Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Well we got here and 5 days later

Well we got here and 5 days later

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Well we got here and 5 days later

Nice post! Glad to hear you are so well sorted already!

Hope your throat continues to mend. Did you get the rental you all loved?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiger222
Nice post! Glad to hear you are so well sorted already!

Hope your throat continues to mend. Did you get the rental you all loved?
Hi. Thanks yes we got the rental we liked in Kinross been here a week. So far so good. OH has got a job, dog out of quarantine, kids in school just waiting my furniture now, blow up beds are quite comfy though
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Hi. Thanks yes we got the rental we liked in Kinross been here a week. So far so good. OH has got a job, dog out of quarantine, kids in school just waiting my furniture now, blow up beds are quite comfy though
How's the dog? I am so worried about my cats being in quarantine, one of them is very "grumpy" apparently. I am worried thy are going to pine away. These next two weeks just can't go quickly enough for me.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:37 am
Account Closed

The dog was fine, went to visit her once in quarantine as we got there 2 weeks after her. She wasn't that fussed to see us just sat wagging her tail to the kennel person. When we went to pick her up she stank of urine her paws were tinged yellow so she needed a bath and I chopped off the offending fur. She had lost weight but she is a really fussy eater and I leave food out for her all day until she decides to eat it. In quarantine maybe they don't leave the food there all day. Now she is back to her old self although she slept for quite a bit when she came out. Your cats will be fine and it will be a fantastic feeling on the morning you pick them up when they at last belong to you again.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The dog was fine, went to visit her once in quarantine as we got there 2 weeks after her. She wasn't that fussed to see us just sat wagging her tail to the kennel person. When we went to pick her up she stank of urine her paws were tinged yellow so she needed a bath and I chopped off the offending fur. She had lost weight but she is a really fussy eater and I leave food out for her all day until she decides to eat it. In quarantine maybe they don't leave the food there all day. Now she is back to her old self although she slept for quite a bit when she came out. Your cats will be fine and it will be a fantastic feeling on the morning you pick them up when they at last belong to you again.
Glad you are settling in. Generally dogs need 16 hours of sleep a day and in kennels there is so much going on they don't sleep as much. Our dog came out of kennels (on holiday) and he slept for almost 2 days.

Welcome to Perth, hope all continues to go well.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update. Get well soon.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is my understanding they don't leave the food out all the time, whereas I normally leave dry biscuits out all day for the cats. Apparently they have put on weight since they have been in quarantine, probably due to lack of activity.

I am glad they are still eating though. My pet shipper told me that whilst we might be pining for the cats and think they feel the same, in fact the cats are probably not going to be pining for us in the way that a dog might pine for its owner. I still just want them out, it will be a fantastic feeling, there is nothing I am looking forward to more than having my cats at home with me again. Going to visit on Monday. Can't wait.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes it is my understanding they don't leave the food out all the time, whereas I normally leave dry biscuits out all day for the cats. Apparently they have put on weight since they have been in quarantine, probably due to lack of activity.

I am glad they are still eating though. My pet shipper told me that whilst we might be pining for the cats and think they feel the same, in fact the cats are probably not going to be pining for us in the way that a dog might pine for its owner. I still just want them out, it will be a fantastic feeling, there is nothing I am looking forward to more than having my cats at home with me again. Going to visit on Monday. Can't wait.
Did you go tos ee your cats? Hope they are looking well and pleased to see you.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you go tos ee your cats? Hope they are looking well and pleased to see you.
I did go to see the cats and no, one of them is not looking at all well.

And so much for them having put weight on, in fact he has lost a load of weight and just looks scrawny and unhappy, I can tell by looking at him and picking him up that he has lost loads of weight. He is about 1/2 kg lighter than he normally is. He used to start purring if you so much as touched him but we didn't get a single purr in an hour yesterday. I am very worried about him. The accommodation is absolutely awful too. Two more weeks to go. I have told them to try and get his weight up, but apparently I have to put this in writing before they will try, me standing there in front of them and telling them is not enough.

The lady in quarantine also told me that it is the cats that don't do well in quarantine and that some of them just give up and die. Lovely thing to tell a concerned owner. I don't know how we are going to get through the next two weeks really.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 2nd 2010 at 9:09 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

I did go to see the cats and no, one of them is not looking at all well.

And so much for them having put weight on, in fact he has lost a load of weight and just looks scrawny and unhappy, I can tell by looking at him and picking him up that he has lost loads of weight. He is about 1/2 kg lighter than he normally is. He used to start purring if you so much as touched him but we didn't get a single purr in an hour yesterday. I am very worried about him. The accommodation is absolutely awful too. Two more weeks to go. I have told them to try and get his weight up, but apparently I have to put this in writing before they will try, me standing there in front of them and telling them is not enough.

The lady in quarantine also told me that it is the cats that don't do well in quarantine and that some of them just give up and die. Lovely thing to tell a concerned owner. I don't know how we are going to get through the next two weeks really.
I'm so sorry to hear this! It's so sad! Can you bring your cat some treats?

It reinforces our decision to give our cat to my sister in law.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tiger222
I'm so sorry to hear this! It's so sad! Can you bring your cat some treats?

It reinforces our decision to give our cat to my sister in law.
We did bring in the food they are used to eating at home, they are not really bothered about cat treats. And I have just sent the letter asking for the portions to be increased. I think all we can do now is call every couple of days, maybe pester for them to be weighed more regularly and monitor the situation. I don't know what else we can do really. It certainly would make think twice about bringing an older, single cat out. At least mine have each other.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

We did bring in the food they are used to eating at home, they are not really bothered about cat treats. And I have just sent the letter asking for the portions to be increased. I think all we can do now is call every couple of days, maybe pester for them to be weighed more regularly and monitor the situation. I don't know what else we can do really. It certainly would make think twice about bringing an older, single cat out. At least mine have each other.
Maybe you could visit more? So they can be reassured?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Hi. So sorry about you cats. I don't know if its possible for cats but quarantine told us here in perth that there are people who you can pay to go into quarantine to excersise dogs or groom them if owner's aren't able to get there themselves. I didn't look into it but there may be a cat groomer near by who could go in and spend an hour with them. I know it sounds awful but I just kind of put our dog to the back of my mind, to keep me from getting upset and wish now that I hadn't gone to visit her as we too had to wait 2 weeks to get her out after our visit. I have only heard good reports about Byford quarantine but I didn't reckon much of it, and I don't think the staff were animal lovers. The 2 weeks will go quick though and then you can spolil em rotton and in the case of our dog she is back to her normal self now. Animals are tough and if you think about some of the cruelty you see on TV where animals are left outside, physically abused and not fed, a month in qarantine doesn't looks so bad they've survived the flight done two weeks already soon they'll be able to bask in the sunshine!!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Kayelem you have made me feel a bit more positive. They probably are tougher than I think and it is good to know another one has got through it. I am also not sure visiting helps, in fact I thought it might have confused them a bit "why are you leaving us here?" Type of thing. Twelve more sleeps until they are home!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long time since I've had a cat, but I just had a thought about taking in an item of clothing that you or husband have worn, or perhaps some other item that they know from home (? cushion cover or blanket), to remind them of you. Does a vet visit this place, or can one be called? Fingers crossed for you.