British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Well we got here and 5 days later (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/well-we-got-here-5-days-later-675431/)

Kayelem Jul 6th 2010 12:04 pm

Well we got here and 5 days later

I have a really bad dose of tonsillitus. Great start to our new life.
Anyway to get on with the update. Flights were very good Singapore Airlines fantastic although insisted on waking me up what felt like every half hour to ask me if I wanted a drink or food and then to ask if my kids wanted any when they were asleep felt like putting a do not disturb sign on meself.

Staying in Joondalup in a rental apartment and its freezing at night and very noisy at night, but thats because we didn't realise we were on a main road and in Uni terriory. Spent first few days driving around in hire car just weighing up areas and driving by houses for rent. Veiwed a few houses.
Bought a car today old Hyundai Lancer.
Put in an application for a rental house in Kinross that we all love, fingers crossed we will get it.
Been to Perth city via the train, very easy way to get to the city to get bank cards with NAB
Got Lebara sims for phones
Visited our dog in quarantine
Done a weekly shop in IGA -SHOCK very expensive and we bought cheapest on offer.
Hubby got interveiw with agency in the city on Thursday.

We had never set foot in Oz up until 5 days ago but its what we both expected. So, so far so good. Luckily I did my homework before we left the UK so we were all geared up for what we needed to do wen we got here. Not feeling at all stressed. Medicare to do tomorrow and the office is across the road.
One thing I haven't done yet but I am itching to do.... is to go shopping :lol:

Wendy66 Jul 6th 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Well we got here and 5 days later

Good luck with your new life, time will fly by :thumbup:

bayleysdownunder Jul 6th 2010 12:22 pm

Good luck, My husband and i loved Perth when we visited and planned to move there, but work brought us to Melbourne.

RedT Jul 6th 2010 12:39 pm

Aw, sorry about the tonsilitis, good excuse to try out plenty of ice cream though?!

You sound really sorted and getting it all together, I hope we're half as organised when we get there! We'll be staying with family for a few weeks at first I think so hoping they'll help us settle in and get sorted.

Enjoy and well done!

Tx

myrtle1 Jul 6th 2010 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kayelem (Post 8681083)
:lol:

Hey - you've been busy! We arrived in Brissy 5 days ago and as I got on the flight from Singapore I could feel my voice getting croaky! Arrived in Brissy with no voice at all - hubby thought he was in heaven but unfortunately for him it didn't last! Hope you have some luck with the rental - will cross fingers for you! Happy exploring :thumbsup:

Sally Simpson Jul 6th 2010 11:24 pm

Hope you feel better soon:fingerscrossed:

JenniGee Jul 8th 2010 6:51 am

Tonsillitis? Head for Baskin Robbins, QUICK!!!

Many congrats for taking the plunge without even visiting first - loads of good luck for your new life, brave people :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jen1977ni Jul 8th 2010 11:29 am

Originally Posted by JenniGee (Post 8685562)
Tonsillitis? Head for Baskin Robbins, QUICK!!!

Many congrats for taking the plunge without even visiting first - loads of good luck for your new life, brave people :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cold Rock is so much better mmmmm I know how you feel, a few weeks after we arrived here I got the mumps, and WOW how sore was that! Get better soon and those Lebara sims are brilliant for phoning the UK!!!

aussietobe Jul 11th 2010 11:32 am

Anyway to get on with the update. Flights were very good Singapore Airlines fantastic although insisted on waking me up what felt like every half hour to ask me if I wanted a drink or food and then to ask if my kids wanted any when they were asleep felt like putting a do not disturb sign on meself.

Staying in Joondalup in a rental apartment and its freezing at night and very noisy at night, but thats because we didn't realise we were on a main road and in Uni terriory. Spent first few days driving around in hire car just weighing up areas and driving by houses for rent. Veiwed a few houses.
Put in an application for a rental house in Kinross that we all love, fingers crossed we will get it.
Been to Perth city via the train, very easy way to get to the city to get bank cards with NAB
Done a weekly shop in IGA -SHOCK very expensive and we bought cheapest on offer.

