Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old May 31st 2008, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

nina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Just wanted to say that I used the company the the OP suggested for rentals when I went on a reccy to Brisbane nearly 2 years ago. Yes they are expensive, but I balanced that against the cost of finding hotels for the 8 of us and reckoned that it was cheaper and gave us a better chance to get a feel for the neigbourhood.

If you need to go and see OZ before making your decision or have to all make landing to validate then it is a good option!
Old May 31st 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1jemma1
What has put us off living in Melborne is the weather - its too unpredictable and one of the main reasons for the move is to get better weather which allows you to live a better quality of life i think.
Jemma
What do you mean by unpredictable? We have seasonal weather - but it is far, far superior than anything the UK can offer.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all

Hi thanks for your reply its great getting information from someone whos there living in Brisbane, its so helpful so thanks.
How long have you been living in Brisbane for now? Would you say you have no regretts about making the move? I've heard mixed comments on Brisbanes weather, whats it really like?

Another quick question - TV - does anyone know, are you able to purchase anysort of Sky box out there which would enable you to watch UK TV and get channels like ITV over there??

Thanks
Jemma
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.

Hi Kathymarie,

What a fantastic post! We're in the process of getting our Australian visa arranged, and Brisbane is our first choice city. We're trying to figure out what we could realistically afford in terms of cars and rented accommodation, and where in Brisbane we could settle. Could you please pm me the details of the car place and rental agency you recommended in your post? I'm new to this site so couldn't pm you directly unfortunately!

Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your reply its great getting information from someone whos there living in Brisbane, its so helpful so thanks.
How long have you been living in Brisbane for now? Would you say you have no regretts about making the move? I've heard mixed comments on Brisbanes weather, whats it really like?

Another quick question - TV - does anyone know, are you able to purchase anysort of Sky box out there which would enable you to watch UK TV and get channels like ITV over there??

Thanks
Jemma
Jemma do you mean me? I dont live in Brisbane, I'm on Sunshine Coast, just over an hour North of Brissie. x S-j

But answer is, you can get Foxtel or Austar my mate has Foxtel for $60 ish a month and she gets Eastenders, Corre & Emmerdale . I dont have either as not that desperate to watch em . You can buy a PVR which is HD freeview and a Hard drive. pause live tv etc. from $580 or SD from around $380 these are good as no contracts and just gives you a bit extra. Get Spooks and Silent witness etc.

If you look at the TV guides for QLD online you'll see what you get there. on the HD PVR you get 7, 10, SBS (sport, some Man U games), ABC, WIN, 9. Thats more than enough for me.. Dont watch too much UK tv, you might get homesick, a few friends have of mine.. not sure how though

S-j
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all

Thanks S-j i will def look into those options now.

Another question though, my husband works in management in the gas industry and has been applying online now for quite afew months to get a job out there. If we were to come over without him secruring a job before hand, what do you think would be the chances of him getting a job in that area once we get there. Do you think it would take long?

Thanks
Jemma
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks S-j i will def look into those options now.

Another question though, my husband works in management in the gas industry and has been applying online now for quite afew months to get a job out there. If we were to come over without him secruring a job before hand, what do you think would be the chances of him getting a job in that area once we get there. Do you think it would take long?

Thanks
Jemma
Gas Industry.. Not sure mate, try seek.. or google companies in the area and apply direct to them with resume, takes a while to get the answers though. We just had one reply back from about 5mths ago! Qld is definately the laid back state. Construction i could've helped with. x
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

ok, well thanks anayway.

If anyone else out there has any idea it would be good to know.
Thanks
Jemma
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

does your husband work with medical gases lpg etc ? if so try Linde/BOC. good luck with him finding a job to come to.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:35 am
Just Joined

italyrulz is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe this was spam...it does sound too good to be true but some people are more positive than others. I have lived in France, England, China, Africa, the islands and NZ...this is my last pit stop for a while as my children are in high school now and need to settle for the long haul. Something hard for me to do as I am a traveller by nature.

I have been in the Brisbane area for a year and a half now and can honestly say I feel settled. Shock not only to me but all those who know me. I live in North Lakes which is a great place for families. It has its own shopping mall, police beat, hospital being built and all the necessaries like gyms, sporting areas, parks and pool. It also has two state schools and a private school and many others around the area. It is green, attractive, and has lakes, a magnificent golf course for those interested...unlike me...and it is very quiet for the most part as there are no goods trucks etc. that travel through the residential areas. This means my kids just bike around without me worrying at all. I can't say that it is a very warm community as knowing your neighbours in this day and age is a thing of the past but if you make the effort yourself the rewards pay off. They are certainly not hostile! I really enjoy living here because everything is at my doorstep but it is so quiet and relaxing. Brisbane is only 25 minutes away - that is non peak hour...and the beach 8 minutes away in Redcliffe and a little further up the Coast there is Bribie island. You are only an hour to the sunshine coast (80km) and one and half to the Gold coast. It really is an ideal location.

