Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

We're loving Australia so far! Our update!

We're loving Australia so far! Our update!

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:09 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all
Default We're loving Australia so far! Our update!

We've been in Melbourne for just over 4 weeks and so far I think we made a good decision to emigrate!

We arrived via a stopover in Hong Kong (which I'd definitely recommend despite the horrible jetlag - what a fab city, loads to do and see and I'll definitely go back there) on 28th Nov and stayed with my husband's sister and her family for 2 weeks. We've found a rental in Rowville (not far from my sil) and have also bought a car. My h has been offered a job and starts 8th Jan.

I enrolled my 6.5 year old son in school and he's already done 3 weeks but has not broken up for the summer holidays. Bit strange as he was in prep (reception equivalent) for those 3 weeks and will be in grade 1 after Christmas but was already in Year 2 back in the UK. My 3 year old is going to 4 year old Kinder (she's 4 in April) - I'm still quite confused about the age/year/system here

It feels like we've been pretty busy! I think we're finally getting on top of all the medicare/banks/boring paperwork we've had to do and at last we're starting to feel a bit more festive though I still can't get used to seeing Xmas decorations up in the heat!

The only thing I'm not liking is the flies - gawd, constantly buzzing around my face and crawling over me - do you ever get used to it? And although of course I knew bushfires were a problem I didn't realise the extent of it - I had no idea (guess I'd never really thought about it) that you'd be able to smell the smoke here and the skies would be hazy...

Hope everyone has a fab Christmas and New Year! I'm excited about what our first year in Oz will bring (and a bit at the same time!)
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:16 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: We're loving Australia so far! Our update!

Welcome to Melbourne and hope you all have a fantastic 1st Christmas in Oz!!! This is our second xmas and we're still not used to the sun shining and the heat at this time of year. Mind you the temp for xmas day is supposed to be 16, so that is more of what we are used to in the UK!! All the best!

Lorraine
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:18 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
Welcome to Melbourne and hope you all have a fantastic 1st Christmas in Oz!!! This is our second xmas and we're still not used to the sun shining and the heat at this time of year. Mind you the temp for xmas day is supposed to be 16, so that is more of what we are used to in the UK!! All the best!

Lorraine
Thank you! I couldn't believe it when I looked at the forecast for Christmas day, especially when it was so hot on Thursday - have dug out a long sleeved top to wear
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:22 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

I know, we are gutted as we were hoping to be sitting by the pool sipping cocktails !!! Never mind inside now with the heating on instead!!!

Lorraine
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

This current fire season IS bad. It was 'bad' last year around New Year and there was no smoke that was mentionable in the city then.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:19 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Spikey
We've been in Melbourne for just over 4 weeks and so far I think we made a good decision to emigrate!

We arrived via a stopover in Hong Kong (which I'd definitely recommend despite the horrible jetlag - what a fab city, loads to do and see and I'll definitely go back there) on 28th Nov and stayed with my husband's sister and her family for 2 weeks. We've found a rental in Rowville (not far from my sil) and have also bought a car. My h has been offered a job and starts 8th Jan.

I enrolled my 6.5 year old son in school and he's already done 3 weeks but has not broken up for the summer holidays. Bit strange as he was in prep (reception equivalent) for those 3 weeks and will be in grade 1 after Christmas but was already in Year 2 back in the UK. My 3 year old is going to 4 year old Kinder (she's 4 in April) - I'm still quite confused about the age/year/system here

It feels like we've been pretty busy! I think we're finally getting on top of all the medicare/banks/boring paperwork we've had to do and at last we're starting to feel a bit more festive though I still can't get used to seeing Xmas decorations up in the heat!

The only thing I'm not liking is the flies - gawd, constantly buzzing around my face and crawling over me - do you ever get used to it? And although of course I knew bushfires were a problem I didn't realise the extent of it - I had no idea (guess I'd never really thought about it) that you'd be able to smell the smoke here and the skies would be hazy...

Hope everyone has a fab Christmas and New Year! I'm excited about what our first year in Oz will bring (and a bit at the same time!)
THe flies will be gone in 2 months. Their at their worse in late december and january then start in die off in late february. In winter you almost see none.
Regarding the bushfires, its the worse now in Victoria since 1982, but like the flies they will be gone when the cooler weather starts in a couple of months

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 23rd 2006 at 9:23 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we've been in Rowville for 4 months, but moving to Pakenham next week. Whereabouts are you? You're the first people I know in Rowville, haven't met any brits here yet!
Know what you mean about the smoke and the flies. Try getting some Off! or similiar, it does help (for the flies that is not the smoke).
Have a good Christmas.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

We arrived via a stopover in Hong Kong (which I'd definitely recommend despite the horrible jetlag - what a fab city, loads to do and see and I'll definitely go back there)

Hello and merry christmas. Glad you are enjoying it. Its reasuring when people say positive things. We are moving to Melbourne in March. Do you mind me asking who you flew to Hong Kong with and if they were any good? We would prefer to stop there than Singapore but the flights we have found that stop there seem very expensive.

Anyway, good luck with your new lives and perhaps see you soon!!
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, up beat post.
All the best to you and I hope you have an excellent first Australian Christmas. The little :scared: will trip you up now and again. But just pick yourself up and forge ahead, your first year is a great adventure.

School terms and years are confusingly different. I am researching going back to the UK from Australia, so I have the same difficulty, only in reverse! If only the term dates were exactly the same !
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you continue to enjoy Melbourne, will look for fututre updates of jobs and getting used to the everyday things
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:25 pm
Newbie!

Originally Posted by Bookie
Hi, we've been in Rowville for 4 months, but moving to Pakenham next week. Whereabouts are you? You're the first people I know in Rowville, haven't met any brits here yet!
Know what you mean about the smoke and the flies. Try getting some Off! or similiar, it does help (for the flies that is not the smoke).
Have a good Christmas.
Oh hello!!! We're near the Stud Rd/Wellington Rd junction, what about you? Rowville is quite sprawling isn't it? My SIL and family (scousers ) live just the other side of Wellington rd from us near Rowville 2ndary college.

Will look out for this Off stuff then, although now it's gone cool maybe they won't be as annoying for the next few days.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:29 pm
Newbie!

Originally Posted by thebardies
We arrived via a stopover in Hong Kong (which I'd definitely recommend despite the horrible jetlag - what a fab city, loads to do and see and I'll definitely go back there)

Hello and merry christmas. Glad you are enjoying it. Its reasuring when people say positive things. We are moving to Melbourne in March. Do you mind me asking who you flew to Hong Kong with and if they were any good? We would prefer to stop there than Singapore but the flights we have found that stop there seem very expensive.

Anyway, good luck with your new lives and perhaps see you soon!!
We flew with Cathay Pacific who were really good. My OH sorted the flights out, I think we paid 1600 pounds for the 4 of us, and then he booked the hotel in Hong Kong online which saved some more - I think it came to about 200 for 3 nights. We did, however, do a big no-no and book our flights before our visas had been granted as prices were going up so much - that was a touch stressful!

Everyone told us Hong Kong was really expensive but we didn't find it to be at all.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 4:43 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

hope you dont mind me checking your threads? Its so nice to hear someone who is having fun and feeling positive when so many people seem to be missing home so much.
Only thing I will miss here is my mom!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

VanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to allVanessaB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bookie
Have a good Christmas.
Hi,
Where just waiting for visa's have lodged bond and we are coming out to Rowville our cousins live there they moved out 7 years ago live on wyola court if you know where that is they are putting us up we are hopeing to be out there by the end of Feb would be nice to meet up with fellow ex pats.

Regards
Vanessa.