Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi folks,

Just a quick update.

Flights booked (not paid for yet) with IOM (from your visa paperwork, cheapest and 40kg)

Temp furnished accommodation booked in Mornington Victoria for 32 nights

Waiting for all quotes back from shipping companies. We have approx 37 cubic meters apparently which is over the 20ft container so more stuff has to be given away!!!!!, not even taking any bedroom furniture only our bed not kids or wardrobes or chests nothing cannot believe we have that much.

Contacted schools and med center to get docs for Australia.

Now got to sell cars (this will kill me because I know we will not get much for them)

Anyway will keep you all posted.

Cheryl

Oh we fly on 15th April

NOT SLEEPING AT MO
Hi Cheryl

Stunned to see that 37 cu metres is over the 20ft container We had 50 cu metres when we came here That said we're planning on getting rid of a lot of stuff. Please keep us posted with your quotes/efforts to get everything in the container - as you know we're very much in the same boat.

Only 331 days left at work

TTFN
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Craig822
Hi Cheryl

Stunned to see that 37 cu metres is over the 20ft container We had 50 cu metres when we came here That said we're planning on getting rid of a lot of stuff. Please keep us posted with your quotes/efforts to get everything in the container - as you know we're very much in the same boat.

Only 331 days left at work

TTFN
Hi Craig,

Have every intention of sharing the info collected over the last couple of weeks. Contacted the Removal Group spoke to jamie they have quoted £3,850 for 20ft container. Also contacted our old favourites M7S Shipping who have come up with the same quote. Removal Group use F&N for packing and ship from nearest port Hamburg. Also have requested quotes from Robinsons (Hasenkamp is there local German representative) very impressed with them on survey but await quote. Also Allied Pickfords (local German company came around today also). White and Co also quoted but not my front runner as they have been a little disorganised so far.

Will keep you posted with all the quotes as they come in.

20ft container holds 28 - 30 cubic meters, we like you had 57 cubic meters on move 15 months ago. They say 28 cubic meters to allow for extra wrapping and packing materials than standard survey. I can tell you that I am shocked that we will not fit our stuff in because we have no bedroom stuff for kids at all (using Army beds and have put Kates Ikea bed up in the NAAFI for sale). Only limited furniture because we have never had wardrobes or dressing tables or even chest of drawers. Kids bikes up for sale our bikes will be dumped so we have had major clear out and still over!!!!!!.

Will let you see our inventory so you can guage how much you can fit in when it all goes.

Happy New Year to you all by the way should be intresting for both our families

Cheryl
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Craig,

Have every intention of sharing the info collected over the last couple of weeks. Contacted the Removal Group spoke to jamie they have quoted £3,850 for 20ft container. Also contacted our old favourites M7S Shipping who have come up with the same quote. Removal Group use F&N for packing and ship from nearest port Hamburg. Also have requested quotes from Robinsons (Hasenkamp is there local German representative) very impressed with them on survey but await quote. Also Allied Pickfords (local German company came around today also). White and Co also quoted but not my front runner as they have been a little disorganised so far.

Will keep you posted with all the quotes as they come in.

20ft container holds 28 - 30 cubic meters, we like you had 57 cubic meters on move 15 months ago. They say 28 cubic meters to allow for extra wrapping and packing materials than standard survey. I can tell you that I am shocked that we will not fit our stuff in because we have no bedroom stuff for kids at all (using Army beds and have put Kates Ikea bed up in the NAAFI for sale). Only limited furniture because we have never had wardrobes or dressing tables or even chest of drawers. Kids bikes up for sale our bikes will be dumped so we have had major clear out and still over!!!!!!.

Will let you see our inventory so you can guage how much you can fit in when it all goes.

Happy New Year to you all by the way should be intresting for both our families

Cheryl
Cheryl

Thanks for that - lots of good gen. I was also intending to get a quote from M&S as I noticed in their paperwork that they did private international moves.

We don't have too much bedroom furniture either, and we're getting rid of the dining table. We do have loads of other stuff to compensate though so we're a bit worried now

We were also intending on buying 4 new bikes before we went too!

Anyway, appreciate you keeping us in the picture. All the best for 2008 too.

Last edited by Craig822; Jan 10th 2008 at 5:55 pm. Reason: Grammar again - God, I'm hopeless!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:30 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Well - it's one year today for us!!! Happy Australia Day indeed. I've done a one year update separately. Hope you are all well.

Lou
xx
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weasy
Hi guys

Well - it's one year today for us!!! Happy Australia Day indeed. I've done a one year update separately. Hope you are all well.

Lou
xx
Hi Lou,

So sorry not managed to catch up recently, Garry is away on a course in UK has been for 4 weeks. We fly 15th April have booked Robinsons for move and house on the market and had two low offers in so far.

Hope you are all well, going now to read your update.

Cheryl
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:44 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheryl

I've been following some of your posts (lurking I suppose ). I did tell you that we'll be in Melbourne for the weekend from the 19th to the 22nd of April didn't I?

Lou
xx

Hi Lou,

So sorry not managed to catch up recently, Garry is away on a course in UK has been for 4 weeks. We fly 15th April have booked Robinsons for move and house on the market and had two low offers in so far.