We had never set foot in Oz up until 5 days ago but its what we both expected. So, so far so good. Luckily I did my homework before we left the UK so we were all geared up for what we needed to do wen we got here. Not feeling at all stressed. Medicare to do tomorrow and the office is across the road.

Glad this yucky weather isn't putting you off!! wait for spring! its glorious!!

Kayelem Jul 12th 2010 9:17 am

well at alst the sore throat has gone but not without the help of antibiotics. At least I got to experience visiting the doctors and bulk billing or whatever its called. Turns out I had a "beaut of a strep throat" were the doctors words. The antibiotics were cheaper than a UK prescription too as the dispenser asked me if I wanted the generic version.

Now all I can say is thank god I packed my boots and waterproof dog walking coat, just wish I'd bought my wellies. So far so good just discovered KMart where I can get some bargain bits and bobs to set us up in our unfurnished rental until our furniture arrives including 36 piece dinner set complete with 4 big plates, small plates, bowls, mugs, knives and forks and glasses for $20 BARGAIN. oh I'm so sad, but as everything else has so far been quite a dear do I was excited to find something cheap.

One question to ask. Do I press savings or credit when buying stuff an my debit card? NAB say savings but on reading up on it I shold press credit to get protection.

Jen1977ni Jul 12th 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Kayelem (Post 8695385)
well at alst the sore throat has gone but not without the help of antibiotics. At least I got to experience visiting the doctors and bulk billing or whatever its called. Turns out I had a "beaut of a strep throat" were the doctors words. The antibiotics were cheaper than a UK prescription too as the dispenser asked me if I wanted the generic version.

Now all I can say is thank god I packed my boots and waterproof dog walking coat, just wish I'd bought my wellies. So far so good just discovered KMart where I can get some bargain bits and bobs to set us up in our unfurnished rental until our furniture arrives including 36 piece dinner set complete with 4 big plates, small plates, bowls, mugs, knives and forks and glasses for $20 BARGAIN. oh I'm so sad, but as everything else has so far been quite a dear do I was excited to find something cheap.

One question to ask. Do I press savings or credit when buying stuff an my debit card? NAB say savings but on reading up on it I shold press credit to get protection.

Either or, but in Woolies you can't press credit anymore, and in Aldi you get charged 1% or something, if you press credit lol

Glad the throat's on the mend xo

menulc Jul 12th 2010 1:03 pm

Good luck.Also it will be interesting to know the shopping experience.

louise Jul 17th 2010 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kayelem (Post 8695385)

Glad to hear your throat is on the mend:thumbsup:

No matter how many times people explain the savings and credit thing to you, you will probably get a different angle on it.

I also got told to press Credit for extra security! Apparently if you press savings it goes straight out of your account it you press credit it may take a day or two to go out.

I was also told by one of the furniture shops you only get so many times to press savings for free before they start charging you:confused: but I'm sure that depends on which bank you are with.

However, as Jenni said some places charge you extra if you want to press credit, the wonderful LJH:sneaky: our rental agents said they would need to fill a form in and it would cost me an extra 1.5% if I wanted to press credit to pay my rent......

I just press credit where I can get away with it for no extra cost.

This is the way I understand it, :fingerscrossed: I got it right:rofl:

squeezzii Jul 18th 2010 3:57 am

and dont forget you can get some terrific stuff reasonably from Ikea too- O think they still have thier sale on

Jen1977ni Jul 19th 2010 7:30 am

Originally Posted by squeezzii (Post 8709469)
and dont forget you can get some terrific stuff reasonably from Ikea too- O think they still have thier sale on

And some of it's a right rip off!

Chest of Drawers in UK - £85
same ones in Oz - $299....

Hmmmmm :sneaky: