Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

We've passed the two year mark!

We've passed the two year mark!

Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:58 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default We've passed the two year mark!

Hello All

Just back on the site after being away for a bit. BE seemed to be getting a bit silly and me, well I was just getting on with life.

I feel that I have had quite a journey over the last two years, with a fair balance of good and bad stuff, most of it emotional. I really feel for those that suffer a sense of loss when they do finally get to where they thought they wanted to be...been there.

I was not sure why we should come to Australia as we were pretty content at home, secure, good jobs and terrific friends and family. We knew that we were bored and wanted a change and truthfully I feel that I was heavily influenced by my husband and other people telling me how shit the UK was and if we could leave, we should. Shallow and ill-thought out...probably.

For those that know me and my story, cue massive chronic depression (if you are bored I am sure that you can find my six months and 1 year updates). Truthfully, for those that are struggling to make sense of their lives right now and might want to project two years forward, it might not be too bad an idea. I made it through with the support of my OH and a random bunch of in the flesh friends and BE buds that thought enough of me to keep me going.

Two years on, we still live in Melbourne. We have a large house, still the one child and now an Australian dog. We are probably better off here and better paid but I feel more insecure in terms of wealth, the future and my career. Emigrating when we did and the battle to re-establish ourselves has pretty much put paid to any thoughts of continuing to try for a much wanted second child. Lots of sadness about that.

My parents visit for two months every year nad my MIL and FIL will be trying for contributary visa status imminently. I have found friends, lost friends and drifted through friendships. It is hard here, people have established friendships and lives already and the friends and family you think will remain often don't. Conversely, you can become better friends with those you thought were mere aquaintances.

I do feel lonely and sometimes regret this journey but I feel that in the sense of a personal journey that continues, I have achieved more depth as a person for doing this than if I had remained at home. It is still hard. I work fulltime, have a long train journey and miss my son's growing but this is due to wanting to start where I left off at home. I look forward to a few months time where I can be settled enough to reduce my hours.

I enjoy living in Australia. I find a lack of hostility here and a hopefulness. I find people to be open, friendly and caring but not always mindful to keep in touch. The food is good, the supermarket choice could be better. I generally feel very safe except in the back of an terribly driven Melbourne taxi. Public transport is fair to middling at best. The Australian command of driving is not so great. The Yarra Valley until recently was a place to make your heart sing.

Northernbird, Casg and Carl, RugbyMatt, Aston and Sonly are a few of the many friends on here that have helped me through some dark days indeed. NB in particular gave me the advice that it's one day at a time and it is. (I'm off to sing along with my Lena Martell and Sidney Devine records as we speak). Last words on this are these - this is a forum, you have no idea how tough someone might be having it, so be kind if you can, it does not take a lot of effort and might mean a lot.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 2:22 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've passed the two year mark!

PS should be 'we've past the two year mark' but you can't edit titles. Pah! That's going to annoy me.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 2:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hello All

Just back on the site after being away for a bit. BE seemed to be getting a bit silly and me, well I was just getting on with life.

I feel that I have had quite a journey over the last two years, with a fair balance of good and bad stuff, most of it emotional. I really feel for those that suffer a sense of loss when they do finally get to where they thought they wanted to be...been there.

I was not sure why we should come to Australia as we were pretty content at home, secure, good jobs and terrific friends and family. We knew that we were bored and wanted a change and truthfully I feel that I was heavily influenced by my husband and other people telling me how shit the UK was and if we could leave, we should. Shallow and ill-thought out...probably.

For those that know me and my story, cue massive chronic depression (if you are bored I am sure that you can find my six months and 1 year updates). Truthfully, for those that are struggling to make sense of their lives right now and might want to project two years forward, it might not be too bad an idea. I made it through with the support of my OH and a random bunch of in the flesh friends and BE buds that thought enough of me to keep me going.

Two years on, we still live in Melbourne. We have a large house, still the one child and now an Australian dog. We are probably better off here and better paid but I feel more insecure in terms of wealth, the future and my career. Emigrating when we did and the battle to re-establish ourselves has pretty much put paid to any thoughts of continuing to try for a much wanted second child. Lots of sadness about that.

My parents visit for two months every year nad my MIL and FIL will be trying for contributary visa status imminently. I have found friends, lost friends and drifted through friendships. It is hard here, people have established friendships and lives already and the friends and family you think will remain often don't. Conversely, you can become better friends with those you thought were mere aquaintances.

I do feel lonely and sometimes regret this journey but I feel that in the sense of a personal journey that continues, I have achieved more depth as a person for doing this than if I had remained at home. It is still hard. I work fulltime, have a long train journey and miss my son's growing but this is due to wanting to start where I left off at home. I look forward to a few months time where I can be settled enough to reduce my hours.

I enjoy living in Australia. I find a lack of hostility here and a hopefulness. I find people to be open, friendly and caring but not always mindful to keep in touch. The food is good, the supermarket choice could be better. I generally feel very safe except in the back of an terribly driven Melbourne taxi. Public transport is fair to middling at best. The Australian command of driving is not so great. The Yarra Valley until recently was a place to make your heart sing.

Northernbird, Casg and Carl, RugbyMatt, Aston and Sonly are a few of the many friends on here that have helped me through some dark days indeed. NB in particular gave me the advice that it's one day at a time and it is. (I'm off to sing along with my Lena Martell and Sidney Devine records as we speak). Last words on this are these - this is a forum, you have no idea how tough someone might be having it, so be kind if you can, it does not take a lot of effort and might mean a lot.
Nobody deserves happiness more than you N. I am glad that things seem to be getting there for you. All my love Carole xxx
Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:07 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

A well written post that, confirming the realities.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:14 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update Glad to hear things are back on track for you.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower

A well written post that, confirming the realities.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself. It is a difficult journey for many.

Well done BB for sticking with it
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:53 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
A well written post that, confirming the realities.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It is a difficult journey for many.

Well done BB for sticking with it[/QUOTE]

And well done to you too SallyClaire. You've had your fair share of ups and downs too.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:57 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Fabby post soul sister

If anyone can come through the darkest of days you can! You've been an inspiration and given help as well as received it. The fact you've come through the other end is a testiment to your character. You're a girl with balls

On a side note: Something you said rang very true about having to start again and people not keeping in touch.

I've met a few off this site, shared life stories and even had some stay. I genuinely care about them but what you said about starting again and feeling insecure in work is so true. We take for granted starting again in a new country will be hard, but nothing can prepare you for the emotional insecurity, paying bills, trying to keep a job, working hard and how knackering it is to start all over again and try to keep all the *plates* from wobbling. By the time we get a job, settle in..for whatever reason it's time to move on again and your back to square one settling down again. It can take years to really feel settled. How do we find the time to keep all the plates from wobbling when sometimes its so hard even to stand still:cry:

The reality is for quite a few years I think it's all about survival but somehow if you can come to terms with the massive change, you will find a way to do it. As each year passes you get stronger, learn something else about yourself and others and slowly start thinking "me time". Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

As they say, time is a healer

Great post kidda - you're a good egg N
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Fabby post soul sister

If anyone can come through the darkest of days you can! You've been an inspiration and given help as well as received it. The fact you've come through the other end is a testiment to your character. You're a girl with balls

On a side note: Something you said rang very true about having to start again and people not keeping in touch.

I've met a few off this site, shared life stories and even had some stay. I genuinely care about them but what you said about starting again and feeling insecure in work is so true. We take for granted starting again in a new country will be hard, but nothing can prepare you for the emotional insecurity, paying bills, trying to keep a job, working hard and how knackering it is to start all over again and try to keep all the *plates* from wobbling. By the time we get a job, settle in..for whatever reason it's time to move on again and your back to square one settling down again. It can take years to really feel settled. How do we find the time to keep all the plates from wobbling when sometimes its so hard even to stand still:cry:

The reality is for quite a few years I think it's all about survival but somehow if you can come to terms with the massive change, you will find a way to do it. As each year passes you get stronger, learn something else about yourself and others and slowly start thinking "me time". Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

As they say, time is a healer

Great post kidda - you're a good egg N
A 50% sense post!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:04 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
A 50% sense post!
Jeez....I'm normally a 2% er
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:08 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower

A well written post that, confirming the realities.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I am fast approaching two years, ups and downs, overall glad we did.

Your post was spot on, it seems the things you don't worry about when coming are the challenges your faced with.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Good update, glad to see you back.

Well done

Gems
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

fantastic update N, i can relate to it all
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ada07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant future

Interesting to read your update, I confess I did not know of your journey. As someone who has been here for 21 months and going through one of the ""lows"" at present with serious doubt creeping in, it was good to read of both negatives and postives from someone else's perspective. Personally it's not the country I have issues with just the bureaucracy!!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ada07
Interesting to read your update, I confess I did not know of your journey. As someone who has been here for 21 months and going through one of the ""lows"" at present with serious doubt creeping in, it was good to read of both negatives and postives from someone else's perspective. Personally it's not the country I have issues with just the bureaucracy!!
Don't you think that the UK is getting more & more like that though with it's nanny state attitude to everything? Not trying to do a UK v Aus thing, just not sure the grass is any greener!

Sorry you are feeling unsettled & hope that it's just a phase that will pass quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.