Hope you are all well, going now to read your update.

Cheryl
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Weasy
Hi Cheryl

I've been following some of your posts (lurking I suppose ). I did tell you that we'll be in Melbourne for the weekend from the 19th to the 22nd of April didn't I?

Lou
xx
Lou we move into our apartment in Mornington on 19th April you have my mobile if you want to catch up over some wine

Cheryl
Old May 12th 2008, 2:23 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone heard how Cheryl, Garry and the family are getting on? I hope it's all gone OK. Anyone? Lou?
Old May 13th 2008, 2:22 am
Look at moi!!!

I got a couple of text messages and they were moving into their rental. Didn't manage to meet up when we were in Melbourne. I'll text her again I reckon.

A bit of an update from us - we may be moving!!!! Chaz's company wants to relocate us to....................... Salt Lake City . I'm all over the place about it to be honest as I love it here and we haven't got our citizenship yet. But, it would be a big career leap for him.

OMG, so confused.

How is everyone else?

Lou
xx

Last edited by Weasy; May 13th 2008 at 3:22 am.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:05 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

OMG, what a change...that's a tough call isn't it? How long do you have until citizenship? I would terrified of going there and hating it. Gosh, that's a big one.

You can't go yet, we haven't got there yet!

Hope it all works out for you whatever happens, glad to hear that Cheryl and the gang have got there. If you text can you say hi from Kerry and Steve.

Big hugs as you pace around the room!

Kez x
Old May 19th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
OMG, what a change...that's a tough call isn't it? How long do you have until citizenship? I would terrified of going there and hating it. Gosh, that's a big one.

You can't go yet, we haven't got there yet!

Hope it all works out for you whatever happens, glad to hear that Cheryl and the gang have got there. If you text can you say hi from Kerry and Steve.

Big hugs as you pace around the room!

Kez x

Hi Guys,

So sorry but we are not on line yet so have not been able to update everyone.

I have started work in the city looking after a portfolio of properties, great job but started so quick that I have not caught my breath yet. We have a rental property which we move into on Tuesday 5 bed house on 2.5 acres bought by brit couple who are moving over in January. We have rented until November and plan to buy before having to move out. We want the same type of property so we thought we would try before we buy!!!!.

Sorry I didnt meet up with Weazy. It was an unbeilevable busy time.

I will admit to going through moments of panic (have we done the right thing!) but on the positive side the kids love their new schools and life! Kate is playing netball for school Matthew is so Aussi in just 3 weeks. The new house will help us feel a little more settled, having no home phone is a killer.

Will update further when on - line.

Hugs to everyone from the Stevens family in OZ

Cheryl
Old May 20th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Cor, you're here Cheryl? How time has flown. And Lou, don't do it. You spent such a lot of time and effort getting over here! We have a situation of full employment here at the moment and salaries seem to be very good compared to the UK. Perhaps there's an opportunity for OH to look for a job locally?

We've been here for two years now. Took a citizenship test the other day. It's 45 minutes, but did it in 2 mins 30 and got 100%. I think you can work out that it's not too onerous! We bought a house (or got a large debt, however you want to look at it) in Sydney and love it here. Jobs going well. Liver still intact. But not finding it very sociable - unless we travel to Brisbo, Melbourne, Canberra where we have friends and family. Jury still out on whether this move will be a short or long-term one. Maybe off to Perth soon. Lacey, fancy a chinwag?
Old May 20th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

ps. it's really, really nice to see this thread up and running. Perhaps the mysterious IceQueen can be tempted out of the surf in Manly to give us an update. Haven't heard a thing from her since she left Holland.
Old May 21st 2008, 2:11 am
Look at moi!!!

I might have no choice Orange. OH really wants the job and it would be a HUGE move careerwise, he'd hold it against me if I said no.... All is not lost, the company is going to sit down with us and work out what we can do so that we still get our citizenship (it's an Australian registered company) and we're not selling up here. We'll know more after next week as the company is flying us to the States for a look see.

Glad to see things are going well for you too and I agree it would be GREAT to hear from Icequeen, SAredback, etc etc. Cath where are you? Stuart do you still check in now and again?

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by orange&
Cor, you're here Cheryl? How time has flown. And Lou, don't do it. You spent such a lot of time and effort getting over here! We have a situation of full employment here at the moment and salaries seem to be very good compared to the UK. Perhaps there's an opportunity for OH to look for a job locally?

We've been here for two years now. Took a citizenship test the other day. It's 45 minutes, but did it in 2 mins 30 and got 100%. I think you can work out that it's not too onerous! We bought a house (or got a large debt, however you want to look at it) in Sydney and love it here. Jobs going well. Liver still intact. But not finding it very sociable - unless we travel to Brisbo, Melbourne, Canberra where we have friends and family. Jury still out on whether this move will be a short or long-term one. Maybe off to Perth soon. Lacey, fancy a chinwag?
Old May 21st 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gosh, you're really flexible. My brother's family are refusing to move 1.5 hours up the road and telling him that 'he needs to think about his family, not just himself.' He now has a 1.5 hour car journey twice a day. I find this attitude unbelievable when he is the main breadwinner. My response is that if his OH wants to stay put, she should pull her finger out and get a good job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.