My problem with the area is the housing which is all modern, open planned layouts with little space between you and your neighbour but that seems to be the way of the world nowadays. If you want colonial type housing with wooden floors then you are better off going closer to Brisbane or in the areas directly around North Lakes where you can either build your own or have larger land packages. However, as a mum...the convenience of having everything in one small area, the peaceful and safe environment outweighs the housing issue while my kids are at school anyway. It really is nice here...carols and outdoor films by the lake for free, and a plethora of activities and groups.

As far as schooling is concerned; I would go private if you can afford the schooling as the QLD education system is not as good as I have witnessed elsewhere and as I said I have been around the world and I am a teacher so have insights to what really goes on.

Anyway, if anyone out there is looking for unbiased info if you are thinking of moving out here then I would be pleased to help if I can. If you are a tradie and like to work then jobs are not so difficult to find...not sure about other employment.

Loving it in Brissy!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:21 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by italyrulz
Maybe this was spam...it does sound too good to be true but some people are more positive than others. I have lived in France, England, China, Africa, the islands and NZ...this is my last pit stop for a while as my children are in high school now and need to settle for the long haul. Something hard for me to do as I am a traveller by nature.

I have been in the Brisbane area for a year and a half now and can honestly say I feel settled. Shock not only to me but all those who know me. I live in North Lakes which is a great place for families. It has its own shopping mall, police beat, hospital being built and all the necessaries like gyms, sporting areas, parks and pool. It also has two state schools and a private school and many others around the area. It is green, attractive, and has lakes, a magnificent golf course for those interested...unlike me...and it is very quiet for the most part as there are no goods trucks etc. that travel through the residential areas. This means my kids just bike around without me worrying at all. I can't say that it is a very warm community as knowing your neighbours in this day and age is a thing of the past but if you make the effort yourself the rewards pay off. They are certainly not hostile! I really enjoy living here because everything is at my doorstep but it is so quiet and relaxing. Brisbane is only 25 minutes away - that is non peak hour...and the beach 8 minutes away in Redcliffe and a little further up the Coast there is Bribie island. You are only an hour to the sunshine coast (80km) and one and half to the Gold coast. It really is an ideal location.

My problem with the area is the housing which is all modern, open planned layouts with little space between you and your neighbour but that seems to be the way of the world nowadays. If you want colonial type housing with wooden floors then you are better off going closer to Brisbane or in the areas directly around North Lakes where you can either build your own or have larger land packages. However, as a mum...the convenience of having everything in one small area, the peaceful and safe environment outweighs the housing issue while my kids are at school anyway. It really is nice here...carols and outdoor films by the lake for free, and a plethora of activities and groups.

As far as schooling is concerned; I would go private if you can afford the schooling as the QLD education system is not as good as I have witnessed elsewhere and as I said I have been around the world and I am a teacher so have insights to what really goes on.

Anyway, if anyone out there is looking for unbiased info if you are thinking of moving out here then I would be pleased to help if I can. If you are a tradie and like to work then jobs are not so difficult to find...not sure about other employment.

Loving it in Brissy!

Hey!
Just a quick point.We have been in Brisbane for nearly 2 years now and both our kids go to a local state school.It is fantastic and ,in fact,I feel my kids get better all round education here than they did in the UK.Its just a matter of looking around(just like anywhere really).Not all areas are zoned and so its possible to have a choice of good local schools.
Andrea x
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:34 am
Just Joined

italyrulz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
Hey!
Just a quick point.We have been in Brisbane for nearly 2 years now and both our kids go to a local state school.It is fantastic and ,in fact,I feel my kids get better all round education here than they did in the UK.Its just a matter of looking around(just like anywhere really).Not all areas are zoned and so its possible to have a choice of good local schools.
Andrea x
Sorry...wasn't slamming the state schools but yes as everywhere I have seen some shockers. I still genuinely feel from an inside perspective that the private sector is better here. Most state schools are more than adequate but you get more attention and less disruption within the private. My personal stance on private is that is not necessary until children hit 10 -12 years old when self management becomes essential anyway.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:24 am
Just Joined

MayC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hee-Hee

Even though I am not British, I am in the process of moving to Brisbane and found this thread on the internet.

Thanks for all the info!