Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:21 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Smile Re: Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Hello All,

I am on face book and have written an update about us:

ROCKINGHAM,1 hour South of Perth.

I keep being asked questions if any one can help answer any that would be great.

I will try and find the british expats bit on Facebook but am just starting out so may take a while but will be good to keep in touch with everyone.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Is anyone in Perth, we could always meet up. Our social network is taking time as we don't have children, I don't work and hubbie works an hour away.

We know we have made the right decision though, we have just got a dog and joined the dog club that will get us to know people.

Anyway keep in touch.

Angie
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Originally Posted by markrj
Cheryl,

Just got on the old thread to find your got it!! bit late to say Congrats, but well meaning nevertheless.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Angie
Angie,

Thank you so much, still a little dazed by it all. Once you get the Visa the next lot of stress comes I suppose I wasnt expecting that . Anyway we are off to Oz in October and so excited about that and then the planned move.

Thanks again for congratulations Angie,

Cheryl
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Hello All,

I am on face book and have written an update about us:

ROCKINGHAM,1 hour South of Perth.

I keep being asked questions if any one can help answer any that would be great.

I will try and find the british expats bit on Facebook but am just starting out so may take a while but will be good to keep in touch with everyone.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Is anyone in Perth, we could always meet up. Our social network is taking time as we don't have children, I don't work and hubbie works an hour away.

We know we have made the right decision though, we have just got a dog and joined the dog club that will get us to know people.

Anyway keep in touch.

Angie

Hi Angie, I've avoided saying this so far, but our social life is completely rubbish in Sydney. Like you we don't have kids, I travel a lot out of the country for work, and we're not the types to go and join a running club or something. We simply haven't found anything to replace the UK pub culture, where, whether you know people or not, you always end up having a good evening. We have friends (British) in Canberra and Brisbane, but the network hasn't really expanded in Sydney. There's a group of CBD workers who meet on a Thursday, but most are 15 years younger than us so we're on a different wave-length. This isn't a complaint because I know that we have to make it all happen, but if anyone has any bright ideas about how to tap into the Sydney northern beaches networks, do let me know!!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Craig,

We must keep in touch. We will be going to Perth in November staying with friends in Tapping (ex AGC who has got a job doing admin and some finance in University and gets pretty sum of $120,000 +sup for the pleasure). He loves Perth and is so happy with job, says that the University feels "familiar", behind walls on campus and goes to gym at lunch time, like the mod without the jerks!. Anyway we will say hi to Perth for you. We have never been to Perth so we hope it does not unsettle us from our plans?

Would be interested in sharing info on shipping companies because like you we will be going from Europe not UK. We could be jetting off at the same time?.
To be honest Garry only had to give 6 months notice so we technically could go any time from Feb 08 but I am on a bit of a sweet package here and unless I get a good job offered before end of contract we will not go early and Garry wants to study.

Keep in touch,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

Sorry not replied sooner, but it was our little girls 8th birthday this week-end so been really busy. I can't believe you're visiting Perth and Tapping in particular! we looked at 2 houses there when we bought - its a quite a new area and about 15 - 20 mins from the coast. You will go past our house on your way to the beach!! Perhaps you wouldn't mind doing a 'drive by' of our house if you do go that way - i'll PM you the address if you don't mind. Just interested to hear that everything looks OK from the outside. If Garry is into golf then he'll be dead jealous of the location!

I'm in the RAF equivalent of the AGC so interested to hear about your friend. Could you ask what qualifications are worth getting to help get a job as an Office Manager/Admin Officer? it would be useful.

I'll let you know about the mover quotes/companies etc. when we get going with them. The one we had was at www.removalgroup.com They gave us a quote of £3,400 for a 20ft container/3 bed-semi. Have to say though that they did that without doing an assessment in person.

Anyway, enjoy Perth - make sure to get on a boat and see the humpback whales as they head north - its something I'll never forget.

2 weeks and 4 days to go until my notice goes in!

Last edited by Craig822; Sep 17th 2007 at 7:18 pm. Reason: rubbish grammar and spelling - doh!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig822
Hi Cheryl

Sorry not replied sooner, but it was our little girls 8th birthday this week-end so been really busy. I can't believe you're visiting Perth and Tapping in particular! we looked at 2 houses there when we bought - its a quite a new area and about 15 - 20 mins from the coast. You will go past our house on your way to the beach!! Perhaps you wouldn't mind doing a 'drive by' of our house if you do go that way - i'll PM you the address if you don't mind. Just interested to hear that everything looks OK from the outside. If Garry is into golf then he'll be dead jealous of the location!

