling [just a feeling] was that each spouse's anger was feeding the others.

Bottom line, you are a "piece of cake." You get angry and then deal with it. Your beloved has helped you. I think that is a good sign for your marriage.

Good luck.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:02 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With all due respect, it sounds as though you don't have the temperment to have "a job like that". You're mad at USCIS because *you* made a mistake - but it is *not* their job to fix your mistakes.

Ian
When an attorney is acting as the petitioner’s representative, it is the attorney’s job to fix the mistake before the case is ever submitted. Doing the job correctly from the outset is good practice. But that’s the road not taken, and I wish the OP the best of luck.

But let’s add something more than just “luck” to his next filing. Do not submit immigration forms that are photocopies or scans of forms that contain a photocopy or scan of a signature. Submit the actual form that contains the original signature. Also you now know you need to submit all of your divorce decrees. Just to add a bit of “non-luck”, make sure they are both “final” decrees. Not sure where your divorces occurred, but you should be able to call the court that issued the decree and perhaps talk to a clerk who might be able to help you feel more confident that the decree is indeed a final decree (Do you see the word “nisi” on either of the decrees?). Oh, and it helps if the judge has actually signed the decree. I had that issue come up a few months ago. Turns out (when we checked it out before filing the I-129f petition) that the client’s divorce was not final at all.

There are “a lot” of little details that need to be taken into account with a typical case. Again, good luck.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Sep 1st 2009 at 5:08 pm.