British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   We made it! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/we-made-634613/)

coolerkingcooler Oct 8th 2009 1:44 pm

We made it!

Took a while, but we made it to SA and we are very happy:D

We're in Adelaide and it is clearly better than anywhere else in Australia (or the World :D), Go Crows - whatever that means?

Emirates:eek: Letter of complaint about being moved seats without notice so we had no basinet for the little'un for the long drag from Dubai (never again) airport to Melbourne. Got 50mins sleep on the 13 1/2 hr flight. Some of the staff were great though.

Melbourne customs - great, didn't check the golf clubs - they were spotless though.

We are going to Brisbane at Christmas so we booked with virginblue pass which you need at least three sector flights. I think it was cheap Mel->ADL
and Adl->Bri return cost $1,750 - which we thought was cheap for two adults and four children (9, 7, 3, 1). There are a few catches ie you cannot be an Aus resident when you buy. We were only 50kgs over for them and that would have been $500:eek: They charged nothing, maybe we got lucky but they were marvelous so I thought it only fair to mention.

Word of advice to anyone with young boys on long flights, make sure they drink and sleep. Not eat and watch films constantly:eek: If this happens and you catch your nine yr old old son sleep walking at Melbourne airport sleep walking towards an escalator, fill the child with water:ohmy: This can sometimes be made worse by your three yr old boy trying to go up a down escalator. Apart from one security incident and many bemused air goers, it went pretty well actually. Valium anyone:D

Off to bed:blink:
Cooler

Juliecabs Oct 8th 2009 1:48 pm

Re: We made it!

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler (Post 8000155)
Word of advice to anyone with young boys on long flights, make sure they drink and sleep. Not eat and watch films constantly:eek: If this happens and you catch your nine yr old old son sleep walking at Melbourne airport sleep walking towards an escalator, fill the child with water:ohmy: This can sometimes be made worse by your three yr old boy trying to go up a down escalator. Apart from one security incident and many bemused air goers, it went pretty well actually. Valium anyone:D

Cooler

Kids eh :rolleyes:

Glad you're there safe and sound. Keep us updated.

Julie. x

johnnyyt Oct 8th 2009 2:37 pm

What a nightmare on the seat change.
We're thinking of booking a seat for the baby if we ever get a visa, don't fancy having him on our laps for that long.

Can't wait to hear the full story of the journey after you have had some sleep.

Johnnyyt

shears Oct 8th 2009 3:31 pm

Welcome to The Far Side ... Cooler & Co, :lol: at your journey, well at least you won't forget it in a hurry!

Don't forget to change your location ;)

cheers
shears :)

nbn8 Oct 8th 2009 4:19 pm

Glad to hear that you made it to the other side! keep us updated Nicky

Alfresco Oct 8th 2009 4:39 pm

Sounds like it was fun! :D

Glad you made it. No posting on MBTTUK for at least two (2) years! :fingerscrossed:

Oh! You can change your location description now. ;)

Jen1977ni Oct 8th 2009 5:49 pm

WOO HOO BRILLIANT STUFF YOU 6! :thumbsup:

This all feels so personal to me, almost like I'm the one in Oz, as I've followed ur story for so long and had the absolute pleasure of meeting you all! Good luck in the next chapter of your lives, don't be a stranger!

Jen xo

Dougie Oct 8th 2009 8:19 pm

Hey Up Cooler

Been away from here for a while now and lost touch on a few things !

Sorry to read about the plane issue mate but well jelous your there hope you and yours really enjoy life down under mate not sure if you have read my thread a while back but its over for me afraid so we'll have to put that BBQ an beers on hold for now :(

Good luck matey and I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Dougie

LouiseR Oct 8th 2009 8:44 pm

Took a while, but we made it to SA and we are very happy

We're in Adelaide and it is clearly better than anywhere else in Australia (or the World :D), Go Crows - whatever that means?

Emirates:eek: Letter of complaint about being moved seats without notice so we had no basinet for the little'un for the long drag from Dubai (never again) airport to Melbourne. Got 50mins sleep on the 13 1/2 hr flight. Some of the staff were great though.

Melbourne customs - great, didn't check the golf clubs - they were spotless though.

We are going to Brisbane at Christmas so we booked with virginblue pass which you need at least three sector flights. I think it was cheap Mel->ADL
and Adl->Bri return cost $1,750 - which we thought was cheap for two adults and four children (9, 7, 3, 1). There are a few catches ie you cannot be an Aus resident when you buy. We were only 50kgs over for them and that would have been $500:eek: They charged nothing, maybe we got lucky but they were marvelous so I thought it only fair to mention.

Cooler

Yay!!! You need to change your location now then ;) Unless it's cold and raining in Adelaide! Well done for making it to Oz with 4 kids under 10, you deserve to receive your body weight in Valium!

If we can help when you come to Brisbane at Xmas, just let me know :)

Originally Posted by johnnyyt (Post 8000292)
We're thinking of booking a seat for the baby if we ever get a visa, don't fancy having him on our laps for that long.

Do it! We took our then 7 month old back in March and booking a seat was the best thing we did, we didn't get a bassinet although I do kind of wish we would've got one of those as well. Good look and fingers crossed for a visa soon for you :)

paulry Oct 8th 2009 11:27 pm

It's great to learn that you have all made it to the other side :thumbsup:

I'm sure it all feels like a dream come true :):cool:

emelems Oct 9th 2009 12:34 am

Cooler

:thumbup: Welcome to Oz :)

Em x

squeezzii Oct 9th 2009 3:15 am

well done at getting here-now the hard work begins...best of luck on your adventure

scottishcelts Oct 9th 2009 3:31 am

Cooler

:rofl:

Congratulations you guys - now get some bloody sleep man :frown:

coolerkingcooler Oct 9th 2009 11:12 am

Re: We made it! Cooler's updates

Thanks all.

Today we managed to borrow a car from a car dealer all day. The sales guy took Mrs C to buy car seats first of all. We went into Adelaide again and sorted out one or two things and then back to the car dealer and are buying a car.

On the way out in the morning we found out that a there was a JP on the holiday park where we are staying so she notarised some documents and put us onto the car dealer. Her cockateel also bit our eldest, we thought it was funny but he didn't.

The dealer is lending us a car all weekend which is great as although dealers are dearer than private, we have not had to hire a hire car which are expensive if you need and people carrier like ourselves.

Last night we watched Q&A (I think) which was quite funny as the divide in the extremes were present - don't mention gay weddings. Good to see Germaine Greer - love her but she needs to take a chill pill.

They love AFL here:eek:

Cooler

Fly Away Oct 9th 2009 11:25 am

Welcome to Adelaide! You're gonna have a ball! :thumbsup: