Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:08 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

I really need part 3!!!

Keep writing... Pleeaaassee!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
I really need part 3!!!

Keep writing... Pleeaaassee!
it's my last day at work today so I'll get on to part 3 very soon

xx
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:26 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping everyone waiting what a show woman

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
it's my last day at work today so I'll get on to part 3 very soon

xx
Old Nov 24th 2007, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, we're all waiting!! It's a fab story!
Old Nov 25th 2007, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Part 3

Finding a job as a teacher in Australia is nowhere near as easy as finding a teaching job in England. I was a little surprised at the lack of information given to explain how it all worked and I spent the first 4/5 months feeling my way through it all. I really regretted not travelling with all the documentation as I had to wait for it all to come of the boat before I could do very much. I’ve written down my experiences on this in the teaching forum and have also included a little video of what to take with you.

The OH was fine as he was still working for the UK and having his UK wage meant that the pressure wasn’t so great for me to find work. However, going from a high paced job in a High School to sitting down and twiddling my thumbs was a bit of a culture shock!! I hated it! :curse:I also realised that teaching had really taken over my life. Stepping out of it makes you realise how much time it took up and how much work had taken over far too much of my life! As much as I love my job I have not missed working all hours under the sun (and sometimes the moon) to get the planning and marking done etc.

It was also a really great career move in terms of allowing me time to develop my own skills. Being away from the classroom has meant that I have been able to develop my own areas of PD interest. I’ve even started to write a book about my biggest passion Interactive Whiteboards. I ended up starting my own business out here training teachers how to use this wonderful technology.

I have to say (and I don’t mean to worry any parents) that I was shocked to discover how little structure there is in schools. I know of one parent (who was also a British teacher before moving here 4 years ago) who was paying for her son to go to a private school and still the teachers don’t plan lessons. They don’t feel they need to, and as such the lessons can sometimes be a little old fashioned in style. There are also a lot of teachers from the older generation; that’s why there’s a shortage as they are all starting to retire. I have had the pleasure to work with some very revolutionary teachers but the students in my classes at home know what level they are, know why they’re that level, understand how to improve etc. I don’t see much of that in Aussie schools. You’ll have to decided whether or not that’s a good thing! I do know Interactive Whiteboards are just starting to be used in SA schools and I think that their use will start to create a bit of a change as the entire nature of the board requires planning as you created resources to run for the lesson. That is of course if it’s not being used to surf the net for 30 mins lol. :curse: The arrival of new, younger teachers should start to refresh the system very soon

I do know that some teachers struggle with the idea that students don’t see an exam paper until they are in year 10 and so are not prepared for them. (that’s a little different to our testing every keystage) there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

It is important to note that I have visited lots of primary schools and all the students seem very happy. I love the fact that they spend a lot of time outdoors and that they have lovely areas of shade from sails or pergodas to hang out in. I don’t have children of my own yet but I think Adelaide would be a brilliant place to bring some up  Who wouldn’t want their children growing up in such a beautiful place?

I can’t believe that the year is over ( I have 10 days left) and that we have to go home. The first 6 months were really hard, infact I am sure there is a post on this very forum somewhere where I vent my dispair and say I need to go home. There were several moments when I felt like that. It is really hard relocating and no matter how hard you prepare yourself it WILL be a shock. I had to get to grips with the slower pace, the lack of pressure at work etc. Even the way things look and smell. It sounds daft but all these bungalows, and dry patches of what used to be grass seemed so alien and uninviting for a long time. Despite the beauty and the warm weather it was very clear I wasn’t ‘at home’. I think the hardest part for me was being in a place where everything is nearly like home. You just start to feel comfy and then bizairre things happen. I’ll never forget opening my letter box to discover a redback looking at me. The day I found a lizard under the sofa, the huntsmen on the balcony, the skink crossing the road outside, the green parrots that live in the trees. (The birds don’t twitter here they sqaurk like something out of jurassic park lol)

I had absolutly no reason to leave England and I was perfectly happy there and that was why this was the best thing I ever did. I have allowed myself time to step out of the comfort zone away from family, friends and work colleagues and in doing so I have learnt so much about life, what’s important and myself. That’s what makes going back so scary. What if we get back and we have to go through the culture shock again? Fulltime teaching in a high pressure school, the greyness and darkness, less time with my OH.

I think Austrlia would be the perfect place for me if I could bring my bestmates and my family with me. It has been a little lonley to be honest. Ironically, it is only in the last month or so that we have started to make friends and be invited out. That may be down to several factors, one being me and my subconscious desire to not admit I was comfortable here and the other the fact that my OH continues to work for a company in the UK from home; he hasn’t got a set of work colleagues to call his own – poor thing.

Despite all the stereotypes or corked hats and barbeques Aussies keep themselves to themselves. I know one Expat who works with me at the college who has lived here for 4 years and doesn’t know any of her neighbours. I don’t know if that’s just the area she’s in or whether it’s bad luck but apart from our immediate neighbour none of the others have ever said hello.
They’re really friendly in shops etc but no one ever comes round for a cup of tea in our neck of the woods and going from a busy social life where you’re trying to make sure you visit everyone at the weekend to no friends apart from each other can be hard.

Saturday and Sunday nights are SKYPE nights anyway lol as that’s when the rellies and mates call from the UK – it’s the only time we match in time zone for longer than 30 mins!!lol

For anyone who is considering moving I would say DO IT! If it all seems to much to say forever then don’t say it! Just come and see how you feel. Go with the flow. Just promise yourself that you will stick it out for longer than 8 months…. Those first 6 are the hardest and once you get past them the rest of it comes easily. I love living in Australia and with our PRvisa I think we’ll be back one day. Maybe with a couple of children 

For those who want to see pics may I suggest you have good nose through my FLICKR?

www.flickr.com/mochinbach

There are loads of shots there of our adventures

I am always happy to answer any questions and if you're having meet ups in brum in the new year let us know and we'll come down and tell you all about it In the meantime we're focusing on all the lovely things that will happen in 08 like weddings, an new houses and family and friends. I think the important thing that we have learnt is to take it as it comes... we're young (27) and have a whole heap of life ahead so no pressures... we can come back anytime and now we've done it once we'll have a better understanding of what to expect if/when we do

Last edited by Mochinbach; Nov 25th 2007 at 3:56 am.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:05 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Wow, what a great experience so far..well done.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 2:04 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a brilliant post thank you for taking the time.

I'd love to have met up with you in Brum! But I'll be over there when you get back here
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

thesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mochinbach,

What a brilliant read! Thanks for taking the time in putting down all your thoughts, feelings and experiences. It sounds as though you have been on a tremendous journey both mentally and physically. All the best on your return to the uk and with your future plans.

Please keep in touch!

Teresa
x
Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:58 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

part 1, loved it - bloody hell she cant leave it like that
part 2 , loved it - thats right create enough interest and then leave us dangling again
part 3, loved it, especially the way you add neat pictures.
good luck
bec
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Mochinbach. It was well worth the wait!

I hope your wedding and your new(ish) life back in Brum go well. I suspect you may now have Adelaide sunshine flowing in your veins and will find it a little nippy!

I will be using your update as a reference from now on for our move to Adelaide. So I want to give you a big

THANK YOU!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

cas3 is on a distinguished road

Hi Linloo...arriving in Adelaide in February...can't wait. Hopefully we'll meet on the beach..i have two Golden Retrievers. Three weeks holiday accomodation booked..biggest worry at mo is finding a six/twelve month pet friendly rental when my holiday rental finishes. Coming alone..gulp!!! Any tips..help very very welcome
Caroline
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:26 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

That was a clas read........i really cnt wait to get out there in April sounds like a very lush place to live.

thank you for the insight into what seems to be a lovely city........i have a friend who has lived there for 12 years and he says the same as you have written.

Last edited by Katsmajics other half !!!; Dec 9th 2007 at 8:29 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 10th 2007, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

Despite all the stereotypes or corked hats and barbeques Aussies keep themselves to themselves. I know one Expat who works with me at the college who has lived here for 4 years and doesn’t know any of her neighbours. I don’t know if that’s just the area she’s in or whether it’s bad luck but apart from our immediate neighbour none of the others have ever said hello.
Maybe it's the area? We didn't wait for our neighbours to introduce themselves we went around and introduced ourselves to the neighbours! One side are working all the hours and we never see them anyway, and the other side we have to allow extra time since when we go over there we're always there chatting for hours.

I know I've been lonely at times since I work from home, but I've really made an effort to go out and meet people and especially coming up to Christmas we've been invited out quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing! They have been great posts!

Regards,
Karen
Old Jan 19th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm back in the UK. I have been since early December and it's dark (I have to have the light son at 12 midday,) it's done NOTHING but rain/sleet, It's impossible to find a house with any semblence of a decent garden in a nice area for 250,00 ( because I have to spend 3% stamp duty on top of that if I want to pay anymore for a house), work is too busy (lol) and all I want to do is walk along the beach outside my old house, have a tasty Late from my fav cafe and got to the Marion to watch a film whilst slurrping on a frozen coke.

Now i'm home... I AM a whinging POM!

ARGGGhhhhh
LMAO
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

I'm back in the UK. I have been since early December and it's dark (I have to have the light son at 12 midday,) it's done NOTHING but rain/sleet, It's impossible to find a house with any semblence of a decent garden in a nice area for 250,00 ( because I have to spend 3% stamp duty on top of that if I want to pay anymore for a house), work is too busy (lol) and all I want to do is walk along the beach outside my old house, have a tasty Late from my fav cafe and got to the Marion to watch a film whilst slurrping on a frozen coke.

Now i'm home... I AM a whinging POM!

ARGGGhhhhh
LMAO
Great Read, will be good to follow your next 12mths back in the uk, to compare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.