I'm in the RAF equivalent of the AGC so interested to hear about your friend. Could you ask what qualifications are worth getting to help get a job as an Office Manager/Admin Officer? it would be useful.

I'll let you know about the mover quotes/companies etc. when we get going with them. The one we had was at www.removalgroup.com They gave us a quote of £3,400 for a 20ft container/3 bed-semi. Have to say though that they did that without doing an assessment in person.

Anyway, enjoy Perth - make sure to get on a boat and see the humpback whales as they head north - its something I'll never forget.

2 weeks and 4 days to go until my notice goes in!
I live in your suburb too, my kids go to the local school. If I can help in anyway before you get here just shout (daughter of ex RAF WO)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I live in your suburb too, my kids go to the local school. If I can help in anyway before you get here just shout (daughter of ex RAF WO)
Hi folks just a quick chat really as I miss you all.

Its less than 4 weeks till we go on our validation trip. Re-done CV booked onto a river cruise with the RICS (Chartered Surveyors), wont know anyone but it will be a great chance to network and they all cannot escape!!! free booze and I think the first few glasses will give me a bit of Dutch courage. Anyway booked into Big4 in Frankston (Melbourne) and staying there for 18 days and then onto Adelaide to spend a day with mate and hopefully see Lou? and then onto Perth for three days and then to Hong Kong where I used to live and then back to Germany (if hubby can drag me back onto the plane.

Anyway not sure what we should do, open bank accounts, see schools, and look at the precise area to live. Too early for medicare, to early for tax file number etc. AM I MISSING ANYTHING?

Anyway starting to get excited

Craig, Garry did his re-settlement course last week he is still smiling by the way. He is doing a few courses and has an excellent looking CV. He is going to do AAT (Accounting technician) and for re-settlement he is doing a diploma in Admin and Finance (4 week course)

Cheryl

Cheryl
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:04 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice

Originally Posted by orange&
Hi Angie, I've avoided saying this so far, but our social life is completely rubbish in Sydney. Like you we don't have kids, I travel a lot out of the country for work, and we're not the types to go and join a running club or something. We simply haven't found anything to replace the UK pub culture, where, whether you know people or not, you always end up having a good evening. We have friends (British) in Canberra and Brisbane, but the network hasn't really expanded in Sydney. There's a group of CBD workers who meet on a Thursday, but most are 15 years younger than us so we're on a different wave-length. This isn't a complaint because I know that we have to make it all happen, but if anyone has any bright ideas about how to tap into the Sydney northern beaches networks, do let me know!!
Orange,

Its hard isn't it. We got a dog and have joined a dog club. We have met so many nice and helpful people. I am at home during the day so it works well for us. I know dogs are not for everyone, we did bite off more than we can chew with our dog, she is 3 years old and suffers from fear agression on other dogs. She is great in everything else, she doesn't chew shoes, furniture and is good with children and adults alike. So we are going to have a long term struggle to get her to accept other dogs. We also have joined a dancing class locally, and thoroughly enjoy it. The only other suggestion that I have is to volunteer for something, be it the local charity shop or other organisation. You might find some people that way. They dont have to become best friends, just casual aquaintances that if you bump into them in the pub you can have a pint with. There must be something you enjoy doing, pottery, arts, craft, music etc. perhaps do a course in something at the local tafe. It is afterall not important what you are doing just the fact you are out there you will meet people. Get a job in the bar. Sounds silly but you will get to know the regulars very quickly. Hope something works for you.

Angie
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Orange,

Its hard isn't it. We got a dog and have joined a dog club. We have met so many nice and helpful people. I am at home during the day so it works well for us. I know dogs are not for everyone, we did bite off more than we can chew with our dog, she is 3 years old and suffers from fear agression on other dogs. She is great in everything else, she doesn't chew shoes, furniture and is good with children and adults alike. So we are going to have a long term struggle to get her to accept other dogs. We also have joined a dancing class locally, and thoroughly enjoy it. The only other suggestion that I have is to volunteer for something, be it the local charity shop or other organisation. You might find some people that way. They dont have to become best friends, just casual aquaintances that if you bump into them in the pub you can have a pint with. There must be something you enjoy doing, pottery, arts, craft, music etc. perhaps do a course in something at the local tafe. It is afterall not important what you are doing just the fact you are out there you will meet people. Get a job in the bar. Sounds silly but you will get to know the regulars very quickly. Hope something works for you.

Angie
Hi Angie,

Yes, all good ideas. Things are beginning to pick up a bit since I wrote my last (slightly miserable) note... had an excellent night out last night with other half's work mates, and settling down into our new house makes the whole 'being in Australia' thing feel more permanent and therefore more real. Things can only pick up on the social front. Unfortunately I don't have time to work behind a bar - wastes too much good drinking time. Tee hee! Off to buy some toys for our swimming pool tomorrow... fitness ones such as floats, and silly ones such blow up palm trees. Can't wait!!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:01 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Smile Re: Updates from the "Pre-July 139ers"

Originally Posted by orange&
Hi Angie,

Yes, all good ideas. Things are beginning to pick up a bit since I wrote my last (slightly miserable) note... had an excellent night out last night with other half's work mates, and settling down into our new house makes the whole 'being in Australia' thing feel more permanent and therefore more real. Things can only pick up on the social front. Unfortunately I don't have time to work behind a bar - wastes too much good drinking time. Tee hee! Off to buy some toys for our swimming pool tomorrow... fitness ones such as floats, and silly ones such blow up palm trees. Can't wait!!
Orange,

I think we all need to give our selves a kick up the bum and then everything just happens. We have met lots of new people and we hope to turn many of them into friends. The dog club is really sociable, and the dancing I think we are going to try somewhere else, that class was too slow a pace for us. We have 15years dance experience and 4 medals between us, and they teach at beginners pace and dont seperate the levels and we found we knew the steps in 5 min and had to stand and dance them for the next 55mins. We are trying a proper school rather than something at the local community centre. We might go back though if the dance school is no better. We are used to London and the choices that come in dance there are amaizing, Perth is slightly behind but I am sure will catch up eventually. We need a Salsa Night club!!!!

Take care

Angie
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Folks,

Well we had a great time on our validation trip been back three weeks and it seems an eternity. We have made a decision based upon our recent trip, we are going a year earlier than planned, we can no longer live a life of limbo and delay our kids settling into their future life. We have found the most fantastic school (private but worth it) in a bush setting near the coast, a little alternative but I wish they had schools like that when I was a kid!.

We have booked one months furnished rental and have contacted the school so the kids start on 29th April and we fly on 17th April. We have no jobs organised and thats the scarey bit as we are leaving a free 5 bed house and great salary to go (overseas package for Germany) but we are fed up with limbo not investing in life here because we are going to Australia

Anyway folks look out for my update after we move over.

Look out land of golden beaches, parrakeets and cockatoos here we come!!!

Cheryl
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:36 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Wahooo - gosh wish we could go earlier. It does make it all very real when you go over and validate, why wait. Go! Go and enjoy the new beginnings. Fantastic news, really chuffed for you all!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Wahooo - gosh wish we could go earlier. It does make it all very real when you go over and validate, why wait. Go! Go and enjoy the new beginnings. Fantastic news, really chuffed for you all!
So glad to hear from you. Must admit not been on here for ages, I am relieved in a way as I thought I would have to go to The Priory to detox my daily fix of expats. Anyway great to hear from you seacaptain how was your trip?

Cheryl
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
So glad to hear from you. Must admit not been on here for ages, I am relieved in a way as I thought I would have to go to The Priory to detox my daily fix of expats. Anyway great to hear from you seacaptain how was your trip?

Cheryl
Hi folks,

Just a quick update.

Flights booked (not paid for yet) with IOM (from your visa paperwork, cheapest and 40kg)

Temp furnished accommodation booked in Mornington Victoria for 32 nights

Waiting for all quotes back from shipping companies. We have approx 37 cubic meters apparently which is over the 20ft container so more stuff has to be given away!!!!!, not even taking any bedroom furniture only our bed not kids or wardrobes or chests nothing cannot believe we have that much.

Contacted schools and med center to get docs for Australia.

Now got to sell cars (this will kill me because I know we will not get much for them)

Anyway will keep you all posted.

Cheryl

Oh we fly on 15th April

NOT SLEEPING AT MO
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:13 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

OMG OMG how exciting!!

I have butterflies for you! x
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
OMG OMG how exciting!!

I have butterflies for you! x
Great to hear from you Seacaptain (Kez) its not often I go on here anymore and I sort of miss my chats with everyone.

Hope you are both well and the studying is going well

Cheryl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.