British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   We made it! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/we-made-479626/)

Mrs JFW Sep 7th 2007 2:04 pm

We made it!

Hello!

Gawd! I've not been on here for over a month! :ohmy:

Just wanted to let you know that we arrived in Brisbane safe and sound on 22nd August after stopping for a week in Dubai (very hot) and a week in Singapore (warm). We flew with Emirates this time and to be honest thought they were rubbish compared to Singapore airlines....sorry emirates!

We've done all the usual things that you do when you first land in the country. We are renting on a small complex in Cleveland. It will be fine for 6 months until we can find something more to our liking. The kids are settled Cleveland State School and seem to be enjoying it.

The weather is a bit chilly for my liking so can't wait for it to warm up a bit. Still waiting for our stuff to arrive from the UK, so using patio furniture to sit on for now.

I have been in to work to meet my manager and have a look round the unit (CCU at the Mater Adult). I think i will like working there, they seem a friendly bunch. I don't start work til 8th October, so I'm still on holiday! :thumbsup:

Jon has just started to look for work, but I've told him not to stress too much about it just yet. We can survive on one wage for now.

We've met some lovely people especially VikkiL and her family and Nikki and Graham who have been a great help to us.

So no major dramas to speak of so far....just waiting for the sun to come out! :lol:

I still can't believe I am here! :ohmy:

Jackie x

wardy2 Sep 7th 2007 3:14 pm

Re: We made it!

Hi Jackie

Glad to see you arrived ok, we were thinking of flying emirates on the new flight out of Newcastle is it realy awful.

Sounds like you are living the life we had mapped out same school and everything, we have changed our minds though and are now going to try Cairns.

Things sound like they settled really quickly for you and sounds like you are loving it.

If you get to go to Hog's Breath cafe can you have a bowl of malaysian satay soup for my OH he loved it and would easily settle there in Cleveland in a heartbeat who knows if Cairns doesnt fit we could still end up neighbours.

Have a wonderful holiday and hope you enjoy your new job.

Kaye

mindblower Sep 7th 2007 3:26 pm

[ Jackie x[/QUOTE]

Heyyyyyyyyy Jackie !!

Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound and are settling in !

Keep us posted on life in Brissy .....

G/day...

Dave
Oldham

:thumbup:

Carole & Keith Sep 7th 2007 4:13 pm

Hi Jackie,

Glad you have settled in ok, sorry flight was not as good as Singapore Airlines, after all the good comments on singapore, have decided thats who I will be flying with, when I eventually get my house sold.

How long in the car, does it take to travel to the Mater Hospital from Cleveland?, as this is one of the area's we are looking at to live, but the area has to be commutable distance to Queensland University (St Lucia Campus) aswell. And if you know, is public transport ok to get to the Mater.

I know you will have loads to do over next few weeks, and your mind on other things, but keeping posting, love to hear all about the highs and lows of your move.

Carole

juss44 Sep 7th 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Carole & Keith (Post 5285584)
Hi Jackie,

Glad you have settled in ok, sorry flight was not as good as Singapore Airlines, after all the good comments on singapore, have decided thats who I will be flying with, when I eventually get my house sold.

How long in the car, does it take to travel to the Mater Hospital from Cleveland?, as this is one of the area's we are looking at to live, but the area has to be commutable distance to Queensland University (St Lucia Campus) aswell. And if you know, is public transport ok to get to the Mater.

I know you will have loads to do over next few weeks, and your mind on other things, but keeping posting, love to hear all about the highs and lows of your move.

Carole

Hi Carole, just being nosey reading through these threads...We have flown with Singapore Airlines, 2 adults, 6 month babs and 2 year old. They were fab, customer service excellent, always on hand but not in your face, friendly professional.......I would never fly to Aus with anyone else. We got a fab deal through Trialfinders. Just wanted to share that with you.

Good luck in all that you do.

Juss, Brissy here we come......Still waiting.:rofl:

s-jmelbournewannabe Sep 7th 2007 7:31 pm

Hi Jackie,

Congrats to you for your successful first 4 wks. emotionally how you finding it?

S-j x

lacey21 Sep 8th 2007 3:23 am

Well done Jackie

your a star

welcome

love lace xx

belleandscone Sep 8th 2007 5:49 am

thank god your here, glad everything is going well, bad news about the flight (but you wont need to do it again for a while!!), we'll catch up soon honey.(pm'd ya)
Clairex

Bix Sep 8th 2007 12:39 pm

For some reason I always thought JFW stood for "Jackie for Walsall".
Thought you was intent on going there to live :confused:

Oh well, welcome to Australia then ;)

Wendy Sep 8th 2007 12:49 pm

Welcome to Australia Jackie and tribe :thumbsup:

mark 'n' joe Sep 8th 2007 1:39 pm

Glad youve arrived safe and sound. Sounds like you are settling well. Enjoy your holiday before you start work. All the best. :thumbup:

Joex

Stitch Sep 8th 2007 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW (Post 5284987)
Hello!

Just wanted to let you know that we arrived in Brisbane safe and sound on 22nd August after stopping for a week in Dubai (very hot) and a week in Singapore (warm). We flew with Emirates this time and to be honest thought they were rubbish compared to Singapore airlines....sorry emirates!

We've done all the usual things that you do when you first land in the country. We are renting on a small complex in Cleveland. It will be fine for 6 months until we can find something more to our liking. The kids are settled Cleveland State School and seem to be enjoying it.

The weather is a bit chilly for my liking so can't wait for it to warm up a bit. Still waiting for our stuff to arrive from the UK, so using patio furniture to sit on for now.

I have been in to work to meet my manager and have a look round the unit (CCU at the Mater Adult). I think i will like working there, they seem a friendly bunch. I don't start work til 8th October, so I'm still on holiday! :thumbsup:

Jon has just started to look for work, but I've told him not to stress too much about it just yet. We can survive on one wage for now.

We've met some lovely people especially VikkiL and her family and Nikki and Graham who have been a great help to us.

So no major dramas to speak of so far....just waiting for the sun to come out! :lol:

Jackie x

Wondered what had happened to you missus......Glad you arrived safe and sound. Just up the road from you!

Cheers

Ginny x

Mrs JFW Sep 8th 2007 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 5288271)
For some reason I always thought JFW stood for "Jackie for Walsall".
Thought you was intent on going there to live :confused:

Oh well, welcome to Australia then ;)

Thanks for the welcome! JFW stands for Jackie For Wine! :thumbsup::rofl:

Issie Sep 8th 2007 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW (Post 5284987)
Hello!

Jackie x

Finally ......i have been worried sick, not heard a pip for ages :ohmy:

So glad your settled and enjoying it so far:thumbsup:

Take care honey :)

Sally Simpson Sep 8th 2007 3:12 pm

Good post, glad to hear you are all settling. Enjoy the holiday!:thumbsup: