Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

We are LOVING Australia!!!!

We are LOVING Australia!!!!

Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default We are LOVING Australia!!!!

Wow and double WOW!
Finally got our Wi Fi nternet connected up....so here I am giving my view on Australia and the Aussies!
Arrived in mid March after a long and very draining 6 years existance in NZ.
We ended up in Canberra after years of planning Brisbane...!! Why? I don't know why..but we did and are sooooooo glad we did!
We have to say Canberra is so 'us'....the city in the country and it certainly is that.
It has cold winters and as most of you know I don't 'do' cold...so thought this would test me out having winter here...and you know what....I am still waiting to feel the cold! Still haven't worn my jacket yet....
The construction of the homes here are a million times better than NZ, they feel warm inside even without heating....aaaahhhhhh HEATING!! Yes we have REAL heating and further more we can afford to use it!!
In March we arrived to a late summer heatwave, 37 degrees and just perfect...bliss! We love dry heat!
Before I go any further, I would like to apologise to anyone reading who has found Australia not to their liking or had difficulties settling etc...I do know what that feels like having 'endured' NZ for over 6 years and hating every day of being there. So sorry if this post offends, it isn't meant to.
But for us, Australia is THE country....the best there is.
Found Canberra city centre so easy to get around and we just love the surrounding countryside. So much to see and do, we pinch ourselves every day to remind ourselves we are really here and so lucky to be here.
We have fantastic choice of foods here, so many areas to visit which all have different foods from different cultures and we have lots of 'cheaper' shops which cuts down on expensive weekly shops and gives us more spare cash to enjoy.
Wages here are three times what we earned in NZ, yet have found prices lower for everything including fuel & power bills!!
I have found the Aussies ...well just ACE! They have the same wicked sense of humour us Bits tend to have, sadly missing in NZ we found, and as for being friendly.......if all Aussies are like the Canberrians (sp)?? well......they must rate as the friendliest bunch on the planet.
So for us it was the best move we have ever made in our entire lives and so glad we didn't hop back to UK!
Our only regret is that we didn't come to OZ first and wasted so many years (and thousands $$$$) in NZ thinking it could be anything like OZ....it isn't!!
I can only say, if anyone is currently in NZ pondering the move to OZ or back home, I would say if you an afford to try OZ....try it!!
We are so glad we did.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are LOVING Australia!!!!

Fantastic matey - it's just like going from 3rd world to western world when you move from NZ-OZ isn't it? Never thought you'd end up in Canberra though.

We must meet up - we're only 7 hours drive apart!

Buzzy
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Fantastic matey - it's just like going from 3rd world to western world when you move from NZ-OZ isn't it? Never thought you'd end up in Canberra though.

We must meet up - we're only 7 hours drive apart!

Buzzy
You are so right there Buzzy!!
Yes we plan Melbourne some time, OH uncle lived there for 40+ years and we planned to see him in June but he died before we got the chance.
Have lost planned, eldest is coming mid Nov and we spending time in Sydney with him and then we hope to also fit in Melbourne, but we have another Uk visitor over at same time and one more (surprise) UK visitor planning a trip to OZ and NZ...none other than my ex!! OMG!!
So we have a busy few months ahead around Xmas and New Year....but I am LOVING Canberra so much it is just 'us'...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, another one for coffee!!!!

Surprised you arent wearing your jacket today though - a giddy 6C according to my widget and I have my thermal underwear on.

I dont get it when people dont like Canberra - it's not a bad place at all and so glad you are enjoying it!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
Hey, another one for coffee!!!!

Surprised you arent wearing your jacket today though - a giddy 6C according to my widget and I have my thermal underwear on.

I dont get it when people dont like Canberra - it's not a bad place at all and so glad you are enjoying it!
Maybe I have got used to being cold living inside a nz house that I am sweating now in Canberra! LOL
I love Canberra, I would never had considered it if my OH hadnt been pestered to take this job, we were heading for Brisbane.....
Yeh coffee.....lots of places to choose from isn't there??
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:37 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Wondered where you had got to!

So glad you are enjoying it, Canberra eh! that was a bit of a surprise was so sure you would end up in Brisbane.

Oz ticks pretty much all of the boxes that NZ didn't, my only downer is my bestest mate of all time was in NZ and am missing her and her family big time, but I'm a big girl I'll cope.

Wish the exchange rate wasn't such a pile of poo though, our money is stuck in NZ till it hopefully gets a little better, still on the bright side whilst its there we are not spending it!!!

wishing you all the best

Paula
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

All these NZ refugees......

Buzzy
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Paula....money eh? You mean you got some left over after surviving NZ? LOL
It made us totally skint living there, the wages could not even get close to the (ever rising) cost of living, but so glad to be out of it now and never look back.
Canberra came as a surprise to me too, we were heading for Brissy, but this company would not take no for an answer and we thought 'yeh, lets go for it'....and so glad we did.
It is everything and more that we enjoy. Am not big on cities, I get lost in Manchester yet I lived just outside for most of my life, have no sense of direction at all, yet within weeks I was navigating my way around Canberra like I had lived here all my life...I am surprising the hubby big time!
He is left speechless as I am driving around and he is saying 'go here, go there, turn this way etc"....and of course I take another direction and he looks on amazed as I get to the destination in half the time (without speeding lol)
Buzzy, yes NZ is emptying fast, I had my ex next door neighbour on the phone a few times saying that she has had enough of living in NZ and now wants her (kiwi) partner to move to OZ and wants me to look for jobs for him, trouble is, she hasn't told him yet!!
I am glad to hear you settled in Melbourne, that is one place we do want to visit some day, and will.
I have found lots of kiwis here in Canberra, and the majority have lived here for many many years, none would ever go back.
I know I certainly won't be going back, not even to visit!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What a really happy update
Glad you are enjoying life once more
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, we are loving it here, feel for ones that don't settle though, as we know only too well how that feels!
Although for some, its homesickness and for us, it wasn't that, it was NZ!
Feel more at home now in OZ than we did in UK!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Still here and still loving Australia, just can't think why we didn't do this years ago?
Still finding new places to visit, enjoy having $$$$$$$ left over after all bills and shopping!
Having choice once more in the shops, especially food, its like being in Heaven.
Looking forward to meeting up with No1 son in November, he just enjoyed a 3 week tour of Uk/Europe, and you know what? We didn't envy him!!
He is now back in Dunedin, think he may have froze in his bed.
Have Sydney and Melbourne planned for when he is over-can't wait!
Loving every minute and every day of being here-if this is a honeymoon period-long may it continue!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: We are LOVING Australia!!!!

Originally Posted by Rascal
if this is a honeymoon period-long may it continue!!
I am still on honeymoon after over a year.....

Buzzy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

That's good news Buzzy, you know what? I think we will be feeling the same too after 20 years here!
Only regret we have is that we didn't move here first 6 years ago..but there you go, live and learn!
In my next life though, I am going to be born here!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:37 am
Just Joined

mschulhof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
Wow and double WOW!
Finally got our Wi Fi nternet connected up....so here I am giving my view on Australia and the Aussies!
Arrived in mid March after a long and very draining 6 years existance in NZ.
We ended up in Canberra after years of planning Brisbane...!! Why? I don't know why..but we did and are sooooooo glad we did!
We have to say Canberra is so 'us'....the city in the country and it certainly is that.
It has cold winters and as most of you know I don't 'do' cold...so thought this would test me out having winter here...and you know what....I am still waiting to feel the cold! Still haven't worn my jacket yet....
The construction of the homes here are a million times better than NZ, they feel warm inside even without heating....aaaahhhhhh HEATING!! Yes we have REAL heating and further more we can afford to use it!!
In March we arrived to a late summer heatwave, 37 degrees and just perfect...bliss! We love dry heat!
Before I go any further, I would like to apologise to anyone reading who has found Australia not to their liking or had difficulties settling etc...I do know what that feels like having 'endured' NZ for over 6 years and hating every day of being there. So sorry if this post offends, it isn't meant to.
But for us, Australia is THE country....the best there is.
Found Canberra city centre so easy to get around and we just love the surrounding countryside. So much to see and do, we pinch ourselves every day to remind ourselves we are really here and so lucky to be here.
We have fantastic choice of foods here, so many areas to visit which all have different foods from different cultures and we have lots of 'cheaper' shops which cuts down on expensive weekly shops and gives us more spare cash to enjoy.
Wages here are three times what we earned in NZ, yet have found prices lower for everything including fuel & power bills!!
I have found the Aussies ...well just ACE! They have the same wicked sense of humour us Bits tend to have, sadly missing in NZ we found, and as for being friendly.......if all Aussies are like the Canberrians (sp)?? well......they must rate as the friendliest bunch on the planet.
So for us it was the best move we have ever made in our entire lives and so glad we didn't hop back to UK!
Our only regret is that we didn't come to OZ first and wasted so many years (and thousands $$$$) in NZ thinking it could be anything like OZ....it isn't!!
I can only say, if anyone is currently in NZ pondering the move to OZ or back home, I would say if you an afford to try OZ....try it!!
We are so glad we did.
Hi we feel the same we moved to Canberra in June after 3 months in Sydney and I have to agree we love it here we have come from the Uk. What area are you in?
Michele
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:30 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Hi there
Its really nice that you have settled in so well and are loving it in Canberra.

I have a question for you, I have parents here and they want to take a trip down probably by train. What would reccomend are must sees, places to stay and things to do and maybe a few places to eat.

Thanks
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.