Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

GReat read chick, does Paul really have a false leg?

Pt.2 please and thanks for sharing its fab! xx S-j xx
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesmiths
Hi Linloo,

I bet that was pretty amazing seeing the koala. How cool!

We are currently applying for a GSM 175 (PR) and are hoping to move to Adelaide once we, fingers crossed, get the visa. Hope you don't mind me asking but was wondering how you are finding Adelaide. We have close friends in Aldinga Beach so was perhaps looking to settle somewhere along the Fleurieu Peninsula but not too far from the city. Do you know the area? Any info would be really appreciated.

Cheers Teresa

Aldinga Beach is about 20 - 25 miles away from the city. I live about 12 miles away and it takes me approx 40 - 50 minutes to get there, so at a guess it would be at least an hour and half away to 2 hours away.

It depends what you want to be near the city for? If it's for work, then I'd say unless you really like commuting it would be way too far away. But if it's just for the odd shopping trip - you'd probably find shopping centres closer that would do you just as well.

After saying that though, there are people who travel that far to work every day and think nothing of it.

Maybe take a look at Google maps to get some idea of other area's and then weigh up which ones would be best for you to take a look at. http://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Aldinga Beach is about 20 - 25 miles away from the city. I live about 12 miles away and it takes me approx 40 - 50 minutes to get there, so at a guess it would be at least an hour and half away to 2 hours away.

It depends what you want to be near the city for? If it's for work, then I'd say unless you really like commuting it would be way too far away. But if it's just for the odd shopping trip - you'd probably find shopping centres closer that would do you just as well.

After saying that though, there are people who travel that far to work every day and think nothing of it.

Maybe take a look at Google maps to get some idea of other area's and then weigh up which ones would be best for you to take a look at. http://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
We spent our first weeks in Aldinga Beach. Public transit into the city takes about 2 hours. 1.25 on the bus from Aldinga Beach to Noarlunga and then .75 on the train. The drive is very nice, but again well over an hour-hour & half each way.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year in Hindsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Part 2

When we first moved in to our house my first priority was to unpack my rucksack for the final time ( I was SOOO fed up of packing!!) and threw it on the highest shelf in the wardrobe. Our stuff was still not in the country (we didn’t send it early enough really) so I still only had about 8 outfits… Arghh. I had to go and look for work so I needed something to wear. Was very happy to discover I could get a 3 piece suit for just over $100 (£40) from “Katies” and that whilst I was paying around £45 a dress in England I was paying $45 dollar in Australia!! SHOPPING HEAVEN!

The OH needed to get back to work so we hunted around for broadband. Was surprised (and a little annoyed) to discover that broadband is ALL capped out here. As he was going to be working from Adelaide for the firm back in the UK we needed a lot of bandwidth and so we went with “Internode” with one of their high end packages. Thankfully the company were picking up the bill but we now have a 90G download limit a month ( A little over the top in hindsight ! lol) It’s ADSL not Cable which meant we also had to buy a new router ( we’d have had to have done this anyway as ours was still in the boat!) The other problem was that we shipped his laptop so we had to go and buy a computer as well. A top of the range computer with a lot of memory etc seemed to cost about the same as it would have in the UK. So no problems there.

Once we were set up we also ensured that we had SKYPE installed. This has saved us a fortune and made being away a lot easier. I can talk to my family for free and see them (as they can see us) on the webcam. It’s great! We also have a SKYPE in number. It’s a local b’ham UK number that our relies and friends can dial from the UK. They get charged the standard rate for a call to b’ham and they get put through to us in Australia! Perfect for all those without broadband/skype.

Living by the sea is amazing. The sound of the sea sends me to sleep every night and the constant sunshine is also a real plus. I think we’ve seen 3 weeks worth of rain the entire time we’ve been out here. Most websites say the average temperature in Adelaide is about 25 in Summer well it’s been 35 for the last week here and it’s spring so I’m wondering if that’s a little out of date. My work mates reckon it’s not unusual for it to be in the late 30s and that was certainly our experience during the summer.

One thing that was harder was the winter months. The temperature never really dropped below about 15 in the day but the lack of central heating meant that we ended up buying little electric heaters for our bedrooms to keep us warm at night. We must have just got used to the warmth!! (god knows how we’ll cope in the UK again!)

Adelaide itself is lovely. As others have said the city center itself is a giant 2km square and it has a brilliant tram system and free bus to get you from one corner to another. We now have our favourite places for coffee and have become a little addicted to the Chai Latte at Coffee and Cream in the City Cross center! The food halls have impressed my OH emmensly. I wish there were more of these in the UK. It’s so good to be able to just go to one place and have the choice of about 15 restaurants. So easy if you have picky eaters in the family or you both fancy something different to each other!

The city also has some really good cultural aspects like the FREE museum, the festival center, the central market and some great “hotels” – which seems to be what most pubs are. Who have live music. There’s a cracking English pub in the east side of the city that serves proper pints. You will find that the Aussie perception of a pint is 475ml a real pint (as you all know ) is 568! My OH has been extensively testing local beers. He enjoys them but says they are quite samey. There are some different tpyes (stout, lager, pale ale) but there isn’t quite the same variety as there is back home. He seems to drink Cascade and Boags most.  He also loves “Little Creatures” when he can get hold of it

I’ve been trying to explain to him that that’s because he is one of the most tasty wine regions in the world!! I drank a fair few bottles of wine in the UK that I though were good. But OMG was I wrong. I drank rubbish!!! A couple of trips to the Mclaren Vale and the Barrossa with free wine tastings and explanations on how to taste them really help you to understand wine. I would thoroughly recommed the Cellar Door Pass which gets you into special ‘backstage’ style tastings and cellar tours. I’m still no expert but I can tell you my exact tastes now…. 2004 is my favourite year (the year with drought and then a heavy rainfall at just the righr moment = tasty grapes) I love CAB SAV and I prefer it to be oaked in FRENCH oak (American oak just doesn’t let as much flavour of oak through for me!) LMAO My friends will be shocked when I get back!! PLUS….. I now know that Jacobs Creek, Hardys and the other big names produce, in my opinion, some rubbish!! Try Foggos in the Mclaren Vale. I have bought 38 bottles of the sparkling cincaut rose for our wedding when we return. Kirrihills yummy chardonnays and plummy cabsavs… mmmm… I’m gonna miss these wines. I think Kerrihill calls themselves Lizards of Oz in tescos. But they admit that they don’t send the good stuff out because of the tax etc. The best stuff seems to come from smaller, family owned and run wineries. Millers Lane is also an excellent winery.  The Vale is only 30 mins from my house and the Barossa an hour so it’s always more than reasonable to pop out for lunch in the hills and vineyards and come back with a couple of good bottles.

Of course you can also get wines and other alcoholic beverages from one of the many drive through offies!! Drive through! Can you imagine that happening in the UK? It’s crazy! But fun! The first time we went to our local BWS we were so confused that we parked the car first and walked in!! didn’t feel right being able to drive to pick up alcohol.

There is a very different attitude to alcohol in Australia than in the UK. You won’t find rows of pubs outside of the city center. And I have never seen anything that resembles Broad Street on a Friday night. Frankly, you just don’t want a hang over in 37 degree heat. It hurts a hell of a lot more! Aussie culture has higher expectations of it’s inhabitants. You go to local national parks where you’re asked to place your entrance fee money in an envelope and leave it in a wooden box (this is the pay station at Flinders Park). No one expects you not to pay or for someone to steal the box. There are also signs in car parks reminding you to lock your doors. I’m not sayinf that crimes don’t happen but Adelaide doesn’t seem to have much crime in it at all!! Contrary to some of the posts I’ve read recently, I’ve not heard of any murders. There was a rape in a park last week and I think that’s the most awful thing I’ve heard of. Having said that the Hells Angels are often on the news. I’ve never seen them but they’re around. Let’s just say I feel safe walking around on my own at night and that’s a nice feeling. It’s important to remember that SA is bigger than the UK and that the population of the Entire State is less than the population of Birmingham. There’s plenty of space and plenty of different towns with different lifestyles. I think that’s why it suits so many. The beach, the hills, the country, the ranges, the outback – where do you want to live? You can find them all in SA.

Last edited by Mochinbach; Nov 18th 2007 at 12:06 am. Reason: links and spellings
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

This has been brilliant to read As a new comer to Adelaide, you have given me so many ideas and you described the wines fantastically, I am sat here salivating
Old Nov 18th 2007, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

thesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mochinbach,

What a great read! We are hoping to move to Adelaide once we get our visa (fingers crossed) and after reading your posts it makes us even more determined!

Thanks again,

Teresa
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

thesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by linloo
We live in a place called Blackwood, which I have to say we didnt really investigate on our reccie trip, but once found, fell in love with the place. its about 30-40 mins to city and about 20mins to beach (all depends on traffic lights!) Blackwood has a really nice feel about it, family orientated and lots of little shops, It also has stores such as Coles, foodland, and woolworths for food shops. It has all the usual dentists, doctors and vets. There are gyms, fitness centres, takeaways cafes and a fantastic restaurant "Windy Point" a couple of miles away. There is a bar down the road in Belair, but I have only been in there a couple of times I have no kids, but my neighbors inform me that the schools are very good.I get Koalas in the trees out the front and blue tounge lizards sun baking on the drive, and I couldnt be happier. I have just found myself a job in Blackwood, which is ideal I love the idea of walking to work. Marion is the big shopping mall about 10mins away, it also has more bars and multiplex cinema. Also approx 10-15 mins away is Flinders hospital and University. So I have to say like most places in Adelaide you have everything you need on your doorstep and a short drive away. The housing prices are not to bad either, just depends what your looking for. Well I hope this helps, anything else just ask. Only got over here in June ourselves, so very much still finding our feet. But loving it all so far. I dont know to much about Aldinga and upwards just go along to the beaches that way, some of the housing looks fantastic, but I am very much sure out of our price range!!
Hi Linloo,

Thanks for all the information. Where you live sounds ideal! I think we will research other suburbs and definitely check Blackwood out!

Its great to hear that its all working out for you.

Thanks again,

Teresa
x
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy

Thanks Wendy and Dorothy. There is a possibility that my hubby will be working in the city and the distance/times from Aldinga may be too much each day. Will keep on researching....

Cheers guys,

Teresa
x
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Looking forward to the rest of your tale Mochinbach as we also moved from Birmingham to Adelaide - luckily for us (IOO) we don't have to go back though!

Oh and we also chose to live in the Blackwood area!

Nikki
x
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

I love it over in the corromandel bit. I've done some work in a couple of the primary schools there and it's always a lovely drive

Anyone know why my pics aren't working??

I'll write some more soon
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
I love it over in the corromandel bit. I've done some work in a couple of the primary schools there and it's always a lovely drive

Anyone know why my pics aren't working??

I'll write some more soon
They appear when you click on them so it's fine. It's a good read for me having no interest in Adelaide, must be great for those planning on moving out there.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:11 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Thx for sharing with us.

Your pics' are working just fine, you just need to click the links.

Part 3 next...
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:33 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.
Thats a great insight, thank you for sharing.
I sooo cant wait to get out there.
xx
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of
Smile Re: A year in Hindsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

What a brilliant read, we are arriving in Adelaide on the 19th Jan and after reading this i just cant wait to get there.
Bring on all that lovely wine
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Keep telling your story its a good read. Thanks for sharing. Will you be going